Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2016, 05:41 PM   #57

Last September I stayed at lot 44 at Bluewater. Had Breakfast and dinner at Harpoon Harry's on Caroline st, very friendly place. A great Cuban restaurant, El Meson de Pepe,Wall st Key West.The Beach at Fort Zachary Taylor .Take the Yankee Freedom Boat ride to the Dry Tortugas, bring ear plugs for the engine noise. Pick up a free guide to Key West in the Bluewater office, lots of info and coupons.
On the way back to the Florida mainland stop at Bahia Honda state park, even if you can't camp the beach's are great. Check out the EAA museum on Marathon and Dolphin Research Center. Robbie's in Islamorada, feed the tarpon. People watch, lots of interesting people to talk to and see.Think of the old Jimmy Buffet song, "The Weather Is Here, Wish You Were Beautiful".
Enjoy, be a tourist.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 06:45 PM   #58

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for all the great advice.

We ended up spending our time at Grassy Key RV Park in Marathon and making day trips from there. Great park, very clean and well run.

We enjoyed a water front site.

ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:16 AM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackmac View Post
good info we are staying at bluewater rv. Please any more info on the keys is great. Info on fishing? boat, waverunner renatls. good eats and things we must see. evening dinner or wine sunset cruise?
We went to the Sunday brunch here Florida Keys Resorts | Florida Keys Hotels | Little Palm Island Resort
It was kind of a once in a lifetime thing for us. Absolutely beautiful place, great service and food. About $100 each when we went with a group. That includes the boat trip back & forth from Little Torch Key. They are very serious about no refunds so make sure you can attend.

Some other places to eat and drink, not in Key West. No Name Pub It's on Big Pine where you are likely to see Key Deer. Don't speed there they are protective of them This one is Keysey Home Nearby Looe Key is Restaurant and Mini Golf - Boondocks Florida KeysBoondocks Florida Keys it's kind of touristy but we have never had a bad meal there.

We spend our winter in Marathon and know the middle Keys best but that is about a 40 mile drive from Blue Water.

There are fishing charters all over the Keys. I would ask around when you get to Blue Water. If you like to snorkel or dive, Looe Key is a great spot. Don't worry the sharks won't bother you
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:00 AM   #60

We took an jet ski ecotour that went around Key West.

It got a little long but was fun seeing the whole Key from the water.

If not mentioned, Fort Jefferson, out at the Dry Tortugas, is a great snorkel and educational trip.

Sunset Grill serves good food and has a pool. Burdines and Castaways are local wattering holes in Marathon. Havana Jacks in Key Colony is new.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:25 AM   #61

great advice

Wow thanks a bunch. water holes are always a good choice. as for fishing what about fishing from our dock at bluewater?

when going to the other keys is it wise to take our own vehicle? for parking, and or a drink or 2? we will have a 1 ton dually.
outbackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:39 AM   #62

From Marathon down to Key West, the Lower Keys bus is only $4.00 per regular rider. They discount seniors and diabled.

You get to ride with the locals and some boaters. Get a feel for the Keys life.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:04 PM   #63

We haven't been to BlueWater for 3-4 years but when we were there last there was a couple staying near the entrance in one of the sites that was running his own fishing charter business.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:55 PM   #64

In addition to charter boats that will cost you $500+ for a few hours, there are what are called"party" or "head" boats. The party boats usually take 10 or more people and charge by the person, much more reasonable. I think they charge about $40 for a 4 hour trip.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:30 PM   #65

chasA

Yes very familiar with Head boats, not a big fan but it is a option. Another question, Are there any public golf courses?
outbackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:34 PM   #66

Marathon has a golf course. Formally Sombrero CC.

Now Florida Keys Country Club. Open to the public.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:51 AM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
twinboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Marathon has a golf course. Formally Sombrero CC.

Now Florida Keys Country Club. Open to the public.
I'm not a golfer but a friend that is said that the FKCC was terrible. That was a year or two ago so they may have improved it since it was Sombrero.

There is a course in Key Colony Beach and one on College Rd in Key West. Have not heard anything about those two.

Any news about the Dockside?
Old 07-15-2016, 07:45 AM   #68

I'm on the Boot Key Harbor Cruises, Facebook site and the last I heard, a few months ago, was that the operators packed up and took off in the middle of the night.

They struggled with the state rules and a manager that skipped town. I guess musicians shouldn't open restaurants.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:53 AM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I'm on the Boot Key Harbor Cruises, Facebook site and the last I heard, a few months ago, was that the operators packed up and took off in the middle of the night.

They struggled with the state rules and a manager that skipped town. I guess musicians shouldn't open restaurants.
Think I read the same thing. We always liked seeing Eric play but at the restaurant he kind of ignored the clientele unless they were "musicians". Walked right past us just after opening and not even a "how is it"?

The owners side of the story was different than theirs of course.

It sucks for those of you moored in the harbor. A really convenient watering hole. We used to stop in for lunch & a couple of beers by land or sea.

Tags
florida