Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2008, 03:00 PM   #1

Just came back from my shake down cruise in my new MH. We choose Fisheating Creek because it is a short 2 hour drive from Ft. Laud. and it had spots available. That is rare in FL. this time of year. When I got there I found it was just the way it was 20 years ago. At one time this place was a favorite among South Florida families but it was closed by the Lykes Brothers and only recently reopened. You can look it up on line under www.fisheatingcreekresort.com but even though it is managed by the State it is not listed as a State park. Maybe that is why the Snowbirds haven't discovered it yet. I would not call this a resort as the roads are all gravel or dirt and the tennis court and shuffleboard lanes have all fallen into disrepair. There is a large meeting room for rallies but none of this stuff was why we drove up US 27. For $20 a night for full hook ups you can camp with a campfire in south Florida and imagine the way the indians lived in it. I can not describe the beauty of this Florida wilderness. You can hike through Cypress forests and see hundreds of cypress knees mixed with oaks and sabal palms just as God planted them. This place is not for everyone. To best enjoy the campground you should rent a canoe and paddle up and down stream to see the birds and wildlife. While the RV sites were level and very spacious on grass or gravel the best sites were reserved for the tenters who had private sites right on the river or deep in the woods. You can pick oranges from the wild trees in the primative area. The camp office and store has the bare minimum of stuff so bring everything you need because the closest grocery is 20 miles away. Road noise from US 27 stops at night and the dark skies are excellent for star gazing. The campground allows dogs under 40 pounds but even that is not enforced as my neighbor had a Brazilian mastive (120 lbs.)that thankfully was very friendly. One half mile away is the Robins Nest RV resort that seems to be a favorite of 5th wheelers but it is just an open field. The weather is perfect this time of year but I would never try this place from May - November. Every Fl. resident owes it to themselves to see this place just to see how beautiful Fl. was once.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2008, 03:00 PM   #2

Just came back from my shake down cruise in my new MH. We choose Fisheating Creek because it is a short 2 hour drive from Ft. Laud. and it had spots available. That is rare in FL. this time of year. When I got there I found it was just the way it was 20 years ago. At one time this place was a favorite among South Florida families but it was closed by the Lykes Brothers and only recently reopened. You can look it up on line under www.fisheatingcreekresort.com but even though it is managed by the State it is not listed as a State park. Maybe that is why the Snowbirds haven't discovered it yet. I would not call this a resort as the roads are all gravel or dirt and the tennis court and shuffleboard lanes have all fallen into disrepair. There is a large meeting room for rallies but none of this stuff was why we drove up US 27. For $20 a night for full hook ups you can camp with a campfire in south Florida and imagine the way the indians lived in it. I can not describe the beauty of this Florida wilderness. You can hike through Cypress forests and see hundreds of cypress knees mixed with oaks and sabal palms just as God planted them. This place is not for everyone. To best enjoy the campground you should rent a canoe and paddle up and down stream to see the birds and wildlife. While the RV sites were level and very spacious on grass or gravel the best sites were reserved for the tenters who had private sites right on the river or deep in the woods. You can pick oranges from the wild trees in the primative area. The camp office and store has the bare minimum of stuff so bring everything you need because the closest grocery is 20 miles away. Road noise from US 27 stops at night and the dark skies are excellent for star gazing. The campground allows dogs under 40 pounds but even that is not enforced as my neighbor had a Brazilian mastive (120 lbs.)that thankfully was very friendly. One half mile away is the Robins Nest RV resort that seems to be a favorite of 5th wheelers but it is just an open field. The weather is perfect this time of year but I would never try this place from May - November. Every Fl. resident owes it to themselves to see this place just to see how beautiful Fl. was once.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:00 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
D,
Very nice review and discription of the campground and area. Thanks.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:53 AM   #4

This campground did not just recently re-open. I go twice a year for about the last four years. We always canoe there. They recently started up a shuttle service so you can rent there & get a ride up river too. I stay here usually Spring or Fall, because of the heat; but that's what a/c is for.
The state does own this park now; but you still must make reservations yourself by calling them, no on line reservations either.
Jo
Jody & Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #5

Jo & D

Nice comments about FEC. My parents who lived in Miami started going to FEC (Palmdale)during the 60's with a small 14 ft camper. They used to camp east of the bridge on the North side about a mile inward. I went with them several times. When it rained it was a mess to get in. During the early 70's Mom & Dad bought a place one block north of the post office on the corner of 27N and retired there. We used to go there a lot visiting my parents. Since my dad was legally blind, I got them to move to Tallahassee where I could watch them. The wife and I went by there last year and was supprised how much the "town" had gone away. The "new" campground is where we used to swim on the west side of the bridge. I have fond memories of that place. They use to let any one with a 67 tag pick all the vegs they wanted on the big commercial fields. Use to bring back bags of fruit and vegs to all my friends when we live in Georgia. Lykes Bros ownes about 99.2% of the entire county. They do not like outsiders on their land. The state had a time getting the river open to the public. s/Toby