Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2021, 09:30 PM   #1

Finding locations to camp

When I look for a place to camp, I feel like don't know what I'm doing.

I am heading to Ogden, UT, so I put the into google. I get a million places, and it takes forever to go through them to find a good option.

There has to be a better way. Any direction here??
Djfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2021, 10:09 PM   #2

I like the rvparky app on Android And is free.
Rvtripwizard is also good but not free.
wolfgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:20 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Here's the best thing I have found and it's a sister site of IRV2. CampgroundReviews lets you select a state, click on an area then see nearly all available private and public campgrounds. The nice thing is you can see reviews, a satellite view and a link to the park's web site, plus it's totally free.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:28 PM   #4

All I did was to type Ogden, Utah and this is what came up. Reading the reviews helps a lot but don't always go by a poorer rating. Read the review to see what they complained about. Many times it's for something that wouldn't bother you or by something that could easily change the next day, such as weather, bugs, etc.

We really liked this site and we've posted hundreds of reviews on it:

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/utah/ogden
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:28 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We use RVparky as well. there are many other trip planning apps. I'd recommend you figure out your travel route first. Then figure out how many miles you wish to travel each leg. From there its easy to narrow down on the available camp grounds. Use the reviews, look at google maps sat shots, check amenities/ price/ access to route. Pick the one that meets your needs.
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:34 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
One other thing, when you see a bad review ready why. I see many knocked down because of poor internet access, that's not an issue for us so I discount them. Same with those knocked down because the CG doesn't have enough activities for kids, not an issue for us. Many knock down CG because they have full time residents. That's just a reality of current life and conditions. I look to see if the reviews indicate that the CG management keeps conditions clean, safe, and well maintained.

find your knitch, and enjoy!

j
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 01:45 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
It depends on what your looking for I was just looking for a place for Williams AZ. I usually use Campendium and did for this trip I found a good boon-docking area on that site.

I have never used rvparkey or campsite reviews so I ran my search with them. The spot we are boon-docking at did not show up. Now I just tried it and I may not have the options correct.

I think we are all in the same boat there is not a one stop shop.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2road View Post
One other thing, when you see a bad review ready why. I see many knocked down because of poor internet access, that's not an issue for us so I discount them. Same with those knocked down because the CG doesn't have enough activities for kids, not an issue for us. Many knock down CG because they have full time residents. That's just a reality of current life and conditions. I look to see if the reviews indicate that the CG management keeps conditions clean, safe, and well maintained.

find your knitch, and enjoy!

j
Good advice. I also see some one-star reviews because someone's pit bull is not allowed. While I might agree with the policy, I can still understand their frustration. It isn't an issue for us.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:54 PM   #9
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2road View Post
Great advice. One of our favorites got a one-star by someone who did not like the sheds, sheds the campground installs when someone takes out a long-term lease.

They also did not like all of the outdoor decorations, even though the campground runs decorating contests.

And OMG! The pool was under a giant screened-in area to keep the leaves, birds and bugs out instead of being exposed to the sky. Oh, the humanity.

Ray
Old 05-20-2021, 06:13 AM   #10

Because we usually travel with a destination and purpose I look for campgrounds that are close to where we want to be.

When we had plans to attend a tennis tournament in Houston, it was a real challenge. There are many different types of campgrounds surrounding the city, but because we had a specific destination in the area I was able to narrow my search and found a nice park south of the city that fit our needs and location.

By narrowing it down to an area I did not have that many parks to review.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming View Post

When we had plans to attend a tennis tournament in Houston .....
... Just curious... you've made comments in the past about tennis tournaments. Do you play in them or just like to attend? We were diehard tennis players and fans and entered local tournaments. Then we switched to pickleball.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 07:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
... Just curious... you've made comments in the past about tennis tournaments. Do you play in them or just like to attend? We were diehard tennis players and fans and entered local tournaments. Then we switched to pickleball.
We used to play for grins with friends but injuries, etc. have sidelined us. I am married to a die hard fan of the sport and we have arranged a number of our trips around tournaments. We used to make an annual (non RV) pilgrimage to the Open in NY. A few years back it was not fun any more. Too many people, too many restrictions. We then found the Challenger Tour and we are now going to other tournaments on the tennis calendar.

The Houston stop was on our way east from the Indian Wells tournament. Did not enjoy it. It has great potential, but a really bad set up for spectators. We did get to see some really great old homes around River Oaks Country Club and there was a Van Gogh exhibition going on at one of the museums.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 03:03 PM   #13

Today we had to make an unscheduled stop due to sustained high winds. Fortunately, it was a small town with only a couple of options.

Thanks for the tips all!
Djfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 10:53 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
“Kampnik” app is a great resource that I use to find government sponsored camping. Anything from local village and country parks on up to state parks and national park/ BLM/ army corp of engineers camping. A very complete database of of very reasonably priced (some free) places to camp. You can search by areas using the maps feature. I use it for every trip.
Daddypez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat