RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2020, 09:00 AM   #1

First Cross-Country TT Trip

We bought our first TT last month (22-ft Dutchmen Sport in perfect shape) and are remodeling it over the winter.

Wife is adamant she wants to see Sedona, AZ next May. I know taking a long trip right out of the gate is crazy. Did I mention we live in Vermont?

Have talked her into doing a 3-day back driveway test-camp in the spring, followed by another 3 or 4 day trip about 100 miles away or so to break everything in and work out some kinks before we journey out.

I'd like to get a few more nights under our belt before taking off on a long trip, but I suspect I'll be outvoted 1-1. Any suggestions on what we should work out before taking off on our long journey? And given our newbie-ness, how many miles a day should we budget for on the trip?
Vermont_Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2020, 09:33 AM   #2

Thumbs up Thumbs up to your wife!

I'm al jump right in kind of person while DH takes a while to get there. Who knew such a plodder/planner like me would be that way?

I wish I'd pushed DH into taking longer trips sooner, we spent the first two years camping within 150 miles of home with one trip to Georgia. Not knowing your ages, you might have plenty of time to take your time.

I'm interested to see what the TT folks will suggest. But see how you feel after a 100 mile drive and take it from there. Many on here recommend winging it (that is where my plodder/planner kicks in - only so much winging it can I deal with on a trip) and start looking for a campground before you get tired and getting set up before dark.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:38 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like you are doing the best you can to limit the risk. I'd take it to a truck and trailer mechanic to check the brakes, bearings and axles. I'd also want to know the age of the tires and replace any that are too old. Tires on trailers can age rather than wear out. Make sure your tow vehicle is in tip top condition to pull the load. Have a mechanic check that too.

We can cover 500 miles but we get burned out doing more than 300. Often many things need taking care of and don't forget the groceries that suddenly need buying. This may grow to take up half the day. If short on time try 300. We also like pick fun stops and spend 2 days there to make it fun instead of a drag.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:00 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
About 19 years ago we spent our first ever night in an RV. That was the first day of our round trip to the Oregon coast. It worked out fine but there has been a lot of learning. There is still a of of learning with each trip we take. We have over 200,000 miles of motor-homing so far..
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermont_Darren View Post
We bought our first TT last month (22-ft Dutchmen Sport in perfect shape) and are remodeling it over the winter.

Wife is adamant she wants to see Sedona, AZ next May. I know taking a long trip right out of the gate is crazy. Did I mention we live in Vermont?

Have talked her into doing a 3-day back driveway test-camp in the spring, followed by another 3 or 4 day trip about 100 miles away or so to break everything in and work out some kinks before we journey out.

I'd like to get a few more nights under our belt before taking off on a long trip, but I suspect I'll be outvoted 1-1. Any suggestions on what we should work out before taking off on our long journey? And given our newbie-ness, how many miles a day should we budget for on the trip?
We are only in our 2nd year of RV'ing. We bought a 24' Class C in early 2019 and went from Arizona back home to Ohio a few months later. As we were new to all this, I fretted over every detail but in the end the trip went great. We soon realized however that the Class C was too small for longish trips like that and upgraded to our current TT. We did the same trip back home this last summer with the TT. Despite a trailer breakdown (axle issues) we had another great trip back.

Some observations:

*We routed the trip ahead of time using RV Trip Wizard. This allows you to choose campgrounds, plot fuel stops etc.

*Use two separate GPS. We used Co Pilot GPS running on an IPad plus Waze. Sometimes even fired up Google Maps for satellite views. GPS is not perfect. Using two gives you the ability to investigate further when you get a discrepancy in directions.

*Gassing up can be a challenge. Our trailer is 33' and our truck is a gasser, so that eliminates the option of using the diesel truck lanes. I would download the Pilot and Love's apps. You can filter to stations that include an RV lane, which will give you a straight in/out shot. Some stations are pretty roomy, but others can be a pain in the a** to maneuver in. This is another good use of Google Maps. You can bring up the satellite view of the gas station to see how it's laid out.

*Make checklists! At the very least one for hitching up and one for unhitching. You can also make one up for the inside stuff...'close all cupboards', 'make sure slideout areas are clear'...etc. It will soon becomes almost second nature, but I still refer to the checklists each time. Also test your trailer brakes each time you start rolling out of your site in the morning.

As far as driving distance. We traveled 300-375 miles a day. Usually no more than 6.5 hours.

Enjoy!
Old 12-04-2020, 01:59 PM   #6

plot out your route to Sedona and get the total mileage. then divide that number by 50 (50mph is your average speed including gas, eating and rest stops). the resulting number is your total hours of actual driving.
rk911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:23 PM   #7

We like to travel 200 miles. Makes for an easy day. Trailer tires and bearings are good advice. I always start a long trip with a fresh oil change.
allenb12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:43 PM   #8

I wouldn't sweat it one bit. 2.5 yrs ago, I bought my first pickup truck ever, a F450 dually. Then I bought a fifth wheel. I took some lessons from RVschool.com and then I took my family on a 7k mi western US and western Canada tour for the summer. We had no issues essentially and we had a GREAT time. The risks of travelling 500 or 5000 mi are the same. You might as well enjoy the experience!
TheLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:16 PM   #9

Plan on no more than 300 miles a day - 6 hr. Pull in early afternoon and you'll have time to check out the area, relax and a leisurely dinner.

Sedona can get hot in May. Are you a hiker? If so, take more water on hikes than you think you need. You can get dehydrated fast in the West. Sedona is very congested nowadays. We liked to stay in nearby Cottonwood at Dead Horse Ranch State Park and do day trips into Sedona.

Remember you're very close to the Grand Canyon. Stay at Trailer Village in the park itself for the best experience.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:40 AM   #10

Rancho Sedona is a very nice park right in Sedona. You will need reservations far in advance for May. I agree with the go for it crowd.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 05:17 PM   #11

We stay at Rancho Sedona.
allenb12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 05:38 PM   #12

when in that area we usually stay at Distant Drums in Camp Verde but i'd like to rry Dead Horse Ranch next time.
rk911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:54 PM   #13

I should add that the one mistake I made on our first long trip was I had too many one night stays at campsites. It's a hassle setting up and breaking everything down, so I now drive no more than about 5 hrs a day, and then take at least 2 days to rest up. I'm not in a hurry and it's way more relaxing at an easier pace.
TheLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 11:05 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What vehicle are you towing the trailer with?

How long do you plan to be gone?

You will average 50mph at best.

On long trips we spend $100 a day that includes everything. Gas,RV parks, food, tours, laundry, etc.

The problem this next year is that RV parks are going to be full because everybody and his brother have bought RV's.

It will be like Vermont in the fall with leaf peepers.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote