Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2021, 06:39 AM   #1

Florida camping

Hello all, we'd like to get out of the cold here in TN and would like to travel to the Tampa FL area for the month of January. We definitely want to be near the Gulf if possible. If you know a good spot that you can share I'd appreciate it . Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2021, 07:31 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasmoeturhead View Post
Hello all, we'd like to get out of the cold here in TN and would like to travel to the Tampa FL area for the month of January. We definitely want to be near the Gulf if possible. If you know a any spot that you can share I'd appreciate it . Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Fixed for ya.

We're pretty full down here, good spots will be almost impossible to find. Are looking for a resort experience or...?

Good luck.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 07:40 AM   #3

I just tried booking online a week in each of Jan, Feb, Mar, and April at an RV Park in Tarpon Springs. They were fully booked up until early April which is typically the end of the Florida snow bird season.

I suspect the only way you are going to find a spot in January is to luck into a cancellation.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 08:21 AM   #4

There are still spaces but you will work to find them. Get on harvest hosts, hipcamp, florida state parks, county parks, and the water management district locations. Since you are former military there are options there too. Plan on spending a few hours on the computer but it is possible. Not going to be any beachfront luxury places but it will be warmer than TN.
MCCOHENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 12:10 PM   #5

Doesn't look good for the home team then.
RVM #104
Old 12-27-2021, 01:51 PM   #6

You need to look at some of the county campgrounds.

I just checked Hart Springs and there were 4 or 5 sites open for the month of January.

Not real close to Tampa but available.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 02:23 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Hello all, we'd like to get out of the cold here in TN and would like to travel to the Tampa FL area for the month of January. We definitely want to be near the Gulf if possible. If you know a good spot that you can share I'd appreciate it . Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Call the Red Coconut and see if they have anything available on their beach side or park side for a 32 footer. Tell them Ted and Nancy sent you. If by any chance they have something available, you couldn't ask for anything better. Not Tampa but you'll be in Fort Myers Beach and on the Gulf.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 02:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Doesn't look good for the home team then.
…..but you could start looking for next year.

Your timing is extremely late, combined with COVID, but I wish you good luck.
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 11:04 PM   #9

Cloverleaf Forest Brooksville, Fl.
50 Minutes north of Tampa
20 Minutes to the gulf.

Tim
Old 12-28-2021, 06:35 AM   #10

Sent you a PM with one I found.
MCCOHENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 06:38 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Quote:
With the Tampa RV Show still scheduled for January, good luck. While in the Orlando Thousand Trails Park we traveled over to Tampa/St. Petersburg area. On the way across I-4 we seen several RV parks that were partially full.
One way to look would be to use RV Trip Wizard and search the area. Then start calling. But this late, good luck with your searches.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 11:22 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Just did my booking for Fort Myers RV Resort a month ago. I was lucky to find it, and only 3 others that had openings(not sure of names). Might check with these guys.....
Old 12-29-2021, 05:03 AM   #13

Thanks
RVM #104
Old 01-04-2022, 06:52 PM   #14
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry
…..but you could start looking for next year.
Yeah, no kidding. The place we're at in Bradenton started accepting reservations for January-March 2023 on the 1st and on the 3rd they were 85% full for 2023, and they are now requiring a three-month minimum stay for the first time. There's only about a hundred spots but really?

Most places allow current customers to reserve for the following year before they open it up to new customers. Those usually open up for new customers around March 1st, it seems.

If the place has a page on Facebook, keep an eye on it. Last year the place we were staying in just March opened reservations to everyone on February 15th. They only announced it on their FB page. Had I not been checking it we would have arrived on March 1st and found ourselves locked out for March 2022.

Good luck,

Ray

Tags
camping, florida