Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2022, 06:55 PM   #1

Florida next winter, any campground available ?

Retiring next month! YAY! Looking to spend a month next winter in Ft Meyers or vicinity. We love beach and biking trails. Problem is we cannot find a campground with any availability. Any suggestions?
They all say the snowbirds book from year to year or they want a 2 or 3 month commitment!
Hitdrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2022, 07:16 PM   #2

Most campgrounds want to be sure to stay full during winter.
That's why it's hard to find something for only a month.
Gary O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 07:38 PM   #3

Keep checking the places with the 3 month minimums . At a point in time, May or June they open up to booking 1 month stays.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 10:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitdrd View Post
Retiring next month! YAY! Looking to spend a month next winter in Ft Meyers or vicinity. We love beach and biking trails. Problem is we cannot find a campground with any availability. Any suggestions?
They all say the snowbirds book from year to year or they want a 2 or 3 month commitment!
Try for public parks - 2 weeks and then move for the next 2 weeks. Try out different areas.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 06:00 AM   #5

If you are OK with being in the interior of the state, you may find a cg. Anything near the coast will likely be booked. You can ask to be put on a wait list in some places... people do cancel
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 06:27 AM   #6

There are lots of places that will take reservations no sooner than 90 days before arrival date. Go online and look for those as well as places that will book now.
X2 what others have said about wait list.
It took me several days of online searches and phone calls to find a place three years ago. Because we are now returning to the same resort every winter we get booked early. But we commit fot 4 months.
Good luck and please keep us posted!
202235f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 07:15 AM   #7

I am hesitant to share my tricks, as maybe next year they won't work for me but here they are.

Plan on spending a lot of time on the computer and take notes.
Google the crap out of campgrounds by town and county.
Go on every water management district website and look for options there
Get an account for state parks, use the "notify me" option. If the dates you requested open up you get an email. RESPOND IMMEDIATELY
Go county by county to websites and check if they have county campgrounds
Join HH/BW, Hipcamp and search there.
A night in Cracker Barrel between campgrounds is not bad. Love their breakfast menu.
Join the rail trails conservancy, the number of bike trails in Florida is overwhelming. Trail link is a decent website.

Plan on spending less than a week in each location. Not as bad as it seems, we enjoyed moving around and getting to know different areas during each stay.
We stayed in Ft Meyers, Venice, Sarasota and then hit the panhandle. over a month our average cost was less than $20 a night. This includes 2 nights at $140 when a BW location didn't work out. The planning started Thanksgiving for a trip in Feb. Many BW hosts only open their calendar 2 months in advance, but will answer emails.
MCCOHENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 06:41 PM   #8
NXR

Call the ones you want and ask to be put on their cancellation list. Get on a lot of lists.

The place we stay in Bradenton went to a three month minimum so we're going to look more towards the middle of the state for 2024. Friends did that and were paying several hundred dollars less each month than we were paying.

Ray
Old 05-03-2022, 09:54 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitdrd View Post
If you dont mind being an 1-1/2hr north. https://thesurfrvresort.com

This is a new park opening this fall for both short and long term. Anna Marie Island is a short drive for beach time and plenty of bike trails in the area. Expect to pay around 3k for the month.
Props2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 06:30 PM   #10

Many campgrounds do have transient site available for a week ar so at a time. The rate is higher than seasonal, but they are there. Try inland along rt 17 or 27.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 06:51 PM   #11

Red Cocanut is overrated in my opinion. There are a few other parks near FMB. I'll search around and get their names for you. Give me a day or 2
outlawten5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:13 AM   #12

We'll be here https://littlewilliesrvresort.com/
About 20 mins out but close enough and worth the $
Old 05-06-2022, 04:49 AM   #13

I made a list of all rv parks near FMB but couldn't find this thread. lol. I'll be home in a couple hours to post the list. I'm local to the area.
outlawten5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:27 PM   #14

I stayed here once. Not quite FT Myers but close. It’s a very nice location lots of Beaches nearby
You can walk or ride a bicycle to the beach.
They used to allow street legal golf carts in Sanibel when I went.

https://sanibelcamping.com/

Tags
campground, florida, winter