Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2016, 10:04 AM   #43

I generally drive 300 miles as I'm tired after 6 hours. For overnight stays, I don't want to unhook the car and we don't much like to stay in parking lots so I always make a reservation in a place that has long pull through sites. Then I hook up only the electric ( unless a tank dump is needed) so easy to get going the next day.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2016, 10:08 AM   #44

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Why stop early?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbow View Post
Unless there is something specific along the way you want to stop for I wouldn't bother.

I like to drive and will drive 8 to 10 hours a day split into three runs. A morning, afternoon, and after dinner. Others like the 330 rule. Stop at 330 miles or 3:30.

Find your hike.
I purchased a motor home to travel and camp. Free camping at Walmart truck stops is for sleeping and/or eating. Maybe you will get groceries or fuel, but it is not a campground. I pull in late when I am DONE driving. I try to relax so that I can sleep. Then I try to get back on the road as early as I can. I don't enjoy sitting inside for 5 or 6 hours watching tv. That is 5 or 6 hours closer to my ultimate destination.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-07-17 15.19.34.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	147351  
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:17 AM   #45

^^ on our next trip we have a stop planned about 3/4 of the way to our final destination. Other than that it's driving. I could stop earlier and cut into the backlog of reading I have but I'd rather be driving until I'd rather be stopped.
Jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 02:05 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
Ice3
I live about 43 minutes north of Ocala national Forest but off highway 17. It's about 45 minutes south of Jacksonville and 45 minutes west of St Augustine. Beautiful sunny day about 80 outside. If you are going down 17 and need to overnight then the back yard is available.
w2drfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 02:59 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dude View Post
I generally drive 300 miles as I'm tired after 6 hours. For overnight stays, I don't want to unhook the car and we don't much like to stay in parking lots so I always make a reservation in a place that has long pull through sites. Then I hook up only the electric ( unless a tank dump is needed) so easy to get going the next day.
I'd like to share a little known secrete with those driving through North Carolina, North or south on I95.

At exit 106 in Kenley, the Iowa 80 truck stop has a free to RV dump site off the frontage road.

When you get off the interstate, drive towards the truck stop and turn onto the frontage road as if you are headed to the motel.

You will see the sign that indicates the RV dump and asking SEMI's not to use this area.

Normally you won't have an issue with pulling through the parking lot with a towed.

I would not put the water in my tanks, but it's good for cleaning up, and if you get there at the right time, you can park over to the side over night or however long you need. or you can move over to the truck parking area for a spot.

Food courts are inside the truck stop, and a couple of beautiful tractor trucks on display.

If you need L/P at this point, the Flying (J) is on the other side of the bridge (same exit) with full RV service lanes.

You mentioned you will be traveling from PA winterized. Once you get to North Carolina, you can pick up water and set up your system for full operation, the weather from that point south will support that with no problem. I would only use water from a campground for filling the tanks.

I don't know if you are familiar with the shower services you can use at the truck stops along the way until you get yours up and running, but that's another option to keep in mind.

Happy Trails, and Merry Christmas to you and yours

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 04:22 PM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbow View Post
That 400 mile first day will just about get us out of Texas [emoji3]I laugh when we get out east and drive through three states without refueling.
Jimbow,
and you are right to laugh at us easterners...when we leave Connecticut to head south.....the first day....leave Connecticut,thru NY,NJ,Pa,Maryland,West Va,into Va and stop for the night....that is all in 335 miles
Now, I worked in Odessa,Tx many years ago......drove for miles ,dayd...still in Texas...I flew from Odessa-Midland,Texas back....when the plane got to the Tx?la border...I was 1/2 way home....Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:27 PM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lce3 View Post
Thanks to the update. 2 p.m. for 4 p.m. stop is helpful. And Allstays sounds like the best option. I guess I'm going to have to get better at using phone apps.
The wife uses her iPad with Verizon Wifi.
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:46 AM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
The wife uses her iPad with Verizon Wifi.
Thanks. I can do that!
lce3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:50 AM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
I'd like to share a little known secrete with those driving through North Carolina, North or south on I95.

At exit 106 in Kenley, the Iowa 80 truck stop has a free to RV dump site off the frontage road.

When you get off the interstate, drive towards the truck stop and turn onto the frontage road as if you are headed to the motel.

You will see the sign that indicates the RV dump and asking SEMI's not to use this area.

Normally you won't have an issue with pulling through the parking lot with a towed.

I would not put the water in my tanks, but it's good for cleaning up, and if you get there at the right time, you can park over to the side over night or however long you need. or you can move over to the truck parking area for a spot.

Food courts are inside the truck stop, and a couple of beautiful tractor trucks on display.

If you need L/P at this point, the Flying (J) is on the other side of the bridge (same exit) with full RV service lanes.

You mentioned you will be traveling from PA winterized. Once you get to North Carolina, you can pick up water and set up your system for full operation, the weather from that point south will support that with no problem. I would only use water from a campground for filling the tanks.

I don't know if you are familiar with the shower services you can use at the truck stops along the way until you get yours up and running, but that's another option to keep in mind.

Happy Trails, and Merry Christmas to you and yours

DTW
Thanks for all this. Good info and some of it (free RV dump) I might never have figured out.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:01 AM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dude View Post
Thanks for this. Hadn't really thought about it but makes sense to only hook electric. Saves time going in and leaving.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:10 AM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb.25 View Post
Being 69 years young, and driving a gas V-10 rig, I find that 400 miles is about my limit for the day. ( DW won't drive the coach ). When snow birding I try to find a campground to plug in Electric and Cable, and use electric space heaters. I will drive two days in a row, then rest for a day, and dewinterize. We find that there are KOA-journey campgrounds along the way and make advance reservations on-line. They have a good website, and smart phone app. In general, I find the $35 to $45 campground fees an investment that helps make the trip more enjoyable, and a drop in the bucket compared to the overall expense of a three month snow bird excursion. BTW, we go far south to the Naples area.
Thanks for your perspective. Hadn't really thought about driving 2 days & then resting for one but it makes sense. Sounds as if you stick with KOA. I wondered about them because it looked as if they have some good options.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:15 AM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas! Thank you again to everyone who weighed in. I got some great suggestions and more than I'd thought possible. - Much appreciation.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:47 AM   #55

KOA developed a bad reputation for charging for every little thing. They seem to have gone though some kind of shakeup in how they describe and charge for their parks. Being a bit selective but wanting decent WiFi we have been using them off an on for the last couple of years with reasonable results. We can say the same for the Yogi Bear chain.

Another trend we have noticed is to have a group of pull through sites for travelers that are separate from the long term sites. More common along the busy travel routes. That seems to bother some people but not others. We don't care as long as the place is more or less clean. We are not using the pool or much else other than the campsite. Hook up electric and cable if there. Do the sewer if I need to dump then pack it back up. We never use city water.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:59 AM   #56

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lce3 View Post
Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas! Thank you again to everyone who weighed in. I got some great suggestions and more than I'd thought possible. - Much appreciation.
ICS3, we must be neighbors....we live in the same neck of the woods.
We travel 95 often headed south. The recommendation for DC holds true, depending on the time of the day you pass through and the luck of the draw it can get pretty bad. The middle of the night is always the best if you can keep your eyes open or leave home at midnight.
Are you in a Motorhome or trailer? We often stop at truck stops or rest areas, I believe NC will not allow overnight parking, some truck stops have dump stations and a place to refill the fresh water.
South of the Border SC has a campground just off of I95, easy in and out.
There are campgrounds down 95 and most are posted on the blue signs 2 miles before the exit.
have a safe trip
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, east coast, i-95, overnight, overnight stops