Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #1

Eastern Michigan

Hopefully will finally be able to get away for two weeks at the end of August, first part of September. Am thinking It may be nice to go and just explore this area as I have only ever passed through Michigan on my way to Florida. I will be entering at Port Huron and would welcome all suggestions of things to see and do and places to stay. I basically just get in and go and try to plot my route from a general guideline - not a perscription.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2011, 09:47 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Depending on how much you wish to travel, you could head north, over the Mackinac Bridge, up to SStMarie, into Canada and back down. Or you could just spend some time at the various state parks up the coast line of Lake Huron.
a10koaksfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
One of my favorite places in the lower peninsula is close to Flint and if you enter at Port Huron you'll be passing by is the Crossroads / Huckleberry Railroad
Whenever I passed through the area I would go there with my children. The village is great and the train is authentic even if a half continent away from home.

The other suggestions I have would be Traverse City, Fort Michlimackinac (see
Colonial Fort Michilimackinac - Mackinaw City, Michigan ) which is within sight of the Mighty Mackinaw bridge over the straits at the north end of Lake Michigan.

If you just do the tourist things you'll be able to kill a year or two of really great places to see.

Soo Locks tours http://www.soolocks.com/index.phtml
Shipwreck Museum - Paradise Michigan (west on M-28 from I-75 about 30 miles IIRC) http://www.shipwreckmuseum.com/
Great Golfing in the area around Gaylord Michigan
Super fishing for Bass in the area around Hessel and Cedarville areas
Mackinaw Island is worth a day or two all by itself.http://www.mackinacisland.org/
If you get to the west part of the upper peninsula there are the painted cliffs at Munising http://www.picturedrocks.com/Home.php and some beautiful scenery all along the south shore of Lake Superior.
That part of the states I spent a lot of time in when I lived back east.

Way too much fun to be had there.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote