Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #1

desert springs in ca

We are now in Oceanside ca, and the weather is turning a bit brisk, not something we enjoy. We would like to hear something about the desert springs area and if any of you winter there or such. Thanks a lot
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #2

Are you talking about Desert Hot Springs? If so be aware this used to be a drug hot spot a few years back. We have not stayed in the area for a few years. Actually lived in a neighboring city a while ago. Happy Trails
Old 10-16-2013, 06:54 PM   #3

Oceanside is brisk? It was 30 in the park here at Sparks, Nevada this morning. The parks I've seen in Oceanside are pricey and pretty good for their age and locale. Desert Hot Springs has nothing that appealed to me. Indian Waters in Indio was the best in the area for my tastes.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #4

We stayed there a couple years back. No evidence of criminal activity, although any time you get a mile or two outside the edge of any desert town you have to deal with the loners that live in the desert. I've never found Palm Springs to be all that great if you are not a resident or staying in a major resort.

In any SoCal location you just need to get 5-10 miles inland and the temperature goes up significantly, but nighttime temps are always cool because of the lack of cloud cover.

Locally, ElCajon is a easy drive inland, and you might look up around Fallbrook, Escondido, Ramona, that area.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check out Santee Lakes in Santee California. We had a great stay there last winter February and March. It is far enough inland to shed the onshore fog and cold.

- Santee Lakes

We stayed at Desert Hot Springs @ The Sands Golf Resort last winter. Actually we liked it for a number of reasons but literally the wind blew us right out of there. Desert Hot Springs is directly in the path of the winds that power all those electricity producing wind mills.We vowed not to return. In the final analysis for us the wind just ruined our stay.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
We stayed there a couple years back. No evidence of criminal activity, although any time you get a mile or two outside the edge of any desert town you have to deal with the loners that live in the desert.
In what way do you have to deal with the loners that live in the desert?
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #7

Not sure of the area you are referring to, east of Oceanside is Borrego Springs to the southeast and then there is Palm Springs, Desert Hot Springs along with 7 other desert cities that make up the Coachella valley, affectionately known as "The Desert" more northeast.

We have lived in "The Desert" for 9 years. Our S&B is here and we wouldn't have it anywhere else. Always something fun to do and the weather is great this time of year. There are many RV parks here and most have good reputations with folks that return year after year to spend their winters here. The parks range from Outdoor Resorts to Thousand Trails, something for everyone's taste and budget. Desert Hot Springs would be our last choice, but that's us. I would use RV park reviews to find the right one for you. As for those loners? We drive thru the outskirts of this desert all of the time, we've never had to deal with a single soul.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #8

I think my remarks were taken in the wrong way. As far as "desert dwellers" i probably have y'all beat, as I live in Ridgecrest and it's 90 miles to the nearest mall.

My point was that around every chunk of desert civilization there's a "ring" of the folks that want to live out there on their own, not be bothered, etc. That sometimes comes with property that looks more like a junkyard, as well as the people that live out there because they are doing things that they don't want to have noticed.

It's no different than back east, except back east there's enough vegetation and humidity in the air such that these places go unnoticed unless you drive right up to them. In the desert, you can see them for miles.

Folks that have come out to visit us sometimes find this "disturbing". I look on one of those places as an unofficial "no trespassing" sign.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You may want to try Pechanga RV Resort. Never stayed there have heard good thing about it, looks nice.

https://www.pechanga.com/sections/rv.../rvresort.aspx

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #10

Pechanga is very, very nice. Passport America on weekdays. Temecula has a Mediterranean climate. It will vary more than Oceanside. Won't be as warm as the Desert Hot Springs area.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree Pachanga in Temecula is very nice. Passport America is weekdays, but someone here commented if the stay into the weekend they will extend the PA rate.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote