Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #1

First trip in my coach

I had mentioned in an earlier post that I had to go from Chicago to Fresno for a wedding, but wasn't sure how I would go. Left two weeks ago, the wedding was last week, and I'm still on the road. It's been fabulous. I've put about 2900 miles on the odometer. For the record, I am not towing anything this trip, too much to learn. Details:

Left Illinois 2 pm Sunday 10/20 on I-80 (naps at night) catching I-76 south in Nebraska and hitting Denver about noon Monday. Drove I-70 thru the tunnels and over Vail Pass all the way to Grand Junction, where I spent my first full night in my coach, with full hook-ups.

Headed out across Utah on I-70 Tuesday morning, all the way to I-15. This stretch of highway is one that every traveler should see. It has to be one of the most spectacular-scenery highway in the US. Took I-15 south just out of Utah into the NW corner of AZ, stopping in the campground in the spectacular Virgin River Gorge.

Into Nevada on Wednesday almost to Vegas, but turned west and took the direct route into California and through Death Valley NP. What a desolate place, but interesting. Continued west and caught US395 north to Bishop and stayed at Brown's Millpond Campground. Won't be stopping there again, the 4AM rooster wake-up call wasn't the way I planned to arise.

Thursday was the big day for me, the road I had planned the first part of my trip around: I went over the Tioga Pass road and down into Yosemite National Park, where I spent the night in a NP campground, North Pines. Yosemite and the colors were fantastic, but there's no water in the falls or in the lake.

Friday was down out of the mountains to Riverland RV Park in Kingsburg, near Fresno, from where I could easily get to the Saturday wedding. Which went very nicely, thank you.

Sunday and Monday were spent with family nearby, but headed south Tuesday for Joshua Tree National Park. Another great place with nice campgrounds, really enjoyed it there.

But Wednesday it was on through Quartzsite to visit friends for a few days in Surprise and Buckeye, respectively, just outside Phoenix.

Left there this afternoon, and am spending tonight on the Mogollon rim in Payson where the campsite I'm in has very good WiFi, so I thought I'd take advantage of it and throw this report on line.

Tomorrow on down to I-40 and starting to work my way eastbound.

I've learned a lot about my rig while on the road, and it's just a great way to go. For those of you who are dreaming of your first trip in your rig, don't hesitate, go for it. It's easier than you might think.

Next report when I get home at the end of the week!
GC Rapidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like your having a great trip.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow - busy trip! Enjoy!

BTW - Yosemite is one of my favs, spring is the time to see the falls when flowing from the winter melt.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #4

That is a awesome post ! Thanks for taking the time to write your post.
Make sure to make another when you get home.

Safe travels always.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Sounds like a blast. What are you traveling in? We are leaving in a month for Southern AZ, Let us hear from you again. Great Post.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote