Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2012, 12:12 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have pets watch out for the Alligators.

They WILL eat dogs.

And that's no kidding.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTotem View Post
Welcome Mike,
You are sure to get many suggestions here. I know there is an RV park in Bradenton near Annamaria Island. You can check Woodalls and/or Trailer Life for general planning and follow that with a check of campgroundreviews.com for ratings for your top choices.

Best advice is to reserve many months in advance once you have a park selected.

Enjoy Florida when you get here.
Thank's, I'm definitely interested in all advice especially those who have been to a specific ground's.
Good and bad experience's.
Mike
04 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
If you have pets watch out for the Alligators.

They WILL eat dogs.

And that's no kidding.

I beleive ya, our yorkie would ony be an appetiser lol
Now help me out here, when we were in Siesta Key, we signed up for a group kayak tour, everything was fine until my wife thought what if we run into an alligator.
We're not knowledgable as to them so I too became concerned so in the morning we called the rental and expressed our concern, the guy was really nice but had a hard time containing himself.
Even with his assurance we canceled.
He said no creature's on the gulf water's.
Is there OR isn't there????
Mike
04 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well the alligator is normally a fresh water critter found in lakes and rivers. Is it possible for one to occasionally wander into the boundary waters where the rivers meet the gulf? I suppose, but I kayak a good bit and have yet to see one in that area. Give them a wide birth and they will do the same. Like any animal they are a bit unpredictable during mating season and when young are hatching.

As mentioned they will go for small pets if available near the waters edge in early morning and evening.

Our favorite park on the water is Ft Desoto in St Pete area. It is a county park and spaces are booked well in advance. For a stay of a month or more you would be better off in a commercial park since most state and county parks usually limit you to 2 weeks. If you don't mind relocating the state and county parks usually are more wooded and have more room.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:38 AM   #19

Try googleing San Carlos RV park, Ft Myers Beach. You can't be MORE on the water, right on Hurricane Bay, the pics will show you the view. We leave our trailer there all summer, best kept secret in Fl.
wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:10 AM   #20

The gulf waters of the keys still have crocodiles,they are seen more often on the lower west coast but they are good swimmers.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by greezykid View Post
The gulf waters of the keys still have crocodiles,they are seen more often on the lower west coast but they are good swimmers.
Yep. Called Salt Water Crocks. Gator and Crock attacks on humans are very rare. I live among em' in my area and have no problems long as we avoid stepping on them. Normal awareness and caution is all it takes to enjoy time among these creatures.
SteveCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #22

There is a good reason why so many rv'rs come south. There is something for everyone. I don't know what your budget is but the best first experience you can have is at Disney's Fort Wilderness but it will cost you. If you want some time to just to experience your life in your new RV I suggest Topsail State Campground in Dunedin. Most State Parks will have full 50 Amp service and that will be necessary for your A/C's.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #23

the panhandle area is also very nice, fewer activities, small places to eat, great seafood, State parks and some fed locations all great-St Andrews @ Panama City Beach and Ft Pickens or Big Lagoon at Pensacola. Oysters, oysters, oysters in Apalachicola
tooltrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #24

If you're in the panhandle, try Topsail Hill State Park, Henderson Beach State park and one of my favorites "Destin Luxury Rv resort". Can't be the area for food and activities. About 35 miles west of Panama City.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:18 AM   #25

Geezz.... People ask a question, everyone tries to help and they never respond... I guess the OP changed his mind???
Old 04-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #26

The OP would be on their 3rd week of travels in Florida. I wonder what they are doing, or did...
If they disappeared, maybe they checked into the Cassadaga Hotel and never checked out.
Magic Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:54 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Bus View Post
The OP would be on their 3rd week of travels in Florida. I wonder what they are doing, or did...
If they disappeared, maybe they checked into the Cassadaga Hotel and never checked out.
I lived a few miles from Cassadaga and went there a few times. Some pretty talented people there. It would be spooky staying in that hotel.

Tags
florida