Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2021, 11:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
Thanks Buss.

There are lots of small camp grounds off the beaten path that are secret becuase few know about them.

We have a couple small county campgrounds here on a small lake about 10min off I-75. $35 a night, secluded, showers, laundry, water, dump station, elec, waterfront, hiking/biking trails. Nice stopover for a quiet night or a couple days rest in the middle of a long trip.

Thats the kind of places we like to stay.
We also found some jewels like that.... city and county parks. Most were found for us just by Googling campground and the city. The small ones don't typically advertise. We traveled across North Dakota once and all we used were the small town parks and they were excellent... and VERY reasonable.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2021, 08:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
One thing we have learned is to either call ahead and confirm the address of the campground, or use the GPS coordinates to find some of the smaller county campgrounds.

Otherwise you might just end up looking for the center of the zip code! Happened to us one time in NM!
It is important to check the websites of campgrounds or call ahead. The websites often have information about the best route or warnings of GPS issues.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:42 AM   #17

twogypsies really hit it on the head about finding hidden gems in the city/county parks. On our recent trip to the UP we fond a couple of true hidden gems in municipal parks. I wish I knew of a web site specializing in listing these type of parks. Allstays doesn't have a filter for it and USCAmpgrounds lists some of them, but not specifically just them. I guess the biggest issue is that their (the parks) budget doesn't allow for advertising, but that's also what makes them the "hidden" gems.
Keep spreading the word in a quiet sort of way. We are searching.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmp View Post
twogypsies really hit it on the head about finding hidden gems in the city/county parks. On our recent trip to the UP we fond a couple of true hidden gems in municipal parks. I wish I knew of a web site specializing in listing these type of parks. Allstays doesn't have a filter for it and USCAmpgrounds lists some of them, but not specifically just them. I guess the biggest issue is that their (the parks) budget doesn't allow for advertising, but that's also what makes them the "hidden" gems.
Keep spreading the word in a quiet sort of way. We are searching.
We have discovered many of those great little gems on “Campendium “

It is our go to when traveling lately - reviews - web sites - and addresses - we had good luck with a few of these last Summer in Kansas and Missouri.

$20.00 - on a lake - FHU’s.

Hard to beat!
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:59 AM   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
If I don't plan on choosing only non commercial campgrounds, I use the AllStays app. The excellent filtering is useful for finding year round campgrounds, etc.

For non commercial campgrounds I prefer the Ultimate Public Campground Project list, available on line, as an app, or POIs for your GPS. While AllStays includes some non commercial campgrounds, the Ultimate List has more. Both apps use maps with the app to locate nearby campgrounds.
Old 01-05-2021, 12:06 PM   #20

Rv Trip Wizard is our go to.
rtcadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 04:05 PM   #21
PKI

When you fine people recommend a campground, I add them to our destinations list. Then we review the website and build a plan for the pending trips. Thank you for your hard work in finding the really great ones.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:01 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
If you can't find a campground with all the tools listed here then there's isn't a CG out there for you. All good tools. I'm just curious, is your plan to move to some location where ever you can find a campground just to see what's in that area or do you have destination areas that you want to visit and you are looking for CGs in that area? Either way, given one month (which will fly by) you're probably not going to cover a lot of territory given that you have to back track.

Tags
campground