Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #1

Florida I-10 travel

Planning a trip thru Florida on I-10 next week , heading for Gulf Breeze FL. Will be staying at Emerald Beach RV Resort. How has the love bug crop been this fall? They can be a real problem this time of year.
Blacksmith9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksmith9 View Post
Planning a trip thru Florida on I-10 next week , heading for Gulf Breeze FL. Will be staying at Emerald Beach RV Resort. How has the love bug crop been this fall? They can be a real problem this time of year.
Very bad. Just went west on I 10 the whole front was completely black with love bugs.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #3

That's not good. They can make a real mess of you're rig. Thanks for the update.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:44 AM   #4

BAD - BAD & BAD. We drove from Mobile to Tallahassee and it took us two hours to get them off.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:16 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
BAD - BAD & BAD. We drove from Mobile to Tallahassee and it took us two hours to get them off.
I have not tried this but my neighbor swears that spraying Pledge (don't wipe it off) on the front and the mirror backs makes clean-up a breeze.

I will attest that pledge will not harm your paint I used it on my motorcycle paint and chrome for years. And I smelled good at red lights
Old 09-13-2013, 05:27 AM   #6

Last night the news said that this is the worst in over three years. Probably because we've had a lot more rain this summer.
Yarcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:36 AM   #7

Pledge works. The crop duster I know uses it on all his air planes.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #8

I usually use bounce dryer sheets! Wet it put it all over the front end of your coach including mirrors ,then use chamois to dry off ! Bugs won't stick! Just came from Md, to Tx. And not a bug to be had!
Btswrkn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #9

I found some 303 today, but the salesman said to simply spray Pam on the front instead. This would seem to be a sticky problem.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #10

Seems it would take a lot of Pam to spray the front of the fiver and the truck. Are the love bugs still active north of I-10?
Old 09-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #11

They "woke up" last week.
Real bad here right now. I drive i-10 everyday, from Mobile,al to Tallahassee,fl.
Last year I don't even think I had to scrub my windshield a single time. Front of my van is covered.
atocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I found some 303 today, but the salesman said to simply spray Pam on the front instead. This would seem to be a sticky problem.
Do Not Use Pam.

I fell for that Pam Scam back in 1985. Sprayed the front of my Z-28 with Pam one morning, was able to try and wash it off the next afternoon. The worst mistake I have ever made. The Florida sun baked the Pam on just like on a baking sheet. It took many hours and several applications of WD-40 to get it off.
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #13

Thanks for the info on the Pam. I don't really want to spray stuff on the front of my rig. I just waxed everything and will take a wash bucket with me. Just hope they aren't too bad when we get there next week.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Oxyclean added to the bucket water helps getting them off without a lot of scrubbing. Bring a brush that you can extend and dip it in the water oxyclean mixture. Does help. I hate those things. Make sure you don't let them stay on your car/rig for too long. They will damage the paint all the way through the clear coat.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote