Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2016, 09:41 AM   #1

Destin Florida recommendations

We have our site booked at topsail SP in June for 4 days. I recently found out we will have a couple extra days to go down early if we want. Topsail is full but we can get in Destin RV resort for 2 nights then move to topsail. Does anybody have any reviews on Destin RV resort? It looks nice but 1st hand reviews are always best. 2nd question...that will put us down there for 1 week. Is there enough to fill our time (when we are not on the beach)? We have several day trips planned to Pensacola and Panama city. Also we have our 8&10 year old boys with us. This area is all new to us since we have never vacationed here before. Pics I have found online look absolutely beautiful! TIA!
pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2016, 09:49 AM   #2

We were at topsail last year and are headed back again this summer. Keep calling and checking reserve America to see if any sites open up. We did that last year and got 2 extra days at Topsail.

As far as other things to do there besides the beach, most of what we found locally was just more of the same touristy crap like we have here in Orlando. There are several decent restaurants there although I can't recall the names.

If you've never been to topsail I just want to warn you it's quite a hike to the beach. They do have a tram that runs, but we used our bikes and bought a collapsible beach wagon at Walmart (with big flat sand wheels) to haul our stuff back and forth.

Hopefully some other people will chime in with better local activities than I found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacevette View Post
We have our site booked at topsail SP in June for 4 days. I recently found out we will have a couple extra days to go down early if we want. Topsail is full but we can get in Destin RV resort for 2 nights then move to topsail. Does anybody have any reviews on Destin RV resort? It looks nice but 1st hand reviews are always best. 2nd question...that will put us down there for 1 week. Is there enough to fill our time (when we are not on the beach)? We have several day trips planned to Pensacola and Panama city. Also we have our 8&10 year old boys with us. This area is all new to us since we have never vacationed here before. Pics I have found online look absolutely beautiful! TIA!
Old 04-22-2016, 05:03 PM   #3

Have been going to Destin for many years and have stayed at Destin RV Beach Resort a bunch. You will love it. It's small with only about 40 sites, has a small pool and is a short walk across old highway 98 to the beach. It is gated and secure as well so if you plan to arrive at off hours be sure to ask for the code. Price wise it is more that most folks are used to spending for an RV site, but you have to consider the cost of condos ($300-$500/night) for the time you will be there. Traffic will be very busy so it's best to venture out early in the day. Our favorite breakfast places are The Donut Hole and Another Broken Egg. Plan on waiting at each after 8AM. Many restaurants have early bird specials for dinner. If it rains or is a bad weather day you can spend time and money at the Silver Sands Outlet mall. Enjoy the sun and the sand. One of our favorite places.
Shawn E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:42 PM   #4

Another broken egg was our favorite for breakfast
Old 04-22-2016, 05:44 PM   #5

Camp Gulf
Old 04-22-2016, 06:33 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
We enjoyed Camp Gulf last fall. Planning to return this fall
Old 04-22-2016, 06:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacevette View Post

Here is something a little different. We stayed here 3-4 nights last winter & really enjoyed being around the horses. The have a dozen or so full hookup sites:

https://sites.google.com/site/arnettgulfside/
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:55 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Pensacola RV park. Was there last week for a reunion. There is another RV park, first, by the hotel, by mistake I pulled in. Had to go around the hotel parking lot to get out of there. Finally setup, I asked the office if they would recommend someone to wash and wax the rig, $260.00 Maguires paste wax, roof, sides, wheels. Well pleased.
Now in a Class C Coachman Leperchaun, trailer towing a 1950 Crosley Station wagon, or a '42 Pick-Up. Member of the Non-Affiliated Camping Group FMCA #F462997 RVM #146 Jon & Ellen
Eyephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:32 PM   #9

I'll bet my daughter would love that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Here is something a little different. We stayed here 3-4 nights last winter & really enjoyed being around the horses. The have a dozen or so full hookup sites:

https://sites.google.com/site/arnettgulfside/
Old 04-22-2016, 09:41 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Destin West is one of the best places we have stayed at. You have access to the hotel pool and beach across the street(same owner) and the park itself has water access as well back by the pool. Food places you can walk to. Need to check it out.
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:19 PM   #11

Thank you all for the recommendations! I will keep trying reserve America but I don't want to wait too long because I don't want to be without a CG. This place looks beautiful and we can not wa it to visit.
pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:03 AM   #12

As for things to do, I'll suggest that you take a day to see the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola; yes a day, and get there early. They do have decent, and reasonably priced food for lunch too.

I am not a "plane" guy, but found the museum fascinating.

This base is also the home of the Blue Angels, and you may get lucky and catch them practicing..........

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:10 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrobath View Post
Destin West is one of the best places we have stayed at. You have access to the hotel pool and beach across the street(same owner) and the park itself has water access as well back by the pool. Food places you can walk to. Need to check it out.
Hush .... too many people are finding out about Destin West and it is getting harder and harder to get in there
Destin West is on the other side of Destin from Top Sail - it is actually in Fort Walton Beach so it would be a good place to stay for a couple of days to see both sides of Destin.

When you go to Top Sail ... go to a restaurant called Stinky's. I know, sounds terrible, but has the best crawfish pie that ever was! Owner was a chef in New Orleans. We live in NOLA and I have yet to find a crawfish pie that even comes close.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:19 PM   #14

Grayton beach state park just east of Topsail, sites 37 and up are full hookup/ 50 amp sites.
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida