Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2005, 06:41 AM   #1

On 5-31 we packed up the camper and left central IL for a one week vacation to Myrtle Beach. We stayed at Ocean Lakes Family Campground. The campground is clean and beautiful. Very nice! The property also has 3,000 cottage units. Nearly everyone uses golf carts to travel around the campground. The streets are thick with constant traffic. That was the only downside to camping at Ocean Lakes. While planning our camping trip I spent 4 months searching the web, trying to learn all I could about the Myrtle Beach area. There's one thing I wish I had read, but never did. Our family had to drive 17 hours to find this out- Myrtle Beach is a huge party town. Most of the town is made up of hotels, bars, t-shirt shops and atleast a dozen strip joints. We had no idea. We have 4 children ages 8-12. We wish we would've known what the MB atmosphere was like. Camping in the outer banks of NC would probably been a better choice for us (although we've never been there)because our family enjoys exploring nature. I hope this message is helpful to any other families planning a trip to MB.
Tammy & Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2005, 06:41 AM   #2

On 5-31 we packed up the camper and left central IL for a one week vacation to Myrtle Beach. We stayed at Ocean Lakes Family Campground. The campground is clean and beautiful. Very nice! The property also has 3,000 cottage units. Nearly everyone uses golf carts to travel around the campground. The streets are thick with constant traffic. That was the only downside to camping at Ocean Lakes. While planning our camping trip I spent 4 months searching the web, trying to learn all I could about the Myrtle Beach area. There's one thing I wish I had read, but never did. Our family had to drive 17 hours to find this out- Myrtle Beach is a huge party town. Most of the town is made up of hotels, bars, t-shirt shops and atleast a dozen strip joints. We had no idea. We have 4 children ages 8-12. We wish we would've known what the MB atmosphere was like. Camping in the outer banks of NC would probably been a better choice for us (although we've never been there)because our family enjoys exploring nature. I hope this message is helpful to any other families planning a trip to MB.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:16 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
The Outer Banks is beautiful but remote. We were there in September so it was very nice, the campground was not even half full. But the beaches are beautiful and we like being more remote. However our children are grown and gone from home.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:27 AM   #4

Tammy & Mark welcome Sory you did not have a good time in Mytle Beach. We took our foster boys there last year for 1 month at Myrtle Beach travel park. WE went to Alligator Adventure, Ripleys Believe it or Not, Dolly Partons Stampede, Ripleys Aquarium, the boys had a ball They are 10 & 11.

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 01:57 PM   #5

Hello Tammy and Mark..

Sorry to hear of your disappointment with Myrtle Beach. Yes, it is a big tourist town, but, there are many great things for families to do there!

Yep, T shirt shops on every corner, any kind of restaurant fare on ever other corner (for steak lovers I HIGHLY reccomend Angelo's 2 at 21st Ave South at Hwy 17!! )

My family and I have camped next door to Ocean Lakes at Lakewood Camping resort. It possesses the same anemities as you described except MUCH MORE shade area for campers, a more relaxed atmosphere, a Christian atmosphere, and yes, "quality entertainment" is traveling the campground on golf carts, especially to check out properties for sale there. ( If we'd only had a bug zapper, we'd have been in redneck heaven!! )

We camped there Memorial Day weekend and never left the campground. The security is wonderful and friendly and none of the "riff raff" worries that might expect at area motels..

We're planning another trip in two weeks!
Old 06-10-2005, 04:50 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tammy & Mark:
I hope this message is helpful to any other families planning a trip to MB. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I regret your experience wasn't positive however on the other hand there are numerous wholesome entertainment venues for mom, dad and the kids to do as a family.

These venues are too lengthy to name here but there are many more "safe zones" than risky ones.

We will be staying at Ocean Lakes from about the 1st of September thru the 15 of October. Ocean Lakes was nominated again to be the recipient of the Campground of the Year award. There's plenty to do in the campground and on the beach if you don't like the downtown area. Give a kid a beach and he's pretty much set.

Cape Hatteras is a nice place as well but you have to travel a lot to do anything. Again if beach is good for you and the kids then take a look at "Waves RV Campground". It's way cheaper and nicer than the folks next door.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 05:07 PM   #7

Thank you for all of your replies! You're all very kind. I will say, with our desire to stay away from the "tourist trap attractions" and instead get to know the people/area... the best thing we did was drive to Calabash, NC. We took a 2 hour adventure cruise on the Hurricane Fleet. Our ride took us out into the Atlantic Ocean where we had numerous sightings of dolphins! The people were very friendly and we got a true Carolina experience! Another experience unique to the area was driving to Southport, NC and driving our van onto a ferry and riding the ferry to Ft. Fisher, NC. Wow! What a neat memory for only a $5 ferry ticket! From there we visited the Ft. Fisher Aquarium.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:16 AM   #8

If you like the general area but want a more "laid-back" camping experience & nature, you might check out Huntington Beach State Park. It's about 10 miles south of Ocean Lakes on Hwy 17, just south of Murells Inlet. The park is a nature preserve and has lots to see (alligators & birds especially). The general area, Murells Inlet, Litchfield, Pawleys Island has plenty of restaurants but also much more laid back atmosphere.

Brookgreen Gardens is also right across Hwy 17 & has beautiful gardens & art.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:08 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hersh:
Brookgreen Gardens is also right across Hwy 17 & has beautiful gardens & art. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Not to mention the stand of 250+ year old "Live Oak" trees that pre-date the Civil War.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 09:25 PM   #10

I was truely saddened to hear about less than perfect trip the Myrtle Beach. I've stayed at Ocean Lakes three times in as many years. It can be a hectic place during the summer season with all of the kids running about in the golf cars, but most of that traffic is centerd around the beach front and pool area at night. And as an overdue piece of advice, NEVER travel the beach front boulevard at night. (where all of the hotels are) Traffic is a nightmare. And most of the low lifes hang out there. During the day though it is quite easy to get around, and the touristy things are easy to get to. North Myrtle Beach has the shopping and sites to see. The southern end has the best in seafood eateries at lower prices. By southern end I mean below Ocean Lakes. All there is to see isn't along side route 17. There is so much to do there we plan to return every year or until my kids consider it to lame to travel with Mom and Dad. Research, research, research. Surf the net till your mouse blows up, and find what there is to do there before returning. Then plan your trip around that research.

Del Monte
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 04:54 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reply </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
North Myrtle Beach equally as nice and much less rowdy. It's about 17 N of Myrtle Beach.

Kat
Kat-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 04:41 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The better time to visit MB and Ocean Lakes is during the 'off season.' We stayed there right after Christmas and it was quiet and nice. I guess that would be difficult with kids in school.

A recommended alternative is Emerald Isle, NC. The Holiday Travel Park on Coast Guard Road is immaculate and much more subdued than Myrtle. Also, you are close to Atlantic Beach, Moorhead City and Beaufort...lot's to see and do and the NC Aquarium in Salter Path is a great attraction (it's being renovated now but will open Spring 06).
Old 09-21-2005, 09:17 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hersh:
If you like the general area but want a more "laid-back" camping experience & nature, you might check out Huntington Beach State Park. It's about 10 miles south of Ocean Lakes on Hwy 17, just south of Murells Inlet. The park is a nature preserve and has lots to see (alligators & birds especially). The general area, Murells Inlet, Litchfield, Pawleys Island has plenty of restaurants but also much more laid back atmosphere.

Brookgreen Gardens is also right across Hwy 17 & has beautiful gardens & art. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We stayed there in August. I have stayed at Lakewood twice (freinds permanent site) and numerous hotels. HB was our first "camping" trip to MB. Reservations are made for next year already!

1993 Ford F350 CC Dually
Pafixitman is offline   Reply With Quote