Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2022, 06:15 PM   #1

Deposit to secure site for 3 nights

We were looking to stay at Georgian Bay Park in Ontario for 3 nights in May and they asked for a $300 deposit along with the $197 rate all to be sent via e-transfer. I would have figured out the e-transfer piece but a $300 deposit for a $200 stay seemed a bit steep. This was going to be our first stop in Canada from Niagara but with the border situation up in the air and this hiccup in our first attempt at a Canadian campground we are going to reroute and just stay in the U.S. We are fairly new to the RV life but in our first 30 or so reservations we had yet to be asked for a security deposit.
Cmftblynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2022, 06:53 PM   #2

$300 canadian or $300 US?
Old 01-06-2022, 07:22 PM   #3

It really does not specify but I am guessing they are in Canada and would expect it in Canadien funds? Also it was for two nights not three as I had noted. Also not sure what “plus host” stands for.

RE: ONE PULL THROUGH SITE

DATE: May 5 to 7, 2022 TWO NIGHTS

RATE: $198 plus hst

DEPOSIT: $300. This deposit helps to protect your vacation as park and safety rules are followed and adapters are returned.
Please send eTransfer to gbaypark@gmail.com. eTransfers make refunds easier. Refund policy on webpage.
Old 01-06-2022, 07:29 PM   #4

HST is a tax...harmonious sales tax. $300 CDN = ~$235 US. betting the $198 per nite + HST = $235 US
Old 01-06-2022, 08:22 PM   #5

'Gulp' SKIP them, but not necessarily Ontario. I looked over their website and it seems that they are trying to cater more to seasonal sites. They are in the Wasaga Beach, Georgian Bay tourist area, lots of nice places to visit.
The $99 Canadian a night seems quite high even for the area and the $300 reservation fee WOW. Any other campgrounds in the area only charge a deposit of the first nights rates and they pay the remainder when you check in.

Ken

At that time of year you are not likely to need reservations, most campgrounds don't open for the season until Mid April to the end of April or first weekend of May. Campgrounds may be busy on the weekends in May if the weather is good, but our camping season doesn't really get underway until the May 24th weekend.
Kenny Loney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 05:33 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
We visited Canada in September and it was not a disaster but we will never do it again. We had to get tested for Covid 3 different times after we got tested within 72 hrs. in the states. We were held up at the border for an hour and a half while they took apart our motorhome. The road at the border crossing was something out of "the Walking Dead" no vehicles in either direction for miles but we got picked for an enema. We had intended to go from PEI down the Canadian side to Niagara Falls but we had to jump back into Maine, Canadians wanted a fifth covid test. Needless to say no way; went by ME.,NH., VT and NY St. Lawrence Seaway 1,000 Islands etc, etc to Niagara awesome! SAVE YOUR MONEY AND SPEND IT IN THE USA WHERE YOUR WELCOMED AND APPRECIATED!!
L2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 09:32 AM   #7

You had me at enema, we have far too much to see in the US to go through all of that nonsense. I which them the best and maybe we will visit them in a later year in our travels. Thanks for the feedback!!
Old 01-09-2022, 05:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2D2 View Post
We visited Canada in September and it was not a disaster but we will never do it again. We had to get tested for Covid 3 different times after we got tested within 72 hrs. in the states. We were held up at the border for an hour and a half while they took apart our motorhome. The road at the border crossing was something out of "the Walking Dead" no vehicles in either direction for miles but we got picked for an enema. We had intended to go from PEI down the Canadian side to Niagara Falls but we had to jump back into Maine, Canadians wanted a fifth covid test. Needless to say no way; went by ME.,NH., VT and NY St. Lawrence Seaway 1,000 Islands etc, etc to Niagara awesome! SAVE YOUR MONEY AND SPEND IT IN THE USA WHERE YOUR WELCOMED AND APPRECIATED!!
I had a similar experience several years ago.....as a result, I haven't been back to canada since and have no plans to do so in the future.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 09:16 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Where we are, returning thru the US border has usually been far less friendlier than crossing into Canada. That may have changed since COVID, as we haven’t traveled North since. On the whole it sure seems everything is far more complicated these days than perhaps it needs to be.
As far as that deposit, I believe I’d pass as that's pretty steep no matter which side of the line.
Old 01-09-2022, 09:38 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by igave View Post
Where we are, returning thru the US border has usually been far less friendlier than crossing into Canada. That may have changed since COVID, as we haven’t traveled North since. On the whole it sure seems everything is far more complicated these days than perhaps it needs to be.
As far as that deposit, I believe I’d pass as that's pretty steep no matter which side of the line.
That's my experience. US return requires passport that is the only reason canada want's to see passport.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 09:54 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2D2 View Post
We were held up at the border for an hour and a half while they took apart our motorhome. The road at the border crossing was something out of "the Walking Dead" no vehicles in either direction for miles but we got picked for an enema.
Friends of ours have had that treatment 3 out of 4 years, at the US border!

It happens both ways!
Old 01-11-2022, 06:15 AM   #12

Crossing into Canada is no big deal. Simply have everything in order & comply with whatever current covid rules there are.

Fastest crossing we ever had was wheels stopped for about a minute, however we have had a bit of a shakedown as well taking almost an hour. Same with the return into the US. Most of the time maybe a minute or so wheels stopped, then on occasion we have run into THE Border Protection Agent who is having a bad day & needs a traveller to take his mood out on.

It is all part of the experience. It really is like a box of chocolates dealing with borders sometimes.
Triangle Drifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 06:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmftblynumb View Post
We were looking to stay at Georgian Bay Park in Ontario for 3 nights in May and they asked for a $300 deposit along with the $197 rate all to be sent via e-transfer. I would have figured out the e-transfer piece but a $300 deposit for a $200 stay seemed a bit steep. This was going to be our first stop in Canada from Niagara but with the border situation up in the air and this hiccup in our first attempt at a Canadian campground we are going to reroute and just stay in the U.S. We are fairly new to the RV life but in our first 30 or so reservations we had yet to be asked for a security deposit.
To be honest, this sounds very similar to hotels where they take a deposit/authorization on your credit card upon check in for more than the anticipated room rate.

This just happened to us in Colorado, where the hotel pulled an auth for almost $100 over the final bill. They explained it was to cover incidentals and in case any damage occurred.

The info from the campground seemed to indicate that the deposit was also to ensure return of adapters - perhaps they have also had problems with people leaving and taking campground property.

Their business - their rules.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 06:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmftblynumb View Post
I do not do anything but cash or credit card.
I explain that I do not perform or accept internet/online transactions.
I sometimes take it a step further and tell people that I do not have a smart phone or an email address as I am not on the internet at all.
I keep U.S. post office money orders on hand as they never expire. I have given money orders when cash wasn't accepted. The confused look on their face is priceless.
Otherwise, I move on. Too many other places to be and spend my money at.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote