Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2012, 08:15 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for all the recommendations. I forgot to ask, any suggestions for an RV park in or around Durnago?
CB1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #16
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
X2 on park.

Also, what is a nice easy route out of Durango, say to St. George, Utah? I prefer the not so prolific mountainous areas, but I know I'm in the mountains.

We have covered 43 States but have not been in Utah, and only traveled from WA to TX one time. Not familiar with roadways.

Thanks.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #17

Very nice RV park just out side of town on the road to Silverton. I think the name is Rose or something like that. We took a bus tour to Silverton. Seveeral scenic stops along the way. When we got there we were picked up for a horse trail ride which included lunch out on the trail. Took the train back to Durango. The train ride is fantastic but slow (avg speed 20 mph) and takes over 2 hours but it replaced a 2 day stage coach ride. Totally different scenery betweed bus and train. Both are fantastic. Great restaurant just a mile or so back toward town from the RV park. A little expensive but rustic and great food and service. Just across the road from the RV Park is a Glider field where you can take a glider ride if you want. Great area! Just typing this makes me want to go back.
arby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #18

Looked it up. It's Alpen Rose on Hwy 550 just a few miles North of town.
arby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
X2 on park.

Also, what is a nice easy route out of Durango, say to St. George, Utah? I prefer the not so prolific mountainous areas, but I know I'm in the mountains.

We have covered 43 States but have not been in Utah, and only traveled from WA to TX one time. Not familiar with roadways.

Thanks.
Hi Wayne,

From Durango CO, the easiest is to take highway 160 west, through Cortez, CO, across AZ until you come to highway 98 - turn right (north) and then when 98 dead ends (that keeps you from going through downtown Page) into highway 89 (it's confusing) in Page, AZ, follow 89 until you come to Kanab, UT.

Turn left (south) to Fredonia, AZ, turn right (west) on highway 389 and it will take you to Hurricane, UT, and connect to I-15 south to St George.

There are just a few mountain grades on this route - not many, and they are fairly short. We've done it many times.

Hope that helps.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
The train ride is great fun. Get a seat on the right side of the train if going round trip. It has the best scenery down the cliffs into the river along the route up to Silverton. It is an all day trip, mine left at about 7 am and returned at 5 pm. Lots of time to wander around Silverton, have lunch and shop.

Mesa Verde is also fascinating, You'll need tickets for many of the sites, go on line and get them early. The dwellings you can visit with out tickets are also interesting. After the 'big fire' a number of years ago, a bunch more mesa top sites were found, they are open and free.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mesa Verde tickets are also available at the Cortez Visitor/Welcome Center in town. It's a busy time of the year, so sign up early. Tours fill up fast.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
X2 on park.

Thanks.
Before you head to St George you really need to visit Moab, UT. A lot of sights to see. A good book for the roads and highways in the West is the Mountain Directory West. It will show you the Mountain Passes and steep grades in 11 Western States. It's geared for truckers and rv'ers.
BTW, you could spend a month in Southern Utah and still not have enough time to see all the fantastic State and Federal parks.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'd vote for Moab too - and Canyonlands. Beautiful! From Durango to Moab there's minimal steep roads, easily traveled. From Moab head north to I-70, west to I-25, south to St George. Easy trip if you're interested.

Durango to Cortez, Highway 160
Cortez to Monticello - Highway 491
Monticello to Moab - Highway 191
Moab to I-70 - Highway 191

Nice to have so many options!
Old 05-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
I'd vote for Moab too - and Canyonlands. Beautiful! From Durango to Moab there's minimal steep roads, easily traveled. From Moab head north to I-70, west to I-25, south to St George. Easy trip if you're interested.

Durango to Cortez, Highway 160
Cortez to Monticello - Highway 491
Monticello to Moab - Highway 191
Moab to I-70 - Highway 191

Nice to have so many options!
Joe, it's I-15 south to St George, not I-25.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
WHOA! My goof! Thanks - I'd be sending him back to Albuquerque...
Old 05-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #26

We're also coming to Colorado this summer and are trying to figure out the best area for us to stay for about a week. We have a 12 year old son and 9 year old girl and want to make sure they stay entertained but also do some things we want to do. Would like to camp somewhere on a river or lake any ideas? Have a jeep toad and want to go jeeping also. Just want to make the best use of our time. Thanks to all.
Scott Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lowe View Post
We're also coming to Colorado this summer and are trying to figure out the best area for us to stay for about a week. We have a 12 year old son and 9 year old girl and want to make sure they stay entertained but also do some things we want to do. Would like to camp somewhere on a river or lake any ideas? Have a jeep toad and want to go jeeping also. Just want to make the best use of our time. Thanks to all.
Silverton for sure! Had our grandchildren there the same age and they had a ball. Great trails for the Jeep could keep you busy for a week-ghost towns(Animas Forks), deserted mines, gun fight on the streets, rock hounding, rivers, Engineer Pass is just one of the many trails, 100 mine tour on the way to Eureka, etc.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
There are lots of rivers/lakes to choose from. Here in Pagosa, there are a couple of places by the river (San Juan) that goes through town. Check this listing of the regional RV sites:

RV Park Reviews :: Pagosa Springs, Colorado ( CO ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews

Creede, CO is by the Rio Grande. Lots of jeep trails in the area. It's a quaint spot, with tons of mining history behind it. It's a funky, artsy community, with excellent plays put on by the Creede Rep Theater.

Mountain Views At RiversEdge RV Resort & Park - Creede, Colorado

From Creede, trips to Lake City and other beautiful spots are easy.

Gunnison CO is near the Blue Mesa Lake and Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Also offers some great jeep trails and scenery is - yup - beautiful!

And no - I don't work for the Chamber of Commerce....

If these areas aren't what you had in mind (all in southwest CO), keep asking - there's more.