Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2016, 01:46 PM   #15

The thing to take on your maiden voyage (and several trips later) is a large note pad and pen so you can write down the little things you need. Place it in a handy spot and write it down when you think of it otherwise when you get back it will have will slipped the mind. Later on you'll discover that there are many things you thought you would need that hasn't been used. Good luck on your trip wherever you go.

Bruce & Teresa
2000 Foretravel U320 4010
Cummins ISM 450hp
Allison HD4060R 6 Spd W/Retarder
ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2016, 03:07 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've been camping for years and always start the season with a campground visit that's only 6 miles from home. Coming out of hibernation,sometimes things don't work as well as they did the season before. Always good to be close in case some vital function needs repair. Also, you can choose how to deal with an issue better if going home and getting it repaired later is an option. I agree that driveway camping won't reveal all the potential issues but one could start with that, then do the local campground and then stretch out a little bit. Each outing is an opportunity to learn more and more about your unit😎.
Best of luck to the OP!
Longweekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:59 AM   #17

We ended up going to French Creek State Park, about an hour from home. We are here for 2 nights, and are having fun so far! Making a list of needed items and things we might do differently! Off to do some fishing and shooting today.
Jagtec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:07 PM   #18

Lots of excellent advice as to staying close to home. If you're planning to go in March you may be limited to available campgrounds as many don't open til April, but some do have a few all season lots available. Good luck and have fun.
silverado07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagtec1 View Post
We ended up going to French Creek State Park, about an hour from home. We are here for 2 nights, and are having fun so far! Making a list of needed items and things we might do differently! Off to do some fishing and shooting today.
Shooting? Cool! That would be the State Game Lands at French Creek. Does anyone shoot pistol there, or is it all rifle? I'm just down the road in Lancaster. Ages ago - like 25+ years ago - we did some camping at Warwick Woods Campground, not far from the range.

Roger
Old 03-09-2016, 06:35 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
Shooting? Cool! That would be the State Game Lands at French Creek. Does anyone shoot pistol there, or is it all rifle? I'm just down the road in Lancaster. Ages ago - like 25+ years ago - we did some camping at Warwick Woods Campground, not far from the range.

Roger
When we showed up to the range at around 1230, it was much more crowded than I would have expected. There were about 10 people shooting. I did see one guy shooting a pistol, but I believe the rules state is it rifle only. A ranger pulled in and was there for about 5 minutes and didn't say anything to the guy though.

We opted not to shoot with so many people there. It was my 12 year old daughter's first time at any range, so I wanted it to be quieter. We returned at 415, and we were the only people there. She shot about 40 rounds from our .22 and loves it. She wants to go back today! 3 round max load is the rule there though.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:30 AM   #21

Quote:
When we showed up to the range at around 1230, it was much more crowded than I would have expected. There were about 10 people shooting. I did see one guy shooting a pistol, but I believe the rules state is it rifle only. A ranger pulled in and was there for about 5 minutes and didn't say anything to the guy though.

We opted not to shoot with so many people there. It was my 12 year old daughter's first time at any range, so I wanted it to be quieter. We returned at 415, and we were the only people there. She shot about 40 rounds from our .22 and loves it. She wants to go back today! 3 round max load is the rule there though.
Did the guy shooting the pistol have his own target set up? Never been there, but the online info about that range says it's 100 yards - kinda hard to shoot a pistol at that range. FWIW, the state regulations don't quite seem to prohibit pistols, but there's a rule requiring that you shoot at paper targets mounted on *permanent* backboards. That might be subject to some interpretation.

I shoot from time to time at the range in York Co., which also has a separate pistol range. No other pistol ranges in reasonable driving distance, unfortunately.

And I've kinda hijacked your thread. Sorry!
Old 03-10-2016, 05:39 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
Did the guy shooting the pistol have his own target set up? Never been there, but the online info about that range says it's 100 yards - kinda hard to shoot a pistol at that range. FWIW, the state regulations don't quite seem to prohibit pistols, but there's a rule requiring that you shoot at paper targets mounted on *permanent* backboards. That might be subject to some interpretation.

I shoot from time to time at the range in York Co., which also has a separate pistol range. No other pistol ranges in reasonable driving distance, unfortunately.

And I've kinda hijacked your thread. Sorry!
We went back again yesterday, and there were several people shooting pistols at both 50 and 100 yards...at paper targets. Not sure how accurate they were though! I imagine they were just having fun shooting. I'm not sure the one guy was hitting paper anything, even at 50 yards!

I grew up in York County...small world.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:28 AM   #23

Quote:
We went back again yesterday, and there were several people shooting pistols at both 50 and 100 yards...at paper targets. Not sure how accurate they were though! I imagine they were just having fun shooting. I'm not sure the one guy was hitting paper anything, even at 50 yards!

I grew up in York County...small world.
Yup, small world indeed.

Before I retired back in September I worked at York Suburban School District - commuted from Lancaster.

Frankly I can't picture hitting much of anything with a pistol at 50, much less 100 yards! I do my practice mostly at 10-20 yards, kinda figuring that if I ever need to use it, it will be at fairly short range.

Hope you got to shoot!

Roger