Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #1

Flaming Gorge Reservoir Utah

Hello fellow travelers -

We are planing an extended trip to the west (ish). Our two main stops will be at Grand Teton NP and the Grand Canyon, but since we will have 5 weeks at our disposal I have been looking into other areas to explore. I am currently looking at Flaming Gorge Res. Anyone have any experience or input for me? I would also welcome any places in the general area we should possibly explore.

Thanks!

Melissa
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2014, 01:00 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Not going up into Yellowstone? The Tetons have lots to see. The hike to Hidden Falls and Inspiration Point is popular and not too hard. You can cheat with a trip on the Jenny Lake boat. Lunch at Dornan's in Moose has the best view of any eatery in the world. If you ride east on Antelope Flats Rd. you're sure to encounter a bison herd. Also, if you continue on to Gros Ventre Slide you'll pass a hot springs in which all the locals swim. A raft trip on the Snake is fun, either 'float' trip where you just relax and watch the scenery and wildlife or downriver on the rapids south of Hoback with an outfitter in Jackson. I've done both, my daughter (now almost 30) celebrated her 12th birthday on a whitewater trip on the Snake.

I've been to Flaming Gorge, it's a beautiful place. Tour the dam if you can. I've been there twice, one time was soon after a fire that had blackened much of the area SE of the lake, but it was still nice. Also don't miss Dinosaur National Monument, it has interesting exhibits and hikes.

I taught summer college science courses in and around Dubois, WY, YNP and the Tetons and spent 20+ years taking teachers in the class all around that area touring, exploring, and teaching. If you have any questions, PM me, I'll be happy to share.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:13 PM   #3

We spent a couple days in the Faming Gorge a few yaeras ago, very scenic and colorful place. Some steep grades as I remember. Several campgrounds to choose from. Worth the effort to visit.
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #4

Between Grand Canyon and Grand Teton are Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Arches, Canyonlands National Parks. In addition, Monument Valley is in the area. Also Yellowstone is right next to Grand Teton.

In my opinion you'd have a better time visiting the above parks rather than Flaming Gorge. It's a nice view but unless you have a boat or are a fisherman, not really much to do. There are a few hiking trails.

Have a good trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:27 PM   #5

Thanks for all of yalls input! Keep it comin'.

We will prob spend some time in Yellowstone, but we aren't a fan of crowds. We will put up with it at the Grand Canyon, but since Grand Teton is as good as YS (so I've heard) we will prob spend more time there.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:33 PM   #6

There is a C.O.E. campground[half price], at the gorge. We stayed 5 days. Took day trips to Dinosaur park, Green river, Bassets homestead. Enjoyed the stay. Lot of pronghorn goats in park.[they are goats, not sheep]. You may not want to stay 5 days, but it is worth the trip for a day or two.
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:50 PM   #7

Information about Y'stone

Whatever time you think that you will need to see Y’stone NP you better double it!

Remember that Y’stone Park itself is about 50 miles E/W and 70 miles N/S (2.2 Mil Acres) and the Grand Loop (figure 8) road is about 140 miles around. With a 45mph speed limit (radar controlled), the thermal attractions, the Bison think that they own the road and will sometimes back up traffic for 1/4 mile or more and the altitude (Canyon Area is 7918 ft, Old Faithful is 7365 ft and Mammoth Area is ONLY 6239 ft) it will take a full day for each loop. When walking take it easy, carry/drink lots of water as it can be very exhausting, then you will only see the highlights. If your luck is like mine I guarantee that Old Faithful will have gone off just minutes before you arrived and will have to wait about another hour and 10-15 minutes for it to go off again kill time by walking around the upper geyser basin. When you are at Old faithful be sure to go into the Old Faithful Inn and look up when inside. When in the visitor center, Inn, Snowlodge etc they will have a sign displaying approximately when the next eruption will occur (+ or – about 10/15 minutes)

We have lived about 110 miles from the West Y’stone entrance for 50 years and go there a couple of times each summer and I still haven’t seen everything yet.

Wen in Jackson be sure to see the Bar J Chuckwagon Dinner Show! It will be the best $ value on your trip! We see them 3-4 times every summer.

Bar J Chuckwagon

Reservations STRONGLY recommended.

Disdclaimer-I have no financial or other business interest in the Bar J.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:13 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom3205 View Post
There is a C.O.E. campground[half price], at the gorge. We stayed 5 days. Took day trips to Dinosaur park, Green river, Bassets homestead. Enjoyed the stay. Lot of pronghorn goats in park.[they are goats, not sheep]. You may not want to stay 5 days, but it is worth the trip for a day or two.
I think you're confused. Pronghorn ANTELOPES are in the area, no relation to goats, not true antelopes either, but are unique. They are ruminant animals, like cattle, goats, sheep, deer, and antelope in that they chew grass. Big horn sheep are also present, they are sheep. I don't think they have Mountain goats, found in the Colorado Rockies and Glacier NP, they were even introduced to Mt. Rushmore.

Don't be afraid of crowds in Yellowstone, I've been there countless times and crowds aren't an issue except close to the main attractions. YNP's visitors seldom get out of sight of their autos. A few yards down any trail and you are in the wilderness for which YNP has always been famous. Road speed limit is max 45 mph and if you get caught in a BHM jam (Big Hairy Mammal) you to will whip out your cameras and take pictures.

At Old Faithful, thousands sit on the benches near the famous geyser. If you hike about 800 yards up to the overlook that towers above the geyser basin I've often been one of 5 or fewer visitors to see the eruption from above. There are lots of places like that in YNP.

Pronghorns are said to be the second fastest land animal after the cheetah, but pronghorns can actually run faster for longer distances and deserve the #1 spot. I've seen them run full speed under an 18" gap at the bottom of a wire fence!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:44 PM   #9

Pronghorn

Pronghorn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have been to Flaming Gorge a few times (a friend has a home in Manila) and it is beautiful. It is quite a bit different than the other places you are planning to visit. Renting a boat would be a nice experience, as you would actually get to see the lake....and possibly catch a nice fish. There are lots of roads to explore.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderinTXun View Post
Thanks for all of yalls input! Keep it comin'.

We will prob spend some time in Yellowstone, but we aren't a fan of crowds. We will put up with it at the Grand Canyon, but since Grand Teton is as good as YS (so I've heard) we will prob spend more time there.
Grand Teton is not as good as Yellowstone. They are both completely different in looks and natural features. I would highly recommend that if you visit the Tetons that you include Yellowstone, also. Start you driving very early in the morning so there are less crowds. Pack a lunch and you can find a quiet place to enjoy it. Take a hike and you'll escape the crowds. It will be worth it to you!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:05 PM   #11

OK, I'm convinced. We will be heading up to YS for at least a couple of days! *starting to redo agenda for our trip*
Old 07-22-2014, 10:08 PM   #12

Flaming gorge on the Wyoming end is actually my favorite, much more on the Utah end...

We just left a few days ago... and we miss it already.

Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:44 AM   #13

From Flaming Gorge you right next to one of the most beautiful areas in that
region which is the Uuinta wasatch cache National Forest. There is 100s and 100s of lakes in that forest area. There is rv camp grounds in the us forest
area. Mirror lake is one of our favorite spots to go camp at 10,000 ft elevation. The pass is now open for the summer from Evanston, WY to
Kamas, UT (Highway 150).

From there weave thur Kamas, and Heber City which has nice RV camping. Then head south to Capital Reef, Bryce Caynon, Zions NPS and Moab UT.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:48 AM   #14

Mirror Lake