Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2013, 05:47 AM   #1

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Double booking sites

I wondered about this on our last trip, the state park had a 2 week limit and not being retired this doesn't impact me. But it has 3 separate areas, what would stop someone from booking 2 weeks in 1, then 2 more under another name (Maybe DW) in a separate area?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2013, 06:01 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'll stop myself. Any other takers?
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
If it's the same park, I suspect the ranger will have a problem with it.

I volunteered for the county park system back in our home town. They too had a two week limit, but you only had to be off the site for one night to be able to return. They did allow you to go to a different park, however, immediately from your last site, even within the same county system. If it was during the very early season, or very late in the season (when the park was virtually empty) the park ranger could grant you an exception, upon request.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #4

Is this another of those "that rule doesn't apply to me"? It would be nice if folks would consider other people who would like to visit the park, too.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #5

Have met several folks who claim they do just what the OP is talking about in Fl during the winter as a way to snowbird and save money. I have never looked. Do the rules say that is against the rules? I have never looked but I know DW would be seriously bent out of shape to be told she had no independent right to reserve. She hates being thought of as a we and not a she.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
As a newb having tried to make reservations at several state parks along the east coast over 3 months ago for the summer and not finding a single available site... I asked the same question... I was told that 2 things commonly occur... first... people book under their name, their wife's name, their Dog's name... You get the picture... I also understand that the deposits are ridiculously little (one night) and refundable up until a couple of days before you arrive. So cancelling a reservation is very cheap. This has been the one issue about "camping" that I have not been happy about. IMO, if you reserve, should be required to pay the equivalent of 50% of the total cost of your stay and lose the deposit if you cancel. I think that would take some of the game playing that goes on out of the equation. As for people that double book, you should have to provide your license plate # and only be allowed to reserve a maximum of two weeks stay for the months of July and August under that plate number. It may not be a popular opinion, but if you have to reserve a spot over a year in advance to stay some place, there's something wrong with the system... Just saying...
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #7

Stayed in many FL state parks this past winter, never more than 2 weeks, however spoke to a ranger a out staying longer and he said the rule was 2 weeks in and 1 day out then you can stay another 2 weeks. Really don't think the rangers really care as long as your site is neat and you don't cause problems. They rather have sites taken and paid for vs. empty sites.
no3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I wouldn't call that "double booking". Double booking occurs when the campground or motel takes two (or more) reservations for the same site.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN View Post
what would stop someone from booking 2 weeks in 1, then 2 more under another name (Maybe DW) in a separate area?
Maybe nothing. Depends on the rules for the campground where you want to stay.

From FL State Parks Length of Stay Policy: "When demand is great, the maximum length of a camping stay is 14 nights. Once the camper is registered and onsite, and only at the Park Manager’s discretion during periods of low demand, the stay may be extended up to 28 consecutive nights. Park Managers will permit the same campers up to eight weeks aggregate occupancy in any one park in a six month period."
view2a.thril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #10

With the new reservation system in TN, it seems that the intention is to have fewer workers in the parks. The prices are higher and there is no senior discount on "premium sites" (which are those with sewer or on the waterfronts). And you have to pay the entire amount at the time of reservation.

In my opinion, that makes the state parks less of a bargain. They also used to include taxes and now the taxes are separate. For a single night at a premium site, the cost is right around $30. If you multiply that times 30 days, it becomes quite an expensive stay.

In the off-season, seniors get a better deal (50% off) on some sites, but not on any of the ones with sewer, so I can't really imagine many people wanting to stay more than two weeks. You can get a better deal on a monthly site at a private campground.

Tennessee needs to work on the facilities if they want to justify the higher prices. You still have to pay extra for swimming at the few parks that have pools and if you want to fish, you need to make sure you have a license and some lakes have extra permits for each day you fish.

But, back to the topic, I can't see that many folks would want to spend more than a couple of weeks at any of the TN state parks. Just my opinion. :-)
stonekeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #11

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
As a newb having tried to make reservations at several state parks along the east coast over 3 months ago for the summer and not finding a single available site... I asked the same question... I was told that 2 things commonly occur... first... people book under their name, their wife's name, their Dog's name... You get the picture... I also understand that the deposits are ridiculously little (one night) and refundable up until a couple of days before you arrive. So cancelling a reservation is very cheap. This has been the one issue about "camping" that I have not been happy about. IMO, if you reserve, should be required to pay the equivalent of 50% of the total cost of your stay and lose the deposit if you cancel. I think that would take some of the game playing that goes on out of the equation. As for people that double book, you should have to provide your license plate # and only be allowed to reserve a maximum of two weeks stay for the months of July and August under that plate number. It may not be a popular opinion, but if you have to reserve a spot over a year in advance to stay some place, there's something wrong with the system... Just saying...
I didn't realize it was that hard to get sites, we tend to stay in State parks. Are these resort parks or is the east coast that much more popular for RVing?
Old 04-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #12

Quote:
I wondered about this on our last trip, the state park had a 2 week limit and not being retired this doesn't impact me. But it has 3 separate areas, what would stop someone from booking 2 weeks in 1, then 2 more under another name (Maybe DW) in a separate area?
Uh, integrity?
F117plt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:21 AM   #13

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBFleming View Post

Uh, integrity?
Based on previous posts this doesn't stop people.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:18 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
I didn't realize it was that hard to get sites, we tend to stay in State parks. Are these resort parks or is the east coast that much more popular for RVing?
I bought the coach with a dream of being able to park my coach within a few steps of the ocean... sort of a land yacht. Places I can't realistically take my 41 ft boat to because of 1) the lack of time (I still work for a living) and 2) the obscene cost of fuel to get to some of these destinations... So in looking at places like that on the east coast... so far... I've been locked out of every state park for the entire summer. I've looked from Mass to Virginia... Sure there is a day here or there on a Tuesday or Wednesday... but it would not make sense to drive 3 to 6 hours for one day... So now we going to the premium parks ($90 and above a night)...
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote