Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2019, 07:52 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
East Coast

We are planning our first trip up the east coast. We will be starting in Tallahassee Florida March 1 2019. We would like to travel to Savannah GA. Is there anything we should know about taking I10 over to I95. We have never traveled these roads before. We have a 38 foot class A. We would like to stay near Savannah for a week. What would be 1 thing we should not miss in the Savannah area?
Cyicamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2019, 08:21 PM   #2

As for the roads they are Interstate, 4 lane divided highway, easy traveling. I-10 to Jacksonville onto I-95 North. Easy. Can’t comment on the best things to do in Savannah as it depends what you like. Check out Trip Advisor.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:48 PM   #3

We were there last Thanksgiving. Will you be towing a car?
We stayed at Creekfire RV Resort. It was nice, clean and easy to navigate in our Class A.
Not sure what you like to do. We visit several Forts, Bonaventure Cemetery (be sure to get the app on your phone before going), and the Savannah National Wildlife Refuge. We enjoyed all of it and the variety or sights to see.
shuggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyicamp View Post
We are planning our first trip up the east coast. We will be starting in Tallahassee Florida March 1 2019. We would like to travel to Savannah GA. Is there anything we should know about taking I10 over to I95. We have never traveled these roads before. We have a 38 foot class A. We would like to stay near Savannah for a week. What would be 1 thing we should not miss in the Savannah area?
March 1 2019 ?
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojim View Post
March 1 2019 ?
--------

If you mean 2020 - I'd just follow the Weather up the Coast - Jekyll Island - Amelia Island - Hilton Head - Beaufort - Savanna - Myrtle beach - WilliamsBurg - Virginia Beach - Assateague - Ocean City - Rehoboth - then I'd look to turn around or head west

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:43 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I 10 works fine and is a good 4 lane interstate. Heading east from Savannah though I would prefer to spend time on rt90. It is the old road and you will see much more of old country while on it. The scenery is great and the towns are picturesque. Because they cross over I ride 90 till I feel like making tome then 10 until it gets boring. 10 is best to go around big cities too. I cut north to miss Jacksonville then I take 17 North up the coast getting off to visit the small islands and towns along the way.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:21 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
--------

If you mean 2020 - I'd just follow the Weather up the Coast - Jekyll Island - Amelia Island - Hilton Head - Beaufort - Savanna - Myrtle beach - WilliamsBurg - Virginia Beach - Assateague - Ocean City - Rehoboth - then I'd look to turn around or head west

Best of Luck,
I do mean 2020. Thank you for this. Myrtle Beach will be our next stop.
Cyicamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:30 AM   #8

A few weeks around St.Patricks Day is really busy in Savannah so make reservations early.

A good place is Red Gate Campground - Rv Park, Horseback Trail Rides, Propane Filling

I'd probably go up to Thomasville and tootle across US-84; I hate traveling interstates.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:03 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are you a member of the Elks?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:18 AM   #10

If you have a toad I would recommend Skidaway Island SP. It is a little south of the city, but is very relaxing and a good vibe. If not, stay in one of the closer in RV resorts, some have a shuttle into Savannah to the Visitor's Center. For a first time visitor it is a must stop and has inexpensive parking and you can catch the various shuttles around town.

https://www.visitsavannah.com/?utm_s...&gclsrc=aw.ds&

As for route, when heading east we are usually on I-10 and we stay on it all the way to I-95 and then head north. We are not very adventurous drivers. We like to get from Point A to our destination Point B as directly as possible. From there we go out and see and be seen in the toad. On an early trip we took one of the recommended routes instead of the interstate. It seemed to take three times longer to get to our destination, we had to drive through small towns, cross many rail road tracks, make sharp turns, etc. It was not the joy of driving many seem to suggest it is.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Are you a member of the Elks?
I recently joined RV Trip Wizard and in many of our destination cities I keep seeing Elk's lodges for parking. I've suggested to the driver that he might want to become an Elk. I looked at their website and I think it might be good for him.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:34 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
We’ve stayed at Plantation Oaks in Savannah twice and were satisfied both times - it’s just past Creekfire on the same road.

The one thing not to miss - LEOPOLD’S ICE CREAM downtown. It’s an icon and some of the best ice cream in the world!
2019 Coachmen Mirada 35BH; 2017 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MBS (Traded); 2015 Coachmen Freelander 32BH (Traded); 2011 Coachmen Freelander 31SS (Traded); 2005 TrailCruiser 30SS (Traded); 1999 Forest River Flagstaff (25') (Traded)
Jcf0527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:19 AM   #13

One place to visit would be Tybee Island and the Tybee Island Lighthouse. There are some neat little restaurants on the beach as well. Tybee also has a nice campground if you would like to stay there.
Jimymc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast