Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2018, 10:32 AM   #1

DC Memorial Day

We will be in DC for 14 days including Memorial Day weekend & Memorial day.

I have questions concerning a couple of events.

Does anyone know if the program at Arlington National Cemetery(Memorial Amphitheater) is open to the public?

If so do you need tickets or reservations?

I also would like a few tips on watching the parade on Memorial day.

Best place to watch from, are chairs allowed, etc?

Any info you could pass along about the concert Memorial Day evening?

We are staying at Cherry Hill RV park in College Park and will be using the Metro to access DC.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2018, 03:16 PM   #2

We were at Cherry Hill the week of the Rolling Thunder/Memorial Day week in 2016. I found the staff at CHP to be incredibly informative about the DC area. You might just give them a call to get answers to your questions. Locals always seem to have the the answers. I can say that in town traffic was really a pain. We are glad that we took the subway into town each day.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #3

OK thanks. I'll check with them when I'm there.

Just was hoping for some personal experiences from those who have attended these events during Memorial day.

I would like to be at Arlington in the morning for the program at the Amphitheater and was hoping to get some info on this, especially if passes are needed.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:55 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman1 View Post
We will be in DC for 14 days including Memorial Day weekend & Memorial day.

I have questions concerning a couple of events.

Does anyone know if the program at Arlington National Cemetery(Memorial Amphitheater) is open to the public?

If so do you need tickets or reservations?

I also would like a few tips on watching the parade on Memorial day.

Best place to watch from, are chairs allowed, etc?

Any info you could pass along about the concert Memorial Day evening?

We are staying at Cherry Hill RV park in College Park and will be using the Metro to access DC.
Wireman- we lived in the DC area for 10 years and loved it. I attended one the wreath laying ceremony. It was amazing and worth the hassle. Tickets are not necessary but if you want to be near the Tomb of the Unknown you must arrive early and stake out your space. You can metro to Arlington with a couple of changes. No chairs allowed for this so if you go down for the day it will be a long one with no chairs. We never went to the parade or concert but for most events you can take chairs or blankets. All events are crowded. Best advice is use the metro and toilets near the Washington Monument or in museums if you don't like port-a-johns. Be prepared to walk 5-8 miles for the day. Check the DC website for security restrictions.
Speckled Hen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckled Hen View Post
Wireman- we lived in the DC area for 10 years and loved it. I attended one the wreath laying ceremony. It was amazing and worth the hassle. Tickets are not necessary but if you want to be near the Tomb of the Unknown you must arrive early and stake out your space. You can metro to Arlington with a couple of changes. No chairs allowed for this so if you go down for the day it will be a long one with no chairs. We never went to the parade or concert but for most events you can take chairs or blankets. All events are crowded. Best advice is use the metro and toilets near the Washington Monument or in museums if you don't like port-a-johns. Be prepared to walk 5-8 miles for the day. Check the DC website for security restrictions.
Thanks for the info. This will probably the last trip to DC for this old horse.

I'd like to get in as much as possible and I chose Memorial day for this reason.

The spaceships aren't a bother to me to use. I've seen the worst of them on construction sites.

Will definitely use the Metro as much as possible.

When you say early, 8AM or before?

In 1990 we visited on the 4th of July and watched the fireworks from the Lincoln Memorial. Awe inspiring.

We're spending 2 weeks in the DC area so hope to check off all the boxes.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:45 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Check out the Arlington National Cemetery website for times and events. I think I was there by 7:30 and had a great view. (But long wait)
"The U.S. Army Military District of Washington will conduct a Presidential Armed Forces Full Honors Wreath-Laying Ceremony at 11 a.m., at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, to be followed by an observance program hosted by the Department of Defense in the cemetery's Memorial Amphitheater. A musical prelude by the United States Air Force Band will begin in the amphitheater at 10:30 a.m.
Both the wreath-laying ceremony and the observance program are free and open to the general public. No tickets are needed to attend these events. Space is limited to standing room only for the wreath-laying ceremony and seating is available on a first-come, first-served basis in the amphitheater. Attendees are encouraged to be at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier or seated in the amphitheater by 9:30 a.m."
Old 03-14-2018, 06:48 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
BTW - the Smithsonian Air & Space museum , Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, Virginia is amazing.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Check out the Arlington National Cemetery website for times and events. I think I was there by 7:30 and had a great view. (But long wait)
"The U.S. Army Military District of Washington will conduct a Presidential Armed Forces Full Honors Wreath-Laying Ceremony at 11 a.m., at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, to be followed by an observance program hosted by the Department of Defense in the cemetery's Memorial Amphitheater. A musical prelude by the United States Air Force Band will begin in the amphitheater at 10:30 a.m.
Both the wreath-laying ceremony and the observance program are free and open to the general public. No tickets are needed to attend these events. Space is limited to standing room only for the wreath-laying ceremony and seating is available on a first-come, first-served basis in the amphitheater. Attendees are encouraged to be at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier or seated in the amphitheater by 9:30 a.m."
Thanks, I googled Arlington but didn't find any difinitive times, etc.

I did know about the 2 locations for the Air & Space museum. Plan on hitting both.

Hopefully 2 weeks will get me time for my have to see places.

Another question, what's your take on the Circulator bus line around the DC area?

I don't remember that on my last visit in 1990. 28 years does affect the memory though.

Thinking about a night tour of the monuments also. Sunset parade at Marine Barracks Washington is a must and on and on and on.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #9

We signed up for a sunset/night time bus tour (through the kind folks at Cherry Hill) of the area the day before the Rolling Thunder Motorcycle Ride. I can’t recall all that we saw, but was quite moved to be at the Marine Memorial at sunset. If we were to do it again, I wouldn’t do the tour the night before Rolling Thunder. There were many blocked roads because of pre-staging for the following days events. DC has so many wonderful places to visit.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:03 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
https://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/Ne...al-Day-weekend

Never used the circulator / hop on hop off bus, but if walking is a concern it would probably be worth it. DC is very walkable and safe in the monument / Smithsonian area, but miles add up fast especially if you do museums as well.

The monuments at night are worth seeing. If you go a few days after Memorial Day you should be able to drive around and find parking if the bus tour isn't your thing.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:30 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
2 off the beaten track sites worth a visit are the National Arboretum for Bonsai & Penjing Museum and Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens although lotus and lily flowers won't be at peak.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
We signed up for a sunset/night time bus tour (through the kind folks at Cherry Hill) of the area the day before the Rolling Thunder Motorcycle Ride. I can’t recall all that we saw, but was quite moved to be at the Marine Memorial at sunset. If we were to do it again, I wouldn’t do the tour the night before Rolling Thunder. There were many blocked roads because of pre-staging for the following days events. DC has so many wonderful places to visit.
Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:51 PM   #13

Quote:
https://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/Ne...al-Day-weekend

Never used the circulator / hop on hop off bus, but if walking is a concern it would probably be worth it. DC is very walkable and safe in the monument / Smithsonian area, but miles add up fast especially if you do museums as well.

The monuments at night are worth seeing. If you go a few days after Memorial Day you should be able to drive around and find parking if the bus tour isn't your thing.
Wife does have some knee issues so I will check the Circulator out.

Thanks for the link.

I know the day parking at meters is limited to, I believe 3 hours. Do you know if evening parking is the same limits?

The arboritum sounds interesting.

Not sure about the bus night tour yet. Sounds like the folks at Cherry Hill can arrange about anything.