Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2015, 01:44 PM   #1

East Texas in Jan

Hi everyone. I will have a few weeks to kill the end of Jan and first of Feb.. Was thinking of going to Texas down the east coast, Houston maybe or south? What is there to see and do in this area? Is the weather warm or not this time of the year? No planning done are campsites available in this area this time of the year? We are from southwest Georgia just looking to check out somewhere different. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks joe.
GAS 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2015, 08:42 PM   #2

LA Gulf Coast Campers
I think I would hug the coast.... from Galveston down to Matagorda or Palacios.... then cut north from Houston up to Tyler.... then circle back along I-20 into Louisiana and down I-49 to get back to I-10 on way home. You will get the coast area... some history.... some nice wildlife watching.... some good food... and nice people. By making the circle north and back around, you can catch Mardi Gras in Shreveport in Feb... one of the best celebrations in the state. You should have pretty decent weather, but the occasional cold front does touch the area. As for rv parks, you will be fine.... there are many different places all throughout the area. Safe travels... and best wishes....
RussM311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:37 AM   #3

East Texas in Jan

Thanks for the info Rusty, Joe
Old 01-19-2015, 08:59 AM   #4

We spent Jan/Feb in that area last winter which was a cold one. Normally the weather is pretty mild there. Lots to do there. Be sure to see the USS Texas battleship museum while your in Houston. It's 100 years old now, very interesting. Also check out the great state park system. We stayed in about 8 Texas state parks last winter and all were great including Galveston. Buy a $70 park pass on your first stay and you'll save money on all future stays.
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:14 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
[QUOTE=RussM311;2383606]I think I would hug the coast.... from Galveston down to Matagorda or Palacios.... then cut north from Houston (QUOTE).

Went this way, about 3 years ago and had a very nice time, in Matagorda. The camp and public park, is located on an island and unless they have built a bridge, one must drive across a barge which sinks a little, due to the weight of the RV. Not scary, but interesting and different! The barge has cables attached, so it can be pulled sideways, to allow boats to pass, going to and from the open Gulf. Also, the RV park was situated with water, to the South and West. The public park there has a pier, and you can fish, if you like. It was too cold to go swimming.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:35 AM   #6

Talking East Texas in Jan

Hey guys thanks for the info. Hope to leave next week. We love state parks but have moved up to a larger coach which is 43ft. Hope there are some spots that size avalible. Looking forward to the trip. Hope the weather is good. Joe
Old 01-19-2015, 07:32 PM   #7

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Joe,

As you come across the south.... Al, Ms and La.... a real nice stop is Fountainbleau State Park.... located on the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain.... the park was an old plantation site that still has some of the old ruins.... just south of I-10 in Mandeville, Louisiana. Weekdays are quiet and serene with deer walking through the campground..... and if you do stay.... go to Liz's Where Ya At Café for breakfast of lunch..... just go out the gate of the park, turn left and it will be on your left as you get into the business areas.... don't miss it.

A little further along I-10 .. just west of Lafayette is the small town of Scot.... there is a KOA just off the highway that is pretty nice and very friendly. Across the road from the KOA is a restaurant named Fezzo's.... a truly great Cajun restaurant.

And if you decide to come up to the Shreveport area.... give a shout..... coffee is on me. Safe travels....
Rusty
RussM311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:57 PM   #8

We live in east texas (Quitman, TX) 20miles from Tyler and it is beautiful here / green with hills. Right now temps are 45-65 daily with rain once a week.
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:02 PM   #9

Not clear where you are starting from. One thing I want to check out nearby is Avery Island and the Tabasco factory. Padre Island down south is not bad in the winter.
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas