Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2022, 06:39 PM   #1

Escaping Georgia Spring Pollen (Where to go?!)

Hi all,

Over the years, the Georgia pollen season in the spring is one of the most miserable times of the year for me. I've found no drug cocktail that works, and allergy shots/drops haven't worked either. With our new coach, I'm looking to leave the East Coast for likely March through May and just not be here. I'm mostly just allergic to hardwoods, which is why it's so bad for me in GA.

I know the Southwest is the place to be, but haven't spent any time camping other than one trip to Utah in March. I'm looking for any recommended areas in New Mexico, Arizona, or surrounding places that would provide relief. I've read a lot about Yuma being a popular snowbird place for instance, but this is in Spring, not winter, so not sure if it's still good. Plan on doing some pollen map research one I have some areas to do some investigating on.

Looking to maybe do a monthly rental at possibly 3 locations and places to mix it up as well. We're younger, so we'll still be working full-time, so we can't just boondock, or stay at 55+ communities, and need decent amenities.

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions!
powerwoofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2022, 07:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwoofs View Post
Hi all,

Over the years, the Georgia pollen season in the spring is one of the most miserable times of the year for me. I've found no drug cocktail that works, and allergy shots/drops haven't worked either. With our new coach, I'm looking to leave the East Coast for likely March through May and just not be here. I'm mostly just allergic to hardwoods, which is why it's so bad for me in GA.

I know the Southwest is the place to be, but haven't spent any time camping other than one trip to Utah in March. I'm looking for any recommended areas in New Mexico, Arizona, or surrounding places that would provide relief. I've read a lot about Yuma being a popular snowbird place for instance, but this is in Spring, not winter, so not sure if it's still good. Plan on doing some pollen map research one I have some areas to do some investigating on.

Looking to maybe do a monthly rental at possibly 3 locations and places to mix it up as well. We're younger, so we'll still be working full-time, so we can't just boondock, or stay at 55+ communities, and need decent amenities.

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions!
When the yellow pine pollen appears here in the midlands of SC, loratadine works for me.
Old 01-03-2022, 04:28 AM   #3

I share the OP's pain. I have to put up plastic to cover the screens on our porch in the spring. or it takes a snow shovel to clean off the pollen. I even have a dog that's on lifetime meds for hardwood allergies.
South Texas along the coast may be a good spot but trees are everywhere if you don't go south far enough.
NM and AZ in the desert would be the best. No trees for miles.
Old 01-03-2022, 06:59 AM   #4

UTAH - would work for me!

Timing is also critical - Yuma is still good just not a lot to see and do - Utah is filled with sights and we love it in the cooler months - less crowded - less heat.

With some of the most Beautiful drives and hikes it is honestly Hard to Beat.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 03:33 AM   #5

I am in Georgia and feel the same way, just not as bad as your symptoms sound. I plan an annual late March/early April two week trip to the Keys. This at least gives me a break from the pollen for a short time. When I can (in the next few years) I will extend that trip but for now I have my 89 year old mom to look after and can only be away for a maximum two weeks at a time.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 09:48 PM   #6

Thanks everyone, good to know about Yuma not having anything going on. I'll do some digging in Utah as well, as we loved it out there when we stayed, but it was over in Heber Valley.
Old 02-19-2022, 08:05 PM   #7

Wanted to update my thread with our travel plans that we've set. The goal is to be gone March and April, the worst of the pollen months for sure. Should be back first of May, which will still have some, but usually mid-May is manageable from there on for me.

We're heading down I-10 and checking a few spots in Texas, which won't be long, as I suspect they'll be in full pollen swing as well. We'll go through Austin and hitting some spots in New Mexico. Haven't been out there much, but from research appears to be pretty arid and no hardwoods.

Hot spots we're hitting: Carlsbad, Roswell, and Elephant Butte (truth and consequences). If this works, will probably hit up St. George or Arizona areas to keep exploring new places.