Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2023, 12:30 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to burgmark
Fall Trip to Northeast US

Just finished my planning and reservations for my fall RV trip. It will be a loop starting in St Louis and including the following locations:

Indiana Dunes National Park
Cuyahoga Valley National Park
Niagara Falls
Acadia National Park
Boston
Shenandoah National Park
New River Gorge National Park
Mammoth Cave National Park

Total trip distance is estimated at 3,300 miles, but I still need to run the route through my RV GPS to see if I need any route modifications from Google Maps.

We will be in Acadia for the first week of October, hoping to see good fall colors. Leaving 9/22 and returning 10/21. For our dates, some campgrounds were already full or almost full for our 35 foot class A. One must plan ahead these days.
burgmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2023, 12:36 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This looks like a fantastic trip! Acadia has several low overpasses in the park. You may want to take a closer look with Google Maps satellite view to avoid them with your motorhome. Ask me how I know!

Sent from my SM-A515U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 07:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
This looks like a fantastic trip! Acadia has several low overpasses in the park. You may want to take a closer look with Google Maps satellite view to avoid them with your motorhome. Ask me how I know!

Sent from my SM-A515U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Thanks for the heads up. We will by staying at Hadley's Point Campground just before the park entrance so will not be taking the motorhome into the actual park. I also use a Garmin that is tailored for RVs, so hopefully it will route me around any low overpasses (its worked so far).

I just compared my Garmin routing to Google maps and I'm surprised its taking me on some secondary roads once I reach Albany, NY vs. taking I-90, which is only about 22 miles further according to Google maps. I may have to override that decision. GPS is great, but one still needs to check the routes and occasionally make adjustments.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:48 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Niagara Falls is best viewed from the Canadian side which will require a passport.

That should be a really beautiful trip with all the fall colors on display.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 08:19 PM   #5

My wife and I have traveled I90 through Mass several times. It is a great road but the tolls are high. Get an EZ Pass toll transponder. It will pay for itself. I got mine from FL.
andy29847 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 12:10 PM   #6

GPS and tolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
My wife and I have traveled I90 through Mass several times. It is a great road but the tolls are high. Get an EZ Pass toll transponder. It will pay for itself. I got mine from FL.
Thanks for the suggestion. When I took I44 through Oklahoma last spring I think I ended up with somewhere over $40 in tolls. I will also check my GPS settings, I may have it set to avoid tolls and that would explain the routing.
Old 02-03-2023, 12:04 PM   #7

Verify your dates for Acadia against campground availability. Most Maine parks close by mid-October, many by Oct. 1.

Also, don't use any route that puts you on a parkway in NY or CT. You're not allowed and you won't fit under the low clearance structures. Passenger cars only on parkways in those states.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 06:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
Verify your dates for Acadia against campground availability. Most Maine parks close by mid-October, many by Oct. 1.

Also, don't use any route that puts you on a parkway in NY or CT. You're not allowed and you won't fit under the low clearance structures. Passenger cars only on parkways in those states.
Thanks for the tips. I already have my reservations for Acadia; parks in that area are generally open past Columbus Day and some that I found were open for most of October. I'm hoping my Garmin RV will route me around those parkways, but I appreciate the info, I will check my routes.
Old 02-06-2023, 04:31 PM   #9

We thoroughly enjoyed our trip north last fall. The biggest issue we had were campgrounds closing for the season.

If on your trip from Boston to Virginia you have time, check out Tarrytown and try to get tickets to Blaze Pumpkin Festival.

Also, Cooperstown and the Baseball Hall of Fame is not that far south of I-90.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 06:15 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
We did most of these parts last spring, Its a trip of a lifetime.

New River Gorge is a great place,be sure to get to the visitors center for some great history and down to the river to see the bridge from the underside.

Niagara falls is very sharp looking at night with the lights on.
Acadia National Park, be sure to walk along the cliffs over looking the water.
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 06:52 AM   #11

I didn't mention. If you have enough time while visiting Niagara Falls, take a day trip over the the Canadian side. Gorgeous!
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 07:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming View Post
I didn't mention. If you have enough time while visiting Niagara Falls, take a day trip over the the Canadian side. Gorgeous!
Thanks for the suggestion, we have heard that the Canadian side has better views. We are taking passports.
Old 02-07-2023, 07:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky19053 View Post
We did most of these parts last spring, Its a trip of a lifetime.

New River Gorge is a great place,be sure to get to the visitors center for some great history and down to the river to see the bridge from the underside.

Niagara falls is very sharp looking at night with the lights on.
Acadia National Park, be sure to walk along the cliffs over looking the water.
Thanks for the tips. I'm typically doing extensive research on each location, but its great to know others' experiences and discover some things I may have missed.
Old 02-07-2023, 05:34 PM   #14

Just my opinion. With a few exceptions there is really no such thing as open state roads in the North East, to get anywhere worth seeing in a timely manner will involve interstates. Use the EZ pass

I see you made your reservations, but if you can swing a stop at Cape Cod in MA in sept would be well worth it. Lots of coastal charm with the beaches and small shops & restaurants. Atlantic Oaks Campground in Eastham is the go to campground for out of state travelers

Mike