Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2018, 08:05 AM   #1

First time RV, Colorado HELP please - Honeymoon

Hello everyone,
I am a bit concerned after having already planned our honeymoon many months ago. Now that I am able to sit down and concentrate on it after the wedding, I am very worried that we may not be able to do Colorado after all.
We are coming from MI and driving to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. From there to Durango for a train and ATV ride. What I have been reading, these areas are not for those new to driving an RV. My husband has experience in large vehicle and hauling stuff behind trucks, but has never driven an RV. He also had tendon surgery 4-5 weeks ago and really should not be "white knuckling" these roads. As for me, the largest vehicle I have driven was a Suburban (18-19') and our rented RV is 24'. We are leaving Michigan Sep 28th and returning October 21st.
I was thinking we could skip these two locations for a later trip where we have a rented car instead, and just head straight to Valley of the Gods from MI, but it's really heart breaking. My husband has NEVER been more west than Indiana lol.
I worry too because of the time of the year, that we could end up with slippery/snow covered roads.
I can always list our entire plans for the trip, but this is of my biggest concern right now. Any suggestions are very appreciated.
NomadicNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2018, 08:29 AM   #2

I wouldn't sweat it too much. 24' is not that big of a vehicle. If you are comfortable driving a Suburban, you'll hardly notice the difference. Do som practice maneuvers in a local parking lot, but I wouldn't cancel my plans .
A 24'er isn't really going to be pushed around by semis too much, and you can fit into most parking spaces. Go to Colorado, enjoy the scenery!
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob View Post
I wouldn't sweat it too much. 24' is not that big of a vehicle. If you are comfortable driving a Suburban, you'll hardly notice the difference. Do som practice maneuvers in a local parking lot, but I wouldn't cancel my plans .
A 24'er isn't really going to be pushed around by semis too much, and you can fit into most parking spaces. Go to Colorado, enjoy the scenery!
Thank you for your reply!!! 24' isn't that big, but I drive a Bonnieville & have not driven the Suburban in 7 years. What I worry is that it is rented, and the terrain will put the RV through hell. We wouldn't necessarily cancel plans, but move to the next place. As you will see below, we don't have a whole lot of time as is.

Our plans:
Sep 28th - Make it halfway through IL after work
Sep 29th - NE
Sep 30th or Oct 1st - Colorado
Oct 1-3 - Black Canyon of the Gunnison
Oct 3-5 - Durango
Oct 5-7 - Valley of the Gods
Oct 8-9 - Valley of Fire
Oct 9-12 - Death Valley
Oct 13 - Vegas/Hoover Dam area
Oct 13-15 - Grand Canyon
Oct 15 - Meteor Crater
Oct 15-16 - Petrified Forest
Oct 17 - Start making way back home - home no later than Oct 21st AM
Old 08-28-2018, 09:09 AM   #4

First off, congratulations on your wedding! The honeymoon sounds terrific as planned.

Of your listed concerns, the weather is the only item that you should frequently monitor. Plenty of phone apps to do this, so there shouldn’t be a problem. You are from MI, so you know your limitations on the road with regard to weather.

Driving from MI toward CO will give you plenty of time to gain confidence in your rental. You won’t be a newbie by the time you meet up with the mountains. Just take it slow and enjoy the scenery...and each other.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:11 AM   #5

If the roads get too challenging, put on the 4-way/hazard flashers and slow down a little. You won't be the only one doing it.
Sounds like a great trip, enjoy the views and take your time.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:14 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:08 AM   #7

Being from Michigan, you will definitely get the roughest roads out of the way in the beginning of the trip! In the last few years, EVERY trip to Michigan has cost me a set of tires! This summer I had to replace all of the tires on the 38' travel trailer and the 2 rear tires of my tow vehicle. At one point on the interstate my wife woke up in a panic as she thought we'd been in an accident after going over one particularly large pothole. Admittedly, it did feel like we had hit something big!
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
First off, congratulations on your wedding! The honeymoon sounds terrific as planned.

Of your listed concerns, the weather is the only item that you should frequently monitor. Plenty of phone apps to do this, so there shouldn’t be a problem. You are from MI, so you know your limitations on the road with regard to weather.

Driving from MI toward CO will give you plenty of time to gain confidence in your rental. You won’t be a newbie by the time you meet up with the mountains. Just take it slow and enjoy the scenery...and each other.
Thank you
I do worry about the weather considering we will be driving through in October.
The biggest worry I have is that there are very steep and tight areas, which there wont be many on our route for me to get used to. The RV we are renting is a 2013 Coachmen Freelander which I'm sure is very heavy. With that, from what I've been reading many suggest newbies like us to avoid it, considering the amount of white knuckling the sharp turns, steep falls and steep climbs - the proper driving necessary to not burn up the breaks or anything else. I know from driving in Corbin KY in my car it can put a bit of strain on the vehicle, and it's nothing like this area of CO and it's a car vs RV lol.
Everything in our list is a tight squeeze, so I could always remove Durango since we would have to take the Million Dollar Highway and just do the Gunnison and go straight to Valley of the Gods.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob View Post
Being from Michigan, you will definitely get the roughest roads out of the way in the beginning of the trip! In the last few years, EVERY trip to Michigan has cost me a set of tires! This summer I had to replace all of the tires on the 38' travel trailer and the 2 rear tires of my tow vehicle. At one point on the interstate my wife woke up in a panic as she thought we'd been in an accident after going over one particularly large pothole. Admittedly, it did feel like we had hit something big!
If it was our own RV I wouldn't be as worried, but since it is a rental from a personal person and not an RV center, I get even more worried.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:17 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We just did the round trip from Denver to Black Canyon of the Gunnison in our 31 ft ACE 30.1, pulling a Jeep Cherokee. A lot of the trip is 45 MPH or so when driving an RV. The speeds on those little yellow signs with the squiggles are meant for you. White knucking means you are going to fast. Just drive what is comfortable and use the pull outs when you accumulate a tail. October is getting to the point where you do have to watch the weather. You can catch beautiful weather, or you can be snowed on.

Highway 50 follows the Arkansas River from Pueblo to Salida, and its fairly flat, but curvey as you follow the river. Between Salida and Gunnison you have to deal with Monarch Pass - 11,300. So if there is weather, it will be there. Monarch isn't a bad road, but don't expect to set any speed records. Just keep it in a lower gear going down. We have a tow/haul mode which downshifts when you hit the brakes going down. We ran at 4500+ RMP all the way down, but hardly touched the brakes.

From Gunnison to Black Canyon, you mostly follow the Gunnison River. First 30 miles is along the reservoir and then you duck into a few curves. We got stuck for an hour there while outbound due to an accident - turned out somebody dumped their motorcycle in that section. When we went past, they had cleaned up everything except the bike - which looked like it had flipped multiple times. Guy was probably having a ball until the moment he lost it.

From Black Canyon to Durango you might want to avoid the million dollar highway. Depends how you felt about Monarch. The climb out of Ouray is a bit steep, but is a gorgeous drive. If you survived Monarch, you can manage the million dollar highway. If you want to avoid the million dollar highway, you turn on highway 62 at Ridgeway and go around most of the San Juans to Cortez and come into Durango from the west. You still have some mountains though.

Attached is just a taste of the Black Canyon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5076.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	478.9 KB
ID:	216716  
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:36 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
The road between the Black Canyon of the Gunnison and Durango (550) is fairly challenging for most experienced RVers and Snow on the passes between Ouray and Silverton and Durango in October is also pretty likely.

https://www.dangerousroads.org/north...olas-pass.html

Another consideration is that many of the businesses and campgrounds, even forest service campgrounds, close around the 1st of October or earlier. For the past 9 years we've spent part of the Fall in Durango. And we'll be there the first week of October this year as well. Our favorite forest service campgrounds are all closing on Sept 23rd this year. So, we're staying at a private campground this year. Something we almost never do.

We've driven from Durango to Silverton and Ouray a number of times over the years and have been in snow squalls a few times on the passes... in the Summer.

It is a BEAUTIFUL drive. Absolutely gorgeous. They don't call it the Little Switzerland of America for nothing. Can you handle it? Sure. Why not? Should you be wary? Yes, I would be.

I don't want to scare you or stop you from doing your "dream trip." Just want to add a little bit of real world experience to the other voices.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:17 PM   #12

I can't comment on those specific roads or seasonal conditions, as I have not been to Durango in many years, though I have driven through Wyoming, northern Colorado, and Montana the last few years including doing Yellowstone in my 28 ft motorhome last summer. I would say to go for it, though with caution, and perhaps doing some side trips in rental cars. If you are renting the RV at home and driving it to Colorado, you will have a good feel for it by the time you get to the mountains.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:49 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
First congrats on the wedding.
Your plan should work. As others have mentioned weather may be your biggest problem.
I would avoid the million dollar highway between siverton and Uray. Even from Durango to Silverton can be a challenge, especially for a new RV driver.
Good luck and enjoy the adventure.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
First congrats on the wedding.
Your plan should work. As others have mentioned weather may be your biggest problem.
I would avoid the million dollar highway between siverton and Uray. Even from Durango to Silverton can be a challenge, especially for a new RV driver.
Good luck and enjoy the adventure.
I second this. Drive to Durango, then take the train to Silverton, let the bus bring you back. It's a great train ride, and I was very happy not to have to drive that road back, especially if there is a chance of snow.
partskenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado