RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2020, 02:32 PM   #15

Having done too many "lotsa driving" trips, I agree with Busskipper -- minimize the driving. Head for the high country of Colorado. Spend more time relaxing and less time on the road.

Do a grand tour of the southwest in cooler weather, when you have more time.

Have fun!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2020, 07:21 PM   #16

I like the 2-2-2 rule thumb. Arrive at the next location by 2pm. Drive no more than 200 miles/day. Stay at least 2 days. Iím more relaxed following this rule in our RV retirement life.
Ranger John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:41 PM   #17

300 to 350 miles in an RV is a fair amount of diving.

300 miles is what we aim for. You'll find that driving a large RV just takes more time. Try to always arrive at your destination before dusk. JMHO

Enjoy the journey.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 07:16 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
The campground within the Grand Canyon NP is very big-rig friendly, but reserve before you go. I would plan on at least 3 days at the park.

Be forewarned, the GCNP is a boring 1 hour drive one-way from I-40/Williams to the park entrance. One alternative is stay at a CG in Williams and ride the GC Railroad train up to the park. I've been told there is great scenery along the way.
The little town just outside the park has a great steakhouse. There are shuttle buses from the CG to all points along the South Rim. The restuarant at the GC lodge has a pretty good breakfast buffet.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:38 PM   #19

I made a mistake during my rookie travel year of going to Colorado in June. It was HOT! Very HOT! Utah and all those locations you mention will be HOT in June. Now I search a location on weather.com. Go to monthly and look at the weather during that month from last year. If itís above 75, I donít visit during that time of year. I select the best and most comfortable months so we can really enjoy the sites.
Ranger John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 09:54 PM   #20

We have 14 seasons, near on 2000 nights on the road & over 200,000 miles behind us.

Planning is still half the fun & many many hours to do.

We have 4 1/2 months & two itineraries on the go for 2021. Plan A is into Canada to Newfoundland. Plan B is a loop to the Pacific NW. Of course it all depends on Covid & if the Canadian border will be open by late May. No decisions till late April.

Whatever happens one needs to be flexible at short notice. Never know when you are going to get a weather day or have a mechanical. If you fly by the seat of the pants as we do most of the time, no reservations, have at least a couple of options in mind the night before.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 10:13 PM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
I hope you are not planning your driving time based on a certain MPH, ie. 300 mile at 60 MPH means a 5 hour drive time. Best plan on 50MPH and you won't be to far off.

Your plan seems pretty aggressive to me with not much time to stop and smell the roses.

Back in the old days, my aunt and uncle traveled by the 50-50 method. The would start out with X amount of dollars and when 50% was spent, they started back home
Old 11-14-2020, 10:26 PM   #22

Here's one more vote for 50mph average in planning. We try for 250 - 300 per day. Drive 3 hours before lunch and 2 or so hours after. With gas and lunch 50 mph is a good planning tool. And 50 makes calculating easy.
Old 11-15-2020, 01:28 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by profdan View Post
Having done too many "lotsa driving" trips, I agree with Busskipper -- minimize the driving. Head for the high country of Colorado. Spend more time relaxing and less time on the road.

Do a grand tour of the southwest in cooler weather, when you have more time.

Have fun!!
X3.....Next year you can leave earlier to do all those hot areas... like above , head to the high country where it will be cooler and you will not need AC or FHU.

You have a great rig (doesn’t need FHU) for getting away from the crowds (with a new wife if necessary) and even at 45’ I stay in plenty of SP (and a few NPs)...was easier to shrink to 40’ when we had a 42’.

Yes the planning can be fun but being on a fixed schedule takes a lot of the fun out of the actual trip for us. We’ll do 2+ months out West without any reservations and this past summer (with all the crowds) we had no trouble getting into CGs that do NOT take reservations...our favorite and NO they do not have FHUs.

Before it gets hot you need to dry camp in your rig (no hookups, in the driveway will do) and learn how to take advantage of all your rig will do without hookups...when it’s cool.

Houston to South Fork, CO is only 1000 miles...2 easy days giving you more time to enjoy CO.
Old 11-15-2020, 01:54 PM   #24

Just a thought but based on the timeframe the OP originally quoted ie; 14 to 20 days, is OP maybe limited on amount of time and sheer excitement wanting to cover some ground and experiences to kick start off his RVing lifestyle maybe the cause?

FWIW, I remember all too well the early RVing years when we were working, kids had limited time during school vacations and we wanted to expose them and us to as much travel locations as possible. "Road warriors", I think is the term used for that. Yes, sure there was a lot of driving and absolutely, NO some 20+ years later we can't cover the same type of ground and wouldn't want to, but at that time ...... We have absolutely no regrets for covering a lot of ground and creating untold memories with our children when we could and were a lot younger. Now of course we want to do it all again and see more but very very much slower. Sometimes we struggle to cover 150 miles nowadays never mind 300 miles LOL. Other days if going through prairies or nothing of interest to stop at areas, we might cover 500 miles split up with several mini breaks.

OP you've received plenty of tips above regarding temperatures, kids interests etc at the time of year you need to be using, so taking heed on all, just work in what you can for your limited time and for sure I agree Big Bend can wait for another shorter trip from home time. I remember for us with limited available time, we found it beneficial to get maximum time at our targeted furthest location we were aimed for, to pick kids up last day from school at 3.30pm, in the RV, brief stop 45mins down road for Dairy Queen (this tradition marked start of our vacation!).

With foods already prepped for couple of driving days, we continued down the road stopping when needed here and there and finally stopping for a few hours sleep at rest area, truck stop or Big box store. We'd then hit the road again, and usually be at our first locational stop by lunchtime/early afternoon on the next day. Do some exploring that day/next and head on at end of day to overnight nearer next place we wanted to explore and so on. We tried to make use of the days exploring, and driving closer to next location at the end of the day exploring current. That's what worked for us but as always to each their own.

When younger we thought nothing of night driving and actually enjoyed it then more than during the busy day traffic. Nowadays we can't stomach driving at night at all, so tend to pull over well before dusk.

This is your journey and memories, do it whatever way you chose and remember allow some wiggle room for any unexpected incidents, as they do happen we just don't know when. Maybe have two or three ideas for what you will cover on your trip, so if for any reason you can't do it all this time, you can cover another area another time.

Enjoy and Happy Travels.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 04:32 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
Thanks, Jim - I agree with you, I would much prefer March and April, however my stepson is the last one at home and he's graduating HS in late May and heading off, so my wife wants this to be a trip that he can go on with us. We can't leave any earlier than First week in June.
The OP stated this is the only time they can go. The point of this trip is so his stepson can go. I surely wouldn't discourage it. It CAN be done. There are vacationers in the Southwest all summer long!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:27 PM   #26

Thanks for all the comments. I appreciate all the input. Looks like it'll make sense to cut out Big Bend at the very least. Wife and stepson want to see the canyons, etc. Not much interest in Colorado. No wiggle room on early June, it's either that or don't go. We'll do the best we can with the temps and deal with it as best we can. I was hoping to plan around 300 miles a day on travel days, perhaps as much as 400 possible when necessary and it's all open road easy driving with no twists or mountains.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:47 PM   #27

As a rule of thumb I try to never plan more then 300-350 miles per day, though I will push that out to 400 if driving out west and needing to get to a specific destination where I plan to stay for at least 2 nights. Every time I have pushed it past 400 I have regretted it, also no matter how much I try, even out in west Texas on I-10 with 80+ mph speed limits I can't seem to average more than 50 mph on travel days, once fuel, stretch breaks, and food stops are added in, as everything takes longer in a motorhome, this includes time to get in and out of gas stations, time to fuel, etc. Given your fixed travel dates, I would plan things out and look for altitude at your destinations.