Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2020, 06:04 AM   #1

Durango Colorado Area

Hello All,

First time poster in this forum but long time lurker. I may have a opportunity in the next few months to relocate to the Durango area full-time We will be living out of our 32ft c-class with a toad and an additional vehicle, since we both will still be employed.

We are scouting for a small privately owned park with full hook ups, around the town of Durango. We don't want to be close in to town and a 25-30 mile commute would be fine as long as the route is easy to navigate.

I'm hoping someone here who knows the area well can give me a few suggestions to review.

Thanks in advance to all.
Davis31052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2020, 10:27 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't know but see if Sequoia national park is near there. There is a decent looking rv park near there.

'06 Itasca Sunova 8.1/4l85e, retired 90 Dakota Convertible Toad, 2015 Kia Soul (SunovaToad)
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:37 AM   #3

When I was in area working in the patch, there wasn't a lot going on. This was 2005-2012. I was originally near Silverton, but grew tired of that quickly. When started being sent to Farmington, I told the my company to find me a place and make arrangements.

They found some rancher on CO-221 that was willing to let me park my trailer. 2 years later, I left and rancher had a no-cost-to-him RV pad, water, sewer, electrical connections ready to go. I will see if I can find the contact info and send direct to you.

Other than that, put ad in the Durango Herald (?) newspaper and see who responds.
Krbjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:17 PM   #4

Look in Bayfield, CO.

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/re...orado/bayfield

I believe there's a mobile home park in Bayfield, also. Sometimes they have RV spaces and are cheaper than a RV park for a long-term situation.

Also, Ignacio, CO

Good luck! A beautiful area. LUCKY YOU!!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:18 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastGlassMan View Post
Don't know but see if Sequoia national park is near there. There is a decent looking rv park near there.
Durango, CO and Sequoia National Park are about 900 miles apart. I’m confused ...
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:26 PM   #6

Although we stayed at a B&B last time we were in the area, we noticed an RV Park on Hwy 550 about 10 miles north of Durango. It’s near the Durango to Silverton rail line, so you can probably see and hear the steam train from the park.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:37 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
+1 on Bayfield Riverside RV park. Nice park, nice folks. Just spent 5 nights there (second visit).

They are 18 miles east of Durango on US 160.

Regards,

Randy
groswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:13 PM   #8

Thank you all so much for the info. I will look into all the suggestions provided. We are really working to pull off this move and get to the area right after the first of the year.
Davis31052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:00 PM   #9

CG near Durango

Near Cortez almost directly across HWY from Mesa Verde NP. a small,nice commercial cg where we stayed 3 yrs . Don't remember name
Tooth Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:11 PM   #10

We are workamping at Pagosa Riverside campground, in Pagosa Springs, CO which is about 60 miles away from Durango. We do have about 16 sites with FHU's that will be open all winter. This would be a long commute to work, but it is one option to consider since most RV parks are closed around here for the winter.

https://www.pagosariverside.com/
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:45 AM   #11

there are several rv parks in the area. we have stayed at lightner creek. nice but it is in a canyon with no internet, wireless, or cable (check with them as this may have changed). we now stay at riverside rv park in bayfield. i know they allow full timers at least during the winter.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:46 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So was I , have to find the name of that rv park it wasn't Sequoia , my bad!

'06 Itasca Sunova 8.1/4l85e, retired 90 Dakota Convertible Toad, 2015 Kia Soul (SunovaToad)
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:07 AM   #13

The two parks by Mesa Verde are
Ancient Cedars Mesa Verde RV Park and Mesa Verde RV Resort

We have some property down there and I get off on the Mesa Verde exit and drive right by the Ancient Cedars Mesa Verde RV Resort, drive by the other one as well but it is a bit harder to see as it is accessed from the highway not the frontage road like the other one.

Both are about 35 miles from Durango so about a 30 minute drive. They are also right about 8 miles west of Mancos which has a gas station and an ok Grocery store and a few restaurant's. They are about 10 miles east of Cortez which has Walmart, City Market and Safeway as well as just about anything else hardware, lumber, auto repair etc. Obviously Durango has all that as well.

I have never stayed at either of them but they both look ok.

https://www.ancientcedarsmesaverde.com/camping/

http://mesaverdervresort.com/

HWY 160 to Durango from there is great road. On occasion it can be problematic in the winter time getting up and over Mancos Hill but not really any worse than from Bayfield except longer but the road is better ie wider, more available passing lanes. While the poster who mentioned Pagosa Springs area which is a great area it is a decent hour drive and in snow storms can easily become 90 minutes or more. Snowstorms are just part of the deal here though regardless of where you are at.

Good luck getting everything squared away it is a great part of the state and country for that matter.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:48 PM   #14

Last year we stayed at Alpen Rose and liked it. A few miles out of Durango headed toward Silverton.
sawmillman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado