Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Question Destination Campground in Colorado

Hi! My husband and I took the plunge and bought a Class C motorhome recently, upgrading SIGNIFICANTLY from our cute Jayco pop-up camper. However, the disadvantage we face with the new motorhome is that we don't currently have a way to bring along a tow vehicle, so we have to drive the motorhome everywhere we go (which was a pain last year in Santa Barbara (can you say NO PARKING!) and a blessing when we took it to Sea World in San Diego and needed a respite from the heat and the crowds.).

Anyway, we're planning to go to Colorado this year and haven't yet purchased a towing device, so I was hoping someone could recommend a park that would have amenities enough that we wouldn't need to drive around a lot. We love Snow Mountain Ranch, and plan to go there for part of the trip, but we were looking for somewhere not TOO far from there to spend the short end of a week at.

We have two dogs (nice ones - a black lab and a golden retriever) and two kids (not as nice as the dogs , cuz they think they're teenagers ) that we'll be taking along with us. We love to do outdoors-y things (fish, hike, river-rafting, etc. (although I will never ride another bicycle again by all that is holy)), but we usually like to do things where we can take the dogs along, since they are outdoors-y lovers, too.

If you made it through all of this and are still willing to make a recommendation, Thank you!!!

Amy in KCMO
codyak522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2013, 08:30 AM   #2

You are self contained......BOONDOCK IT....Start at the old CAMP HALE SITE south of Minturn near Tennesee Pass north of Leadvile....learn to use what you have there...
Old 05-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi codyak522,
Colorado is large state. The only part of the state I'd be comfortable driving to the activities is the southwest corner of the state. Mesa Verde NP is an excellent stop for many days of activities. One could easily drive the coach to the parking areas for each activity. In the same area is the 4 corners. There are activities like Monument Valley, Valley of the Gods (I know, not in Colorado but very close). In the north central part of the state there is Rocky Mountain NP. RMNP is not very easy to park your coach, but there is plenty to do. There may be a car rental company in Estes Park one could use.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #4

I've been going to a NFS campsite between Antonito Colorado and Chama New Mexico for almost 50 years. My wife joined in 39 years ago, then the kids and now the grandkids.

One of the reasons I like it is that there are no hook ups which means it is not crowded. It also means no cell service or TV. To our family, that's a positive because we spend our time playing card and domino games, pitching horseshoes and doing crafts. It's right on the Conejos River, the campsites are large with lots of space between them. It's 20 miles to the nearest grocery store but normally, we carry most everything we need.

When our kids had kids, they insisted on having them grow up like they did, camping here every summer. They still say some of the best memories they've had growing up was at this place.

Dry camping isn't difficult at all.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #5

We spent a week last year at Cherry Creek state recreation area in Aurora. Great campground. Very roomy. Nice lake. Huge off-leash dog park. Located in-town, so a rental car would be easy to get when/if you wanted one. Close enough to all kinds of cool stuff to do. Check it out, see what ya think.

Tags
campground