Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2020, 05:10 PM   #1

Finally starting to plan our first "big" trip - help, ideas, etc appreciated

We're finally starting to plan our first big (to us) trip. We've never owned an RV before, and we sort of jumped right into the deep end with a 43' Class A Diesel tag coach. We've never planned a RV trip before, so half the fun, and likely most of the mistakes will likely be in the planning.

We're planning on heading out the first two weeks of June 2021. We're in the Houston area, and we're planning on heading up as far as Utah, before heading back. Things we'd like to see on the way there and back, in no particular order, are Big Bend, Carlsbad Caverns, Antelope Canyon, Grand Canyon, and the Arches, Moab, etc area. We have 14 to 20 days to do so.

Given all that, questions that come to mind to get me started are:
1- Is that too much to hit for the time we have?
2- Anyplace on the list that's just not worth the time to stop?
3- Are we missing any must see in the area while we're there?

4- We can't park in the State/Nat'l parks from what I understand, we're too long. We're towing a Jeep Liberty so we can drive in and out from the RV park to where we want to see in the Jeep. Does anyone have park recommendations in these areas that they have stayed and like? We'll need full hookups everywhere we go. "The One Who's Opinion Truly Matters" demands full hookups as a condition of going. It's non-negotiable, believe me I have tried.... We'd like to stay in nice parks, not run down parks full of run down rigs.

5- How much can I plan on driving per day? What's typical?
6- Any preferred routing through those areas or just as importantly roads to avoid?
7- How hot are these areas typically in early June? Sightseeing in 115 degree heat can't be too much fun.

Any input anyone has would be greatly appreciated! We're excited to get going finally!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2020, 05:42 PM   #2

Nearly everywhere you want to go is in the great southwest desert. I suggest planning on leaving in March. Big Bend is great in March and as you drift northward and it warms up, it'll be very pleasant with low numbers of tourists, and uncrowded RV parks that early in the season. GC is a madhouse in June. For instance, if you want to hike in the canyon, you have to make reservations a year in advance...and with Covid, doubt they'll even be ready to open in June '21 (best check me on that, they might be open now... ).

If you've never driven a large vehicle like a bus before, drive around and watch how buses and semi's travel around town. Learn how they handle corners, at what speeds, etc. and how they enter and exit roadways, parking lots, etc.. After a couple weeks of that, drive your RV around town, go to the store, drive to a nearby stadium, practice backup parking in their lot. Leave the towed at home the first few times.

After 16 years of full timing, I'd say to plan to drive no more than 5 hours. And leave when you feel like it, maybe 9 AM, but before 10 AM. Never be in a rush. Doing that puts you at 300 odd miles at around 3 pm. Perfect for beating the average RV'er that arrives late, so you'll likely never be turned away. And still gives you a couple daylight hours to find somewhere else if your choice isn't worth it. Don't make reservations unless it's a popular tourist destination. Just drive and have two choices.

There are so many thousands of really nice RV parks, I hesitate to recommend any. I'd suggest you just google places you want to go, asking google to show nearby RV parks and choose from those. Then when you have questions, come back here and ask about those parks or for better ideas. But pin down an area first. When planning a trip, I always write up and carry a paper listing of 'bail out' RV parks near where I'm heading...just in case. Sometimes the GPS fails, or there's no cell reception.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 05:57 PM   #3

Thanks, Jim - I agree with you, I would much prefer March and April, however my stepson is the last one at home and he's graduating HS in late May and heading off, so my wife wants this to be a trip that he can go on with us. We can't leave any earlier than First week in June.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:17 PM   #4

Keep your fingers crossed for a late winter, I've found that cuts down on the crowds in June. I've made similar trips from Texas in the past, those years I was coming back from Florida, and I survived so it's not like heading over there and then turning north in June will be a disaster, but I'd recommend you try to avoid the most popular destinations and go to those places that aren't so well advertised. Google and Wiki will tell you how many visitors a place gets so I've often checked those before planning an excursion too.

Early on in my full timing adventure, I found many many 2nd choice attractions near the big ones so I never was at a loss of where to visit, and it was usually very much less crowded. Big Bend is sooo cool, you should go there. But than try Gila Cliff Dwellings, and then north to El Moro. Wow, that's such an interesting place to visit. One day visit. Then cross over, drive through Winslow AZ, than stop at the Cliff Dwellings just outside of Flagstaff...whoa are they cool, imagining people living there. If they are open by then of course, it's worth it, that's a 2-3 hour walk about. Stay in Flagstaff where it's nice and cool under the pines. Then head to GC. And...hey...I'm smelling burnt toast...BBL. Must have been the neighbor bbq'ing.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 06:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Big Bend, Carlsbad Caverns, Antelope Canyon, Grand Canyon, and the Arches, Moab, etc area. We have 14 to 20 days to do so.
OK keeping your time constraints in mind:
1) Scratch Big Bend it probably will be hotter than Hades. We've been there in that time frame.

2) No problems with Carlsbad, avoid the campground outside the park. Whites I think and camp in town. Get familiar with https://www.campgroundreviews.com/ for cg reviews almost everywhere.
3) I have not been to Antelope, probably hot so get out early in the morning carry lots of water. The light, from what I hear, is special only a short time during the day.

4) Suggest you do the North Rim of the GC which is much higher and cooler.

5) Arches has become a mob scene since Utah advertised the place. It is also hotter than Hades. Suggest substituting Bryce Canyon which is higher and cooler.

You probably will be driving right by Petrified Forest/Painted Desert they are worth a visit and down the road the Meteor Crater is worth seeing. I'd think long and hard before stopping at any of the Indian Ruin NP that you will pass they will be almost deadly hot. We are from Florida BTW was we are used to hot.

You may want to find a big empty parking lot and get a bunch of cardboard boxes. Spend Sunday afternoon practicing parking that barge. Take a look at some of these videos: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...s+a+motorhome+

There are driving schools for those things
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
We're finally starting to plan our first big (to us) trip. We've never owned an RV before, and we sort of jumped right into the deep end with a 43' Class A Diesel tag coach. We've never planned a RV trip before, so half the fun, and likely most of the mistakes will likely be in the planning.

OK the planning is Fun but you need to set your "Mission and Parameters Correctly"

We're planning on heading out the first two weeks of June 2021. We're in the Houston area, and we're planning on heading up as far as Utah, before heading back. Things we'd like to see on the way there and back, in no particular order, are Big Bend, Carlsbad Caverns, Antelope Canyon, Grand Canyon, and the Arches, Moab, etc area. We have 14 to 20 days to do so.

Try to get more time - the Drive to and the time At needs to be as long as Possible - 23 - 30 days would be Smart, JMHO.

Most people I have met from Texas are looking for a Break in the Weather - so think Long and Hard about taking this first trip into the Heat when it gets to be over a 100 you really don't enjoy being out in it - Do You?

Look to where Many from Texas Enjoy their Summers - Colorado. ! JAT.

1- Is that too much to hit for the time we have? I've been doing this for 50 years and have tried everything/way possible - 3 - days, if Possible at least at each stop makes the trip Just more Fun.

2- Anyplace on the list that's just not worth the time to stop? Just where it is still too HOT!

3- Are we missing any must see in the area while we're there? Generally - we try to Use Elevation and Humidity to Control the Heat in the Summer - We also Search Out Water - Lakes - Rivers and Reservoirs - sure are fun in the Summer

4- We can't park in the State/Nat'l parks from what I understand, we're too long. We're towing a Jeep Liberty so we can drive in and out from the RV park to where we want to see in the Jeep. Does anyone have park recommendations in these areas that they have stayed and like? We'll need full hookups everywhere we go. "The One Who's Opinion Truly Matters" demands full hookups as a condition of going. It's non-negotiable, believe me I have tried.... We'd like to stay in nice parks, not run down parks full of run down rigs. We are in a 43' coach and we stayed in many of the parks - the issue is more on availability than Fitting

5- How much can I plan on driving per day? What's typical? I suggest you stop before you get tired - I'm good for say 350 - have no issue will 200 and if needed will do 600 - Have friends that do 700+ - so the answer is it depends on YOU>

6- Any preferred routing through those areas or just as importantly roads to avoid? Depends on final Itinerary.

7- How hot are these areas typically in early June? Sightseeing in 115 degree heat can't be too much fun. Correct- so look to Colorado

Any input anyone has would be greatly appreciated! We're excited to get going finally!
Spend more time on what you enjoy - Drive Less - Enjoy More - Water is generally Fun - The Mountains of Southern Colorado are Closer and a Lot more Comfortable in June, JMHO

Best of Luck,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 04:44 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Doug, you already seem to possess two traits that will go a long way toward a successful trip - a positive attitude and a sense of humor. Good for you!

Whether or not you have enough time to see all the places on your list depends on how you plan to spend your time at each location. If you'll be more or less driving through each location to hit the high points and the view points, two or three weeks should be sufficient. If your family is inclined to spend a bit of time in the visitor centers, hike the trails, take the Jeep off-roading, etc. then it seems like you might be trying to pack too much into one trip.

My humble opinion . . . I'd concentrate on the fabulous State Parks, National Parks and other special attractions in Utah for the full two or three weeks, and consider a separate trip to Big Bend, Carlsbad Caverns (White Sands. too) and other southern locations during a cooler time of year. Planning around the weather should make your adventures more enjoyable, and the attractions in Utah are more than enough to keep you busy for two to three weeks if you plan to truly explore the Parks.

As for route, if you happen to be traveling from the Grand Canyon area to the National Parks in Utah, you might not fit through the Zion-Mount Carmel Tunnel outside of Zion National Park if you're approaching from the east; you'll have to circle around and enter Zion from the west. Here's the link for more information including restrictions: https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvis...mel-tunnel.htm.

The number of miles or hours to drive each day is very subjective; you'll figure out what feels right for you on this trip since it's your first long one. We've traveled 500 to 700 miles per day when we were crossing the country on our National Parks trips. Now that the kids are grown and we're retired, I prefer not to push it that far unless necessary and would be content with nailing 300 to 400 miles per day. It's really a personal preference - others may set 100 to 300 miles per day as their standard. Play with some times and distances while you're planning your first trip and see how it goes. You'll know soon enough what your preference is.

A couple of personal comments . . . When we first started RVing, we stayed in private RV parks like you're planning to. We decided to try dry camping in Yellowstone's Madison Campground for a few days on one of our National Parks trip. Waking up inside the Park was a game changer for us. Now, we only stay in private parks when a State or National Park isn't available or we're traveling in the summer and need electric to run the AC and it's not available in the Park. My point is that there's hope - your wife may change her mind once she's seen our National Parks. Certainly there will be some that you won't fit it, but "twogypsies" is a frequent commenter on the forum and they have extensive experience camping with a big rig in the National Parks system. So keep an eye out for their posts.

The second personal comment . . . Traveling with your stepson as he's on the cusp of adulthood will create lifelong memories for all of you. When we toured the National Parks in Utah, our son was 16 and our daughter was 11. They had SUCH a wonderful time exploring the Parks. They have both since "aged out" of traveling with us, as both are adults working full time jobs. The camping adventures we shared with them were some of the best times of our lives. So, enjoy every minute of your time with your stepson - it will be a trip he'll never forget!

My apologies for chewing your ear off - good luck with your planning!

Mary
4ina4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:45 AM   #8

Ok, here goes:

Yes, we live in western Louisiana and did 2 days in Sante Fe, NM, followed by nights in Aztec, NM, Gooseneck SP, UT, 3 nights in Page and 3 nights at the Grand Canyon on what could have been a 2 week trip rushing to get home in October of 2019. (my wife flew home from Flagstaff due to work obligations on day 12, and I continued a leisurely solo trip the rest of the way home getting home on day 25). 20 days maybe, but even then I would cut Big Bend out of the trip as it is just too many miles out of the way. Maybe cut Carlsbad out of the trip too, the good thing about Carlsbad NP, is that for many / most people it is a half day stop. Get your tickets well in advance for Antelope canyon, we bought ours 6 weeks out, and even then had limit time slots to choose.

2- Anyplace on the list that's just not worth the time to stop? It is not about time to stop, but how many added miles are needed to get there, Big Bend stands out as likely being at least 2 days driving out of your way.

3- Are we missing any must see in the area while we're there? Really consider a Glen canyon float trip if you are in Page if the weather is not too hot. We did it (half day float trip) and Lower Antelope canyon when there in Oct 2019, and both were well worth doing. There are no rapids on this float trip, just gentle current floating down the canyon with about 30 of your new close friends sitting elbow to elbow.

4- We can't park in the State/Nat'l parks from what I understand, we're too long. We're towing a Jeep Liberty so we can drive in and out from the RV park to where we want to see in the Jeep. Does anyone have park recommendations in these areas that they have stayed and like? We'll need full hookups everywhere we go. "The One Who's Opinion Truly Matters" demands full hookups as a condition of going. It's non-
negotiable, believe me I have tried.... We'd like to stay in nice parks, not run down parks full of run down rigs.

If you can try to get her to try one night at least off grid camping somewhere like goosenck state park, see attached photo of our campsite there. Though be aware it can be HOT in June.

5- How much can I plan on driving per day? What's typical? My rule of thumb out west is 300-350 miles per day max, prefer less, every time I have pushed this past 400 I have looked back and regretted doing so.

6- Any preferred routing through those areas or just as importantly roads to avoid? Watch out for US 285 south of Carlsbad, lots of reports of it being in very bad shape due to oilfield traffic the last few years.

7- How hot are these areas typically in early June? Sightseeing in 115 degree heat can't be too much fun. It depends on where you are, there is a lot of altitude variation in this region. For example Page, Az is under 4,000 ft, (more like 3,300 down at the river) where the north rim of the Grand Canyon is at over 8,000 and the south rim is at 7,000
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gooseneck-site.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	307845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gooseneck-pan.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	307846  

Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:29 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
As the others have said... Big Bend is too hot and too isolated to be on your trip.

Utah and Grand Canyon are super super full - I mean jam packed and tough to get into during the time you plan to go. So, reservations now are a must. But since it’s your first time planning such a trip that may be difficult.

The solution is to simplify the itinerary as much as possible. Don’t try to do too much.

PS. I hope you are taking a lot of short 2-3 day trips all around Texas between now and your “big trip.” That’s vitally important.
Old 11-13-2020, 07:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post

2- Anyplace on the list that's just not worth the time to stop?
3- Are we missing any must see in the area while we're there?

4- We can't park in the State/Nat'l parks from what I understand, we're too long. We're towing a Jeep Liberty so we can drive in and out from the RV park to where we want to see in the Jeep. Does anyone have park recommendations in these areas that they have stayed and like? We'll need full hookups everywhere we go. "The One Who's Opinion Truly Matters" demands full hookups as a condition of going. It's non-negotiable, believe me I have tried.... We'd like to stay in nice parks, not run down parks full of run down rigs.

5- How much can I plan on driving per day? What's typical?
6- Any preferred routing through those areas or just as importantly roads to avoid?
7- How hot are these areas typically in early June? Sightseeing in 115 degree heat can't be too much fun.

Many excellent suggestions here. I would skip Big Bend. You are out of Houston, and can make that trip some other time. I agree that you should go to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Cooler and forested. Arches is a must see. I have been numerous times, and always enjoy seeing again. Simply awesome. Yes, you will be in hot weather, but your RV is well-equipped to handle that.

Ray
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:55 AM   #11

First of all congratulations on your new coach. Sounds great. Drool. 😂
I'm sure you will enjoy it.

For your first long trip I feel that you might be trying to see too much and drive to far. JMHO. Our trips tend to be drive one or two days, stop two days or more and this varies on every trip. We have done the two weeks of major travel and see everything and arrived home feeling exhausted and needing a vacation!

Just a suggestion.

The bottom line is to relax and have fun. Good luck and let the group know how you get on.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:19 AM   #12

Before you take your long trip, be sure to take a shakedown weekend close to home. Also recommend 2 or 3 or more additional weekends close to home in order to gain experience and confidence in the coach and all its systems. Not to mention feeling at home in it.

June in southern Utah will be hot, from 90f to 105f or more. To stay cool, gain altitude. Or latitude. Bryce and N. Rim are good suggestions. But you have AC, so if you're hooked up, less critical. Boondocking will require a good generator.

And always, ALWAYS have plenty of drinking water at hand when outdoors. 1 gallon per person on a 5+ mile hike is a good beginning. Wear shady hats, sturdy shoes, good sunglasses and plenty of sunscreen.

One last thing, try to be active early in the morning, less active in the afternoon.
It's a dry heat, so you don't feel yourself sweat. Did I mention plenty of water?
Old 11-13-2020, 09:01 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm excited for you and your first big trip. We've all been there, and here we all are trying to pass along useful advice for you, because we all know that our own first trips opened new horizons and experiences for us that we all thank our lucky stars we're able to enjoy. So, a few broad suggestions:
1) We typically average about 50 MPH, including stops, when on travel days; so, we try to build our driving days around "+" or "-" 6 hours and 300 miles in order to cover needed distances without overdriving and wearing ourselves out.
2) For any major stops/attractions on your To Do list, you'll typically need 3-nights (two days) minimum to do them justice. Don't just play tag with those places, really see them. That also means make the trip as long, in days, as you reasonably can.
3) Leave stops on the table for future adventures. No matter how you plan this first trip, depending on the length of trip you allow yourselves, you won't be able to do everything you want to this time around. Now is the "kid in the candy store" phase. So, make it as inclusive as you can without hedging on the quality of each visit. There is also going to be a lot of "learning how to RV" activity going on during this trip, and you're going to have to accommodate that in your planning as well. If you don't, you can easily get overwhelmed if something pops up during the course of the trip that's unexpected.
And finally, to facilitate your planning, get a helpful planning tool. I use RV Trip Wizard (subscription based) and it’s extremely useful for making a trip plan materialize in front of your eyes. There are others as well, but I know this one because I use it, and I do all my trip plans with it. We are not fulltime, so my trips need to be put together start-to-finish. Having a planning tool will also help you immensely to find every campground or park around your targeted areas that will accommodate your size and hookup/amenities needs. That will ease any anxiety you may have about finding your camping locations.

So have fun putting your plan together. The earlier you can formulate it, the better; because as others have said, you’ll be traveling at the start of the heavy tourist times at many of your target stops.

All the best, and safe travels.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:06 PM   #14

You've received good recommendations so far. For full hookup parks you could use this site. I can't give you many recommendation on RV parks because we typically boondock or use public parks:

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/

Every national park has an awesome web site giving you things to do, road information, special alerts (virus closings - hopefully not) and maps. Check them out.

Yes, your trip will be hot (around 100 deg+) but certainly doable because it's 'dry' heat. Really... people laugh about this but it does make a difference. You won't be cool but you won't be dripping wet. You don't know that you're sweating so be sure to drink water constantly and if hiking, take more than you planned.

Make the effort to get up super early to start touring. Not only will the crowds be down but if you can get out by 7am (or earlier) you'll like the temps better. The heat will start building up around 10-11 am. Use the afternoon to relax or to drive around siteseeing in the AC car. Then go out again around 5 or 6pm and do some more hiking or outside things.

I'd recommend that you let your teen give some input as to what he wants to do since this trip is centered around him although I can't imagine he'd disagree on what you've chosen - all good places.

Yes, skip Big Bend.

For Carlsbad Caverns plan to stay in nearby Carlsbad. There is a RV park right outside the Caverns but it's bare bones if that doesn't bother you. No reason to spend more than a night or two there. At the Caverns be sure to rent the device whereby every time you stop at an important formation it will automatically turn on at your ear to give you a description.

For a first-time visit I'd suggest the South Rim of Grand Canyon. Yes, it will be more crowded and warmer but you'll get a better overview of the Canyon. We do like the North Rim because of being less crowded but the South Rim has a lot more to offer. Be sure to hike down the Bright Angel Trail at least for 1/2 mi. or so... remember - you have to come up. It will give you a better perspective of the Canyon itself. The South Rim also has a free shuttle service making it easy to get around. Stay IN the park itself at Trailer Village for the best overall experience. There are some big sites.

From the South Rim take Hwy 89 north out of Flagstaff to Page if you want to do Antelope Canyon. Wahweap Campground is a good place to stay. You could take a short boat trip on the Colorado River from Page.

If you want to visit Zion it will be hot but there's plenty of shade in the Canyon plus water to cool off and a fun water hike at the end of the shuttle. They have a shuttle service through the canyon & you can't drive it yourself. During this virus you need reservations for it so don't know if that still will be the case. It used to be free. There are FHU parks in Hurricane and Springdale. Look up information on driving the Zion Tunnels for specifics. Otherwise, from Page take 89 into Kanab then south a little to Fredonia, AZ and pick up 389 which becomes Utah 59 which will take you into Hurricane. Then Hwy 9 east to Zion. Beautiful, easy driving.

Leaving Zion go west on Hwy 9 to I-15 north and pick up Hwy 20 east to 89 south through Panguitch, UT. Then Hwy 12 east to Bryce. Don't be tempted to take Hwy 14 off I-15. You won't like it - steep.

Definitely stop at Bryce Nat'l Park. It will be pleasant temps. You'll have a short tunnel to pass just before Bryce but there would be no problem for you. Semi trucks use it. Ruby's RV at the Bryce gate is the place to stay. The shuttle stops right there and will take you into the park and all the scenic stops. Be sure to do a hike below the Rim. It's a fairy wonderland down there. Wall Street Trail is fun going down and you can choose another trail to come up if you feel it's too steep for you on the up.

Then continue on Hwy 12 for a gorgeous drive to Torrey. You could stay there if you wanted to visit Capitol Reef Nat'l Park. Leaving Torrey take 24 to I-70 east to 191 for Moab and Arches Nat'l Park.

There are RV parks right in town; some with pools. Since you have a Jeep I'd really suggest doing some off-road trails and Moab is the place to do this. Check out the Visitor Center for maps and recommendations. They may even have a guided trip if you're not comfortable going by yourself for the first time. Lots of neat trails for all abilities. Before your trip check out the town's Calendar of Events online to see if anything of interest is happening while you're there. There's always something going on.

Moab is definitely a hiking park so start your day early. Sign up for a reservation for the Fiery Furnace hike in the morning. It has shade and your teen would absolutely love it. It's ranger-led. If you'll be there on June 24 that's the time to hike via the full moon to Delicate Arch. Many will be doing it! Beautiful!! One evening sign up for the evening dinner cruise/light show on the Colorado River.

While in Moab drive through Canyonlands Nat'l Park and there are some easy Jeep roads in that area.

Returning to Texas and if you have time, take Hwy 191 south then 163 to Monument Valley. Stay at Gouldings RV and sign up for a tour of the Valley. Lots of western movies done there.

Then continue on 163 to Hwy 160 and many ways to return from here depending on your time. You could take 191 south to I-40 or continue on 160 east to Bloomfield, New Mexico (nice Indian ruins in nearby Aztec). Then 550 south to I-25 at Albuquerque.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote