Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #1

First Time Renters - Ontario, no Toad, suggestions?

The family and I are considering purchasing a class C, but before we do so this winter we have decided to rent one to help us define our needs.

We have been to many parks camping, but have always had access to a vehicle. Sadly, we can not bring a toad with the rental.

We have a unit booked for Canadian Thanksgiving and are hoping to get a suggestion or two of places to consider <5 hours from Toronto. Suggestions? Ideally a park with many outdoor recreational activities available.

We can bring bikes, so we are not completely immobile.

It will also be our first time in a 31ft'r so other suggestions are welcome.
fon10als is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2013, 03:51 PM   #2

Before you commit to buying a class c rent a class a so you can find our which one suites your needs better. There are advantages and disadvantages to borh classes. Personally I like the the class a better because of the large front windows it allows you to see more of the scenery and I like the ample headroom (as im 6'4" and dont usually have that luxury) in the class a.

As for driving just remember that they are much heavier than your daily driver (usually) and will take longer to get up to speed, longer to stop, and more room to turn. One other important thing to keep in mind is the height of the rv when you drive under things (I.e bridges they like to eat ac units, power wires, and tree branches in the various campgrounds). Thats all I have to offer im sure more will be able to help you out a lot more. Remember to have fun no matter where you end up and keep us updated.
Brian313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely take it slow.

At first I was looking at an A class, but we have gone to a C Because of the overcab bunk. We have an 8 year old daughter who goes to bed way earlier then us. Having the seating/ dining area available after she goes to sleep is important.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:18 AM   #4

As for destination, especially at that time of year I'd head south a bit.

Two great spots that fit your < 5 hour search area are the Allegheny National Forest in NW Pennsylvania and the Finger Lakes or Adirondack's in Upstate New York.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #5

Those are some great sites. We love Wilmington Notch, but not sure how accessible activities are there without a car. We just returned and it is a little more then the 5 hour mark, but that is with two girls and a dog making alot of bathroom breaks.

Is it normal to drive the MH most places if you don't have a toad?

We may lend a friend our car so they can bring up a canoe and then we will not be as limited for activities.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
I'll make a few suggestions.
  1. If you aren't traveling very far, have someone in your party follow you with your daily driver (I know people who do this on a 1300 mile trip). Not the best, but an option.
  2. If you are staying at your destination for a while, consider renting a car once you get there.
  3. Of course you can always unhook everything and use the Class C to get around during the day and then hookup when you get back. Just be considerate of your fellow campers and cap the sewer connection when you leave to avoid unpleasant odors while you are gone. I've seen this done quite a few times.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Arrowhead Provincial Park is stunning at Thanksgiving. If you are interested in it reserve quickly as it is very popular. Marten River Provincial Park is great if you have no toad because of the quaint full service store just outside the park gate.
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad