Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2021, 08:48 AM   #15

On I-40 right now, we are sitting in Gallup, NM. at USA RV Park. We have been I -40 since Kingman and the roughest part of the road is west of Flagstaff. Just east of Flagstaff is rough for about 10 miles, then the road becomes pretty good condition.
On I-40 near Leupp exit, if you are using a RV GPS it may say "I-40 is closed". Actually what they are doing is taking you up the off ramp and back down the on ramp getting back on I-40. The work is suppose to be completed during the week of May3rd, but just keep it in mind in case the work is not finished.
Also when we came thru Kingman on April 26th, there was a big forest fire, just south of the junction of I-40 & Rt 11, check and make sure if it is out.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2021, 09:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5501 View Post
I recently drove I-44 from STL to OKC. Road conditions are generally good, but not very good, in Missouri. In Oklahoma I-44 is a toll road. I don’t know the cost for two axles, but it was about $25 from the state link to OKC for 4 axles. Pavement quality is OK, but not what you would expect for a toll road. There are surprisingly few rest areas and services are infrequent in Oklahoma. The section from Tulsa to OKC seems especially desolate. Don’t skip an opportunity for a rest break, because there may not be another for a very long time.
I have driven this stretch many times, MO roads are no worse than anywhere else, just a bit hilly and a few more curves. Lots of rural area. Once you get west of Rolla the traffic drops a bit. I 44 is a breeze compared to some of the highway’s especially east of the Mississippi. OK is pretty windy as is the Texas panhandle. NM is beautiful in its own way as is most of the west. Personally I would not go without a towed vehicle.
Old 05-08-2021, 11:45 AM   #17

Being from southern nj outside philly I would suggest 295 south to del mem bridge then 95 towards balto and then 695 towards Towson,md where you can pick up 70 west to 81 south which intersects with 40. Slight tolls on 95 the rest are freebies. Do not use 76, pa tpk. Killer tolls and your rv is a class 4 which is very expensive.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:59 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
We are from Indiana and this year instead of taking 70 west we went down to Nashville and 40 all the way. Much better drive and no tolls. I hate St Louis! The time to Havasu was about the same as taking 70. Nashville bypass is a breese and the only city where we got slowed down was Memphis. No stopping, just quite a bit of traffic.It said it added about 100mi but the time was the same as far as I could tell.
BOOZE TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:45 AM   #19

Just finished the drive from St. Louis to south of Flagstaff. The worst stretch of road by for is NM. There are quite a few rough areas like for miles. AZ wasn’t as bad as in the past but still not the best. The Flagstaff are has been redone and is in good shape. I literally just drove through there this evening.
Old 05-09-2021, 10:03 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks!

Thanks for all your honest opinions. Full disclosure. I haven't plugged in our CG stops in the RV GPS yet and don't know drive times or distances. As far as sightseeing, if its not on the route during a lunch break, it wont happen. I've always been about the destination and not the journey. My kids want to see four corners, but according to their website, its still closed. I am reworking our route because of you'll advise. I love this forum. Please keep the advise coming as the trip isn't until mid July.
GMan2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:12 PM   #21

We did a 3,000 miles in 30 days loop from Louisiana to the Grand Canyon and back in October of 2019 (out mostly I-40 and back mostly I-10) with stops (either day stops, overnight, or multi day stops) in Amarillo, TX, Sante Fe, NM, Aztec NM (Aztec national monument), 4 corners monument, Goose Necks State Park, UT, Drove through Monument valley, UT, Navajo National Monument, AZ, Wahweap Campground, Page AZ (half day float trip down Glen Canyon, and a lower Antelope Canyon tour), Cameron Trading post (lunch overlooking the little Colorado river gorge https://camerontradingpost.com/restaurant.html), 3 nights at Mather campground at the Grand Canyon, Planes of Fame air museum (impromptu day stop as we were driving by), Flagstaff, Meteor Crater, Petrified Forest NP, 3 days in the Gila National Forest in NM, including Cosmic Campground (international dark sky site), the Glenwood catwalk, then the drive back across Texas with a few stops along the way including stopping in Llano,TX for BBQ, and a weekend at the Texas Renaissance Festival campground (met up with my college age son there) before the last couple of hundred miles drive back home.

Sure the Grand Canyon was the feature attraction for that trip, it is awe inspiring, and this was my first trip there after numerous trips to see it being cancelled for one reason or another over the years. Though looking back on it now almost 2 years later, sure it was impressive, but it is not even necessarily the thing I think of first about that trip, as it competes with floating down glen canyon, camping on the edge of the (much, much smaller) canyon at Goose Necks State park, the expanse of the Petrified forest, and even eating Navajo fry bread with a contemporary twist at Twin Rocks trading post, in Bluff UT, and more, all of which I consider destinations in their own right.

Now down to a couple of thoughts, 1st 4 corners is a nice little stop to stretch your legs, but not worth driving out of your way for, in our case it was less than 15 miles detour off our planned route. After all it is a monument celebrating where some lines meet on a map, and looks no different than anything else within 10-20 miles of that spot.

Second thought, unless you are going to be doing some hiking 2 full days at the Grand Canyon is enough for most people. There is a reason most people only spend 2 nights there. I can even see people saying 1 full day, but you really need to see the canyon throughout the different hours of the day, from different points to appreciate it, and it takes time to stop and see it from most of the major overlook points (assuming the shuttle buses are running). My wife has some slight mobility issues so no real hiking for us, though we did walk the paved section of the rim trail for up to a mile or so in a few places.

In closing I will attach a couple of photos from two stops, our camp site at mather campground at the Grand Canyon, and our camp site at Goosenecks State Park, UT. Which one do you think was more memorable
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mather-Aspen-044-sm2.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	325.9 KB
ID:	327817   Click image for larger version

Name:	gooseneck-site.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	327818  

Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:12 AM   #22

East Coast (NJ) to Grand Canyon, AZ via I-40

If it were me I would consider going to Merced or thereabouts after Bakersfield and drive to Yosemite from there. Then head back toward hitting I80 in Utah some place. Google will have you some options. Make a huge circle of your trip. You get to see A whole different look in California, Salt Lake City, Wyoming etc coming back. It doesn’t add that many miles and you see whole different part of the country. The Journey is the major part of your trip. Make the most of it. If you all have been across 80 and seen that part of country and know what your missing then ignore my suggestion. Or for the most Beautiful trip come back across I70 in Colorado. I didn’t check how far that might add.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 04:48 AM   #23

The Big Texan in Amarillo will send a limo with horns on the hood to pick you up at your camp site and bring you back when you're done.
We were at Oasis RV park 3 years ago, a Cadillac picked us up and a Lincoln tool us back. Tip the driver.
The place was a hoot, I had an excellent 22 oz sirloin.
Cadillac Ranch is on a service road on the south side of 40. If you miss the exit you may as well just keep going. It's tough to get back to.
Enjoy the trip. As someone else mentioned take the toad.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:34 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMan2021 View Post
T My kids want to see four corners, but according to their website, its still closed.
$5 per person to stand on a spot? You are not missing anything.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMan2021 View Post
Thanks for all your honest opinions. Full disclosure. I haven't plugged in our CG stops in the RV GPS yet and don't know drive times or distances. As far as sightseeing, if its not on the route during a lunch break, it wont happen. I've always been about the destination and not the journey. My kids want to see four corners, but according to their website, its still closed. I am reworking our route because of you'll advise. I love this forum. Please keep the advise coming as the trip isn't until mid July.
Sent you a PM
RS ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:10 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Not sure how the I-40 bridge closure in West Tennessee will play into our plans, but it looks like we'll make a big loop to the Grand Canyon heading higher up to and heading lower down from to the avoid that area.

Thanks for all your input!
GMan2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:20 PM   #27

Damon Owners Club
I think your Bakersfield to Yosemite day trip is a pipe dream. It’s 240 miles one way, California traffic, just to get to Yosemite. So you’re driving over four hours just to get to the place, it’s very crowded and lots of traffic trying to drive through, and then you’ve got the drive back.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:31 AM   #28

Can you spare more time for this trip?

I'd at least suggest spending only 3 nights at Grand Canyon and then you'll have 4 nights for Yosemite and perhaps Sequoia Nat'l Park or maybe just a day of complete rest before your return trip. As stated, Yosemite will be a zoo to navigate.

Or.... instead of Yosemite, try for Bryce Nat'l Park. It will be a lot cooler there and a lot closer than Yosemite. Ruby's would be the place to stay unless you can get a site in the park itself. Nice siteseeing in the immediate area, also. You could return home via I-70.

Have a good one!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast