RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2020, 08:03 AM   #1

FL research

Approaching retirement and have been planning to get a travel trailer in a park in FL for either 6+6 snowbirding or year around. I am turning 62 next month, working full time from and have been told this can be permanent if I want.

I have family in various parts of FL and have spent plenty of time down there, so I know positive and negative things about the choice and positive wins for me.

Looking hardest at Space Coast and Treasure Coast. Tampa area also a possibility. That latitude suits me, but I could go a little further north for the right park.

Prefer a park that is somewhat social and on or very near water (not the beach; inshore or inland). I fish a *lot*. I want to be near the beach; an hour away tops but prefer closer. I would like to stay around $500 a month, which I know is on the low side near the beach in nice parks and I am likely to edge that up, but trying to stay around there.

So, recommendations appreciated. Thanks!
ReachDaBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2020, 08:25 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome !!
There are many good folks here to offer help and advice, glad you could join the party
Safe Travels!!
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:30 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

First I would like to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving.

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement. There is a wealth of RV info available to you here just by asking. Browse the forums that interest you and don't be afraid to ask questions as our members like to help when they can.

Post often and share your RV adventures with us. Enjoy the forums.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:33 AM   #4
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Welcome to the forum. We are transplants from Northern Calif. Escaped 7 years ago. Tried traveling in the Summers but health and covid made that impossible this year.

No way I want to spend another Summer here in Central Fl. Maybe on the coast where there might be a breeze but it was terrible this year.

A big concern these days is health coverage. When we got here we had great coverage but it was expensive. That went away as most know and we had to get the other insurance which was not great, and expensive.

I have had Medicare/Humana for several years now and it is really decent and allows me to travel out of area. My wife has the other/expensive and it covers better than nothing but we have to buy the most expensive plan for her.

So choose wisely. And do not work a day longer than you need to. You could get hit by lightening or a truck. Enjoy every day.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:44 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachDaBeach View Post
Approaching retirement and have been planning to get a travel trailer in a park in FL for either 6+6 snowbirding or year around. I am turning 62 next month, working full time from and have been told this can be permanent if I want.

Looking hardest at Space Coast and Treasure Coast. Tampa area also a possibility. That latitude suits me, but I could go a little further north for the right park.
Check out "The Great Outdoors RV Park and Golf Course" in Titusville FL. I have not used this park myself, but I hear it is really nice. I don't live far from there so I know the area is pretty nice. Not far from the beach and lots run about $560/week (in season). There are private lots for sale there too.

https://www.tgoresort.com/rentals/

https://www.tgoresort.com/about/map.asp
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 10:11 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The Space Coast is a good location to search. We settled in Titusville area and we like it a lot.The weather is nice, the water is close ,and the park we are in is very friendly. We are in Willow Lakes Rv Resort in Mims. I believe it runs more than $500/per in winter. We bought a lot and are here 6-7-months. There are other parks around and I have heard some people say they pay less than $500/mo. There are several parks around here that might fit your needs.

I do think the east coast of Florida is slower with less traffic.If you go much farther south in Latitude it will cost more for sure.

2009 Beaver Contessa
2018 Ford Flex
Dakrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:50 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Check out "The Great Outdoors RV Park and Golf Course" in Titusville FL. I have not used this park myself, but I hear it is really nice. I don't live far from there so I know the area is pretty nice. Not far from the beach and lots run about $560/week (in season). There are private lots for sale there too.

TGO for sure - but I'm partial as we have a home here. We just travel during the summer most of the time. But since it is near the coast we get a good breeze all year, but it's Florida - it's hot in the summer.

Whether 6-6 or full time you can find rentals or buy something (from a concrete pad to a 3000+ sq foot home.

Or.... Willow Lakes or one or 2 campground (KOA & another) in Mims.

Or maybe Melbourne is more to your liking.

All close to fishing, rockets, ocean beaches and all without having to live on the beach and close to major areas (Orlando, Daytona, Vero Beach, Disney - yuk).
Old 11-26-2020, 05:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post

He's looking for $500/month; not per week. Also, are travel trailer allowed?
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 05:32 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Agree TGO has a lot of different types of lots/units. Have not stayed there in years or the summer (mosquitos) but the airboat noise early in the morning turned me off.
For 6+ months buying may make sense and for $80-90K you can buy a lot in many RV parks in Fla...check how much the HOA fees are.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakrism View Post
The Space Coast is a good location to search. We settled in Titusville area and we like it a lot.The weather is nice, the water is close ,and the park we are in is very friendly. We are in Willow Lakes Rv Resort in Mims. I believe it runs more than $500/per in winter. We bought a lot and are here 6-7-months. There are other parks around and I have heard some people say they pay less than $500/mo. There are several parks around here that might fit your needs.

I do think the east coast of Florida is slower with less traffic.If you go much farther south in Latitude it will cost more for sure.
Buying is something I had not really thought about. Yeah, $500 is low for a place that has much. I have found places at or below that price that either have nothing but an office and hook ups (like Breezy Palms in Palm Bay - $465) or that are inland a bit.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:29 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Many leave northern high tax states and become FL residents (no income tax...NC not as bad) saving $ thousands. Many of the homes in TGO (and other parks) are those folks that go back north in the summer in their MHs.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Many leave northern high tax states and become FL residents (no income tax...NC not as bad) saving $ thousands. Many of the homes in TGO (and other parks) are those folks that go back north in the summer in their MHs.
A little further down the road I may switch residency. While employed, assuming I am able to stay with my same employer (been with them over 25 years, but that doesn't mean what it used to) until retirement (~3 years), it will cause a headache if I am not an NC resident. My wife refers to the plan as a fishing cabin for me and we will continue to have an NC residence. Without going into a lot of personal detail, we are likely to be physically separated in retirement even if not legally. Life is complicated...
Old 11-27-2020, 11:27 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
He's looking for $500/month; not per week. Also, are travel trailer allowed?
$500/month - I think that rules TGO out. Nothing there for $500 a month except in the summer - maybe. HOA fees are just under $200/month (includes all amenities, water, sewer, yard mowing watering and care, daily garbage collection, internet, cable TV, ). Travel trailers are OK. I think RVs have to be 18 feet minimum length.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
$500/month - I think that rules TGO out. Nothing there for $500 a month except in the summer - maybe. HOA fees are just under $200/month (includes all amenities, water, sewer, yard mowing watering and care, daily garbage collection, internet, cable TV, ). Travel trailers are OK. I think RVs have to be 18 feet minimum length.
I realize I will likely have to increase it, though I have found places at or below due to long commitment (okay with), little or nothing in the way of amenities and/or not near the beach or major attractions. The right mix of those shortcomings I am okay with. I would like something of a community feel, which almost implies some level of amenities like a pool and/or clubhouse where people mingle. I don't care so much about additional amenities or fancy landscaping. Resort level properties are nice, but not what I am interested in.