Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dauphin Island, Alabama?

This year, for our now annual, Christmas get away, we’ve chosen Dauphine Island in the Alabama Gulf shore. We are checking into the campground on the island on the 26th and pulling out on the 31st.

We plan on heading up to Mobile for a day trip as well as just meandering about on the motorcycle. We have our dog with us so this campground has a trail that leads right to the beach so we also plan on spending a lot of time there.

Is anyone else going to be there during that time?
Does anyone have an suggestions on things to do and see while we’re there?
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2011, 12:09 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you like the old forts visit Fort Gaines there on Dauphin Island. Take the ferry across to the eastside of the bay and explore Fort Morgan.

Take Ft Morgan road into AL 59. Take a right and go a few blocks until you see the Original Oyster House Welcome to the Original Oyster House . Have a great lunch or supper.

On the Mobile westside, see Bellingrath Gardens and Home at 12401 Bellingrath Gardens Road, Theodore, AL 36582. http://www.bellingrath.org/. Their Christmas lights are something to see.

On the eastside of Mobile explore the battleship USS Alabama and other exhibits at Battleship Park USS ALABAMA BATTLESHIP on the causeway going over to Daphne. Take I-10 east out of Mobile.

For little shopping go on across the causeway and take the second exit. Turn left and on the northside of the interstate there is a nice shopping center on the right with good stores and several restaurants. In there Wintzell's of Daphne Wintzell's Oyster House > General Info will have some outstanding oysters on the halfshell and other great food.

Enjoy yourselves.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:37 AM   #3

Dauphin island campground is our favorite campground since 2004
we use to be there on november and december but we find that to cold so we will be there february and march this year
Skipper sea food store on the island also if you like grooper restaurant name is Barnacel Bill we are in florida right now and we dream to Dauphin island
Andrew
Andrew from Québec Ca NKK#16343
2004 Kountry Star 3904 Cummins 330 ISC towing a Jeep Cherooke Trail Hawk 2016,Blue Ox.and Buddy Brake ,TMS,
AndrewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:08 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
if you want to drive about 60 miles, head over to Pensacola NAS, neat Navy aviation museum over there.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:32 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is really great! Thank you all for the information. We spent on year in Gulf Shores in Foley and we were surprised how cold it was. I was hoping it was abnormally cold when we planned this upcoming trip. Hopefully it won't be as windy and rainy as it was that year
Old 12-09-2011, 05:43 AM   #6
paz

I second historyljc's suggestions for Fort Morgan and Fort Gaines, the USS Alabama and Bellingrath Gardens. Bellingrath has a Christmas light display at night, and they should be all decked out with their poinsettia displays that you can see during the day.

If you take the ferry across to the east side of the bay and you have time, drive to Pensacola to see the Naval Aviation Museum at Pensacola Naval Air Station. It's very well done and it's free. Unfortunately, the Blue Angels are in their winter home of El Centro, CA this time of year, so you won't be able to watch them practice.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:30 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Yup third the Forts! Also Dauphin Island is a lovely bicycle spot. Bring your bikes and take a ride around the beaches. Some very decent bird watching too. You'll be right next to a nature walk where you can spot them.

We stayed last year and really enjoyed the whole area!
Old 12-09-2011, 07:08 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Some really positive posts here. Thank you all. I'm hoping the winter will be moderate there at least. Up here in Jersey it's getting pretty cold!
Old 12-20-2011, 12:11 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yikes! I just forund this review and it's only three days until we leave! I hope I don't regret this!!!!!

“Worst campground EVER!"”
Reviewed July 29, 2011
Before driving 14 hours to get to Dauphin Island, we had reviewed the campground's website and pictures, so we had high hopes of the seclusion and beauty shown on the Internet ( a quick note: there are NO pictures of your typical site...now we know why... Upon arrival, we noticed there were campers and boats parked in the grass at the chain-linked fence entrance. When we went inside to check in, we were told at least 3 times that there were no refunds. We found our site (#20) and were shocked to see how packed the place was. The campers next to us could not fully extend their awning because we were so close. We didn't unhitch, but decided to walk down to the beach. The first stop was the bath house. My husand went inside and said it was terrible. He said it looked like they had done nothing to maintain the place in years. The boardwalk was long and not someplace I'd want to walk after dark. We did see one empty site right at the beginning of the boardwalk. Because it was a shorter walk to the beach and not as crowded, we walked back to the office to see if they could move us. The elderly assistant manager said the site was already reserved, but she could show a few others to us. As we drove through the campground in her golfcart, we had to stop on several occasions to allow drunks and very small unsupervised children to get out of the road. The other site offered was closer to the beach but backed up to the chainlinked fence. We told her we'd stay where we were. On the way back to site #20, the asst. manager again stopped several times to talk with other campers who were obviously VERY intoxicated. (Don't get me wrong; we enjoy drinking wine and beer, but these people were staggering) My husband and I got back to our site and contacted friends to let them know how terrible the place was. They got online and found a vacancy at Topsail State Park in Florida. After they booked it for us, we heated up some soup for dinner (my husband was leary of grilling out after dark) we went to bed. Shortly before 7:30, we were up the next morning and went to check out. Since it was made clear to me that there were no refunds, I didn't even ask for my money back even though we'd paid for 3 nights. The only good thing about the island was leaving it. We took the ferry across the bay to get us to Florida. If you are use to tightly packed camping, drunk campers, and unsupervised children, you might enjoy this place. We're use to state parks that have regulations, maintain the grounds, and enforce policies. I was very embarrassed to come home to let everyone know that so much driving time on our 5 day trip was wasted on getting to such an awful place.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to gordons1
Suggestion..,go east to gulf shores state park... They offer the best bang for your camping dollar anywhere. Also, they can handle over 1,000 rv's...overflow can go to many local campgrounds...advise you to call ahead. Check their web site.
gordons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
We stayed at Lake Osprey RV Resort in Nov 11. It is east of Foley, but in the general area. Very quiet, concrete drives and pads, and FREE washer/dryers(imagine that!). Next to a nice golf course. Although I rarely make recommendations,I can recommend this park.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:56 PM   #12

Another option is Big Lagoon State Park just west of Pensacola. Very nice park, but on the bay, not the gulf, so you will have to drive a few minutes to get to the beaches on the gulf. If you want to camp in some beautiful woods on a river or lake, here is my review of four campgrounds just east of Pensacola in the Blackwater River State Park: Blackwater River State Park and State Forest - Fiberglass RV
And here's my review of Topsail:
Topsail and Grayton Beach State Parks - in Florida Panhandle - Fiberglass RV
Yarcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:06 PM   #13

We will be at Henderson SP, Grayton Beach SP, St Joseph Peninsula SP, and Destin Army Rec in Jan.... Our first trip down, so hoping our reviews will be good ones.... We are booked and paid..... Hope you find a great place...
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:10 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I have to admit we liked the spot. It's true the campground is somewhat on the older side, and campsites are very basic but we really enjoyed the surrounding area and the fact that we could walk pooch on the beach each day directly from the campground. I think it just depends on what you expect.

I have pics and my own review on the blog here:
http://wheelingit.wordpress.com/2011...hin-island-al/

And you can check out pics of the area here
http://wheelingit.wordpress.com/2011...hin-island-al/

Personally I would go back, but we're more about the area than the individual campground.