Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2019, 07:23 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question East Coast?

We've never been farther north on the East Coast of this wonderful country of ours than Washington D.C. We're planning a 2 to 4 week trip in that direction for 2020 or 2021. Any suggestions on the best time of year to go to take advantage of the best weather? We were thinking late July. We're retired, so we're flexible. Things to see? Places/rv resorts to stay at? Best routes to and from Michigan? We prefer FHU campgrounds, preferably with gravel, asphalt or concrete.
Born2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2019, 09:16 AM   #2

That time of year is hot and humid in the north east. Lancaster county in Pa is a nice area as is the New England area.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:47 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Late August thru October is a great time to visit New England, The weather is usually fine tho it is New England and crowds will be dying down(except for the Leaf Peeppers in late September-CD). LOL... even a good time to visit Lancaster
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 01:32 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree with Sept-October. Many campgrounds close for the winter by late October.

Also be aware and prepare for lots of low bridges and underpasses as well as $$$$$ tolls.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 03:44 PM   #5

yeah I agree Sept to Oct would be best, but if you want July and Aug it's doable. Just expect summer vacationer crowds and hot weather!

In MD assateague state park is a must stop, try to get a site in the sought after electric loop. (book as early as possible)

In NY, Letchworth State Park and Watkins Glen state parks were rated the top 10 in the USA. All said we enjoyed Watkins Glen better as Lots to do around scenic Seneca lake besides Watkins Glen Gorge. For Watkins Glen check out Clute Park Campground and Watkins Glen / Corning KOA, Letchworth SP check out The Ridge Campground

Also in NY, Cooperstown if your a baseball fan is a must. The Lake George area, maybe take a day trip to Ausible Chasm.

NH, Licoln/Woodstock area is a great home base and centrally located to exploring all of the White Mountain Attractions. Check out
Lincoln / Woodstock KOA, Fransted Family Campground

RI, Fisherman's Memorial Campground in Narragansett is another great homebase for exploring Newport RI & Mystic Seaport CT. Take the ferry down the street and visit scenic Block Island or enjoy the local beaches.

MA, Cape Cod is a must visit. I would strongly suggest booking just after Labor Day as traffic is just awful. Alantic Oaks Campground is at the halfway point up the cape and gets very good reviews. Watch out for the sharks while swimming! (I'm not Kidding as they have had problems)

ME. Acadia NP

VT, Our personal Favorite is Winhall Brook in South Londonderry, lots of country charm at the campground and in the area. Also suggest the Lake Champlain Area in VT, Champlain Adult Campground

Hope this helps!
Mike
Old 05-26-2019, 06:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2RV View Post
We've never been farther north on the East Coast of this wonderful country of ours than Washington D.C. We're planning a 2 to 4 week trip in that direction for 2020 or 2021. Any suggestions on the best time of year to go to take advantage of the best weather? We were thinking late July. We're retired, so we're flexible. Things to see? Places/rv resorts to stay at? Best routes to and from Michigan? We prefer FHU campgrounds, preferably with gravel, asphalt or concrete.
You being from Michigan, thinking you are looking to head to the Beach, especially if July is your travel Month?

July is Good, Hot and/but Crowded.

Good beaches would be Rehoboth - https://delawarestateparks.reserveam...&parkId=360000

Now if I'm wrong and you are just looking to Travel in the Northeast or New England I'd strongly advise Late September or October - Cooler and a LOT LESS Humidity. Might even get lucky and Catch the Fall Leaves.

One little note from a Guy who has driven all over the Country - The East Coast is not an Enjoyable place to Drive or Camp in the Summer, JMHO.

Give us more on the Mission we can direct you better.

IMHO - in July the Best Trips are to the Rockies - Elevation + Cooler no HUmidity and Just beautiful.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:46 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Routes wise, from NE. Ohio we take I-86 & I-88 across New York to avoid the $$$$ NY. turnpike. As far as reserving a FHU campsite, in the popular areas some people reserve a year out if going prime time in July.

Last year we took a 6 week New England loop last Aug 15 to Oct 1. The highlight was two weeks in Acadia National Park. Then a few days in New Brunswick Canada at Bay of Fundy National Park. We stayed more in the mountains at state parks, National parks and US Forest Service and a few private campgrounds.

In Acadia National Park, they built a new campground a few years ago called Schoodic Woods. (Electric & water). very nice place....Best NP campground we ever stayed in.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:10 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question Thank you!

Thank you!! Great advice! Yes, we would prefer to travel in September after all the little ones are back in school and the weather is cooler......but I was afraid that all the little local shops and such would be closed for the summer? We can easily take two or three weeks for the trip. What would be your suggested route from the Ann Arbor area of Michigan? We would prefer freeways that offer diesel truck stops for gas and avoid all the little towns with stop lights, but we would also like to avoid the tolls!!
Born2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:25 AM   #9

Quote:
We would prefer freeways that offer diesel truck stops for gas and avoid all the little towns with stop lights, but we would also like to avoid the tolls!!

No tolls and diesel fuel stops directly off the highway in New England? Most of New England and much of the northeast is Toll highway and on easy pass, that said I can't speak for every highway but I90 through NY and MA which runs west to east I believe has convenient fuel stops directly off the highway but it is Toll road. (most highways if you don't have easy pass they will just take a pic of your plate and mail you a bill)

CT is toll free but that may be changing soon the next year or 2 as we don't pay enough taxes here...

Mike

Tags
east coast