Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2021, 04:38 AM   #29

If you're on I-40 don't forget to stop off in Winslow, Arizona and stand on the corner.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2021, 10:31 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
If you're on I-40 don't forget to stop off in Winslow, Arizona and stand on the corner.

I'll be doing that in a couple of weeks...

2018 Renegade Explorer / 2021 Jeep Gladiator
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:08 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
If staying near Amarillo, I highly recommend the Oasis RV park. It is right after Caddilac ranch. There is a Love's truck stop at that exit for fuel.

If staying near Kingman, I highly recommend Blake's Ranch RV Park and Horse Motel...yes, you read that right. Nice RV park.

On your way to Needles, get fuel at the truck stops at exit 9 in AZ just before the Az/Kalifornia state line. It't way cheaper than Needles or for that matter, Kalifornia. We just made the trip to NorCal the last 2 weeks.

For overnites, Tucumcari, Gallup (United RV park) and Holbrook have decent RV parks.

i'd second the recommendation for Oasis as we've stayed there many times.

we've never stayed at the places you mentioned in Tucumcari but we have stayed at Blaze-In-Saddle RV park and found it be a very nice (and inexpensive) stay.

And the OP mentioned traveling I-40. much of the highway in the eastern third of Oklahoma is under construction with the worst part being the sections with concrete dividers on each side of the lane for miles on end and some points seemingly very narrow. we traveled west through OK no less than nine times last year and it wasn't uncommon to see a big truck in front of us hit the wall.
kingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:08 PM   #32

We recently drove from Asheville to Tulsa, mostly on I-40. It's a beautiful drive through Tennessee and the road is decent. Loads of semi traffic on I-40.

I-40 near Sallisaw OK has two sections of road construction that is narrow and really rough...really rough!!

The I-40 bridge in Memphis is closed. The re-route is the I-55 bridge and depending on the time of day or night, you could be parked on I-55 for quite a while. If you must go through Memphis, 11:30 PM is when we experienced the best time to pass through. We recently spent the night in West Memphis. There is an exit with a Cracker Barrel and an Arkansas Welcome Center on I-55 near I-40.

I have also recently driven through IL on I-70 down to St. Louis and then on to I-44 through Missouri and Oklahoma. I-44 does have less semi traffic than I-40.

I-44 in MO is great. I-44 in OK is good as well, but a toll road from the state line to OKC and then you can join I-40.
Mark VL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast