Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2017, 12:01 PM   #1

For those that snowbird what's your set up?

I'm 46 and retired live in western WA State. Thinking of doing RV-ing full time, or part time with a small house/condo somewhere as a base. I want to snowbird. I wanted to get a discussion going on what everyone's "snowbird set up" is.

-Is there a RV park you go to in winter and summer every year? What areas do you go to?
-Do you go to different parks every year and chase the weather? Do you have a route you like to do every year when migrating north or south?
-Do you have a S&B house as a "home base" in a winter or summer area? Or maybe you have two houses or condos and use your RV to drive back and forth between them?
-if you have a base house, do you have any issues securing the house or winterizing it when you are gone?
-any other folks who maybe live in a RV in summer/fall and then travel to low cost warm countries in winter (i.e. Thailand, Panama, Bali, etc...)?
-how do you like your snowbird lifestyle? Any lessons learned over the years?

Thanks!
JamBand is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2017, 01:23 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
JamBand,
A snowbird lifestyle can vary a great deal from one person to another and even from year to year for the same person/people.

My wife and I leave the Vancouver, BC area just after Christmas and head down to Quartzsite to meet a group of RV friends at the Quartzsite RV show in the second half of January. One year we wondered around the south, drifting as far east as Texas and New Mexico while another year might see us roaming around Arizona, Nevada or Death Valley. Last winter we found ourselves out in the south-eastern US having completed a long trip coast to coast across Canada. After coming home for Christmas (left our coach near Atlanta), we went down to Florida and then worked our way back west along the Gulf Coast. I don't know where we'll go this winter, after Quartzsite, as that is too far in the future yet. Other friend simply go down to Mesa, AZ and stay there until they return north in the spring. We still have a S&B back home here while the above friends have a home in Alberta and a park model in Mesa and drive their car between them after selling their RV last year.

When we started snowbirding 3-years ago we kept our S&B as we were not sure we wanted to full-time. Now, we plan to sell our townhouse and downsize to a condo that is easier to lock up and leave and requires a smaller financial commitment.

Your mileage might vary.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:40 PM   #3

JamBand,
I'm sure each of the scenarios you describe is currently working for some.
One size fits all...will not apply. Everyone has different wants, needs, likes, comfort levels, levels of interest and experiences when it comes to Snowbirding.

No one can really tell you what is right, or wrong.

The only true way to find out and know what is going to work for you....is to make a plan....and begin to figure it out as you go. I would imagine that is what most of us have done.

Things change over time, to be sure. What was acceptable and worked well last year, may not be agreeable this year. Sometimes you just go with the flow. Make it an adventure with having fun your priority, and it will all have a way of working out.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:59 PM   #4

If you at the point of deciding whether to buy a condo or small house as a base that tells me your really ready to full time. You don't need a house, you simpley need a home base to move your health care and use as a saftey net incase you break a leg or something.
For what it is worth, here is my opinion.
Spend a year traveling around the country with an eye twords a park or resort where you would be comfortable staying a few months regardless of the time of year. We purchased a lot on Hilton Head Island. The summers are hot but short and tolerable. The winters rarely get below freezing at night. Although we typicall only spend the spring and fall months there it what we call home. We go north in the summer and south or west in the winter. But if anything ever happened where we had to stay for an extended period we have a place to go and stay as long as needed,where we have friends, where we know the doctors, and where we believe is a pretty darned nice to stay regardless of the situation.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:15 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses everyone. Ron H., that sounds interesting what you do wandering around the southwest and south every year after Christmas.

My initial thinking is that I would spend summers in Western WA and winters somewhere in the southwest (probably AZ). And then shoulder months (April/May and Oct/Nov) in places in between WA & AZ (UT, NV, Eastern Sierra, No. AZ) in my RV as I drove up and back. I think a good recommendation is to just try this out with an RV and see what works. Having a small condo in one of these two states may be an eventual goal. So I could spend part of the year in a larger living space out of the RV.

I do have family in New England and grew up there and would not mind spending Mid May to Mid Oct there. Love VT and ME especially those months. But I prefer the southwest U.S. in winter/spring and that would be a long haul back and forth from VT or ME to AZ every year. Growing up in New England I remember so many folks would hit retirement and go to FL 7 mos and VT, ME or NH 5 mos. I remember as a kid our neighbors had a trailer in Naples winter, a airstream trailer, and a rustic camp in Vermont. Life was probably very different in Naples FL back around 1970 when they first started wintering there...lots more space, cheaper, and far less people

Interested to hear more about others who have tried this snowbird lifestyle, ironed out the kinks, and what ended up working for them.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:34 PM   #6

Townhouse might be the answer

I have read extensively on the FT forum where many of your questions are addressed. (I had the same questions.)

We have decided to retain our townhome (Minnesota). There is virtually no outside maintenance in most townhome associations that is NOT taken care of by the association. (We have a deck that needs to be periodically cleaned off and a low maintenance perennial garden we can putz in when we want to play outdoors.) But we can skip owning a lawn mower and snowblower. The townhome is a hybrid between a single family home and condo. We drive into our own garage. No common hallways or expensive elevators to pay for. Only 1 common wall. Some even have areas where RVs can be parked for a short term basis. Some have pools and other common areas that create a resort feel. We can lock up and leave anytime. A neighbor brings our mail in. We have a security system and freeze alarm. We turn the water off when we are going to be gone. We can camp as much as we like with home base always ready when we want it. Is working well for us. The TH is paid for ...our monthly budget for taxes, insurance, association assessment, security monitoring, all utilities, and a maintenance fund is $800.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJFogelberg View Post
I have read extensively on the FT forum where many of your questions are addressed. (I had the same questions.)

We have decided to retain our townhome (Minnesota). There is virtually no outside maintenance in most townhome associations that is NOT taken care of by the association. (We have a deck that needs to be periodically cleaned off and a low maintenance perennial garden we can putz in when we want to play outdoors.) But we can skip owning a lawn mower and snowblower. The townhome is a hybrid between a single family home and condo. We drive into our own garage. No common hallways or expensive elevators to pay for. Only 1 common wall. Some even have areas where RVs can be parked for a short term basis. Some have pools and other common areas that create a resort feel. We can lock up and leave anytime. A neighbor brings our mail in. We have a security system and freeze alarm. We turn the water off when we are going to be gone. We can camp as much as we like with home base always ready when we want it. Is working well for us. The TH is paid for ...our monthly budget for taxes, insurance, association assessment, security monitoring, all utilities, and a maintenance fund is $800.
Thanks TJFogelberg. Maybe I should have posted this on the full timing forum. The town home sounds good, I have owned town home style condos (no one above or below you) and I agree they are low maintenance and easy to "lock and leave". So MN is summer for you in the townhome, where do you go in winter and what is your set up there?
Old 06-03-2017, 04:33 PM   #8

Yes, no one above or below us...we've been there done that. �� We have an odd schedule...we work in MN during tax season, so not snowbirds yet. But many of the same issues as everyone else. Do plan to visit Fla this Nov/Dec to get a taste. Did TX previously and like it. MN has many advantages as a base but generally gets a bad wrap by those who haven't lived here. We love the central location as we like to go to both coasts and also south. Also the low cost of living as you can see from my previous post.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJFogelberg View Post
Yes, no one above or below us...we've been there done that. �� We have an odd schedule...we work in MN during tax season, so not snowbirds yet. But many of the same issues as everyone else. Do plan to visit Fla this Nov/Dec to get a taste. Did TX previously and like it. MN has many advantages as a base but generally gets a bad wrap by those who haven't lived here. We love the central location as we like to go to both coasts and also south. Also the low cost of living as you can see from my previous post.
I like MN and think that is a great 6 mos summer/fall snowbird area. I hear Duluth has nice summers and great scenery close by, I have not been there though. I would imagine affordable home prices up there.

I like the Texas Hill County area for winter/spring snowbird, but weather is mixed bag in dead of winter (Dec, Jan, Feb), it's a lot better than the northern states, but not as consistently nice and sunny/warm as the low desert AZ, FL, SoCal those months. Also in later March TX can already start getting uncomfortably hot & humid. I was in FL again this past April, I've tried to like it, I'm just not a big fan of the state. I do like the Keys but too pricey. Wish I could have been in FL 50 years ago when it was "old Florida" and not so crowded. I like that TX & FL have no state income tax (as well as my current home state of WA).
Old 06-05-2017, 05:09 PM   #10

For those that snowbird what's your set up?

We grew up in MN. Loved it. But knew nothing else.
Got transferred East. Holy moly, no skeeters or black flies, and no real winter.
We go back to MN when such cursed elements are not there.
We follow the weather as we wander around the continent. New roads, new parks, new experiences. Not for everyone.
Happy Trails
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:41 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
This is my 7th summer at my DD's house near Seattle. Summer is the only time of year to be up here. I park on her property and stay until the rains return.

I've done 2 winters in FL, too many bugs and mildew everywhere; 1 near Houston, same problems; one in southern WA for knee replacements; and these last 2 in southern Arizona.

I plan to return to Quartzite in early November and will boondock at La Posa South LTVA. I really like that you can outline "your space" with rocks and we made lots of friends I hope to see again.

This year I'll be better prepared to deal with the wind. I bought an 8'x24' mesh tarp and will pick up the poles on my way down and make an L shaped windbreak. I'm also adding water and dump barrels so I don't have to break camp for those. I use an extend-a-stay for propane.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:40 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just looked at the title of this thread again. If by set-up you mean type and size of RV -- I have a 25' Class C motorhome. The rest of that info is in my signature.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I just looked at the title of this thread again. If by set-up you mean type and size of RV -- I have a 25' Class C motorhome. The rest of that info is in my signature.
Thanks okmunky for the info. Yes my post was directed at both WHERE snowbirds spend summer and winter, AND what their set up is (i.e. full time in a RV and what type of RV? Long term in one RV parks or boondock? Combination of S&B house & RV? Two S&B houses and use the RV to drive back and forth? etc..). So you answered well, thanks

I think Western WA probably has the best weather from mid June to mid Sept of any place in the lower 48. Median temps in July & Aug are about 75 and no humidity and few bugs. Plus it is a really beautiful place. But I'm not crazy about western WA weather the other 7-8 mos of the year.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I plan to return to Quartzite in early November and will boondock at La Posa South LTVA. I really like that you can outline "your space" with rocks and we made lots of friends I hope to see again.

This year I'll be better prepared to deal with the wind. I bought an 8'x24' mesh tarp and will pick up the poles on my way down and make an L shaped windbreak. I'm also adding water and dump barrels so I don't have to break camp for those. I use an extend-a-stay for propane.
Barb, you mention you go to Quartzite in early Nov. How long do you stay down there? Since it starts getting hot there in March and Seattle doesn't warm up until late May (if you are lucky late May!), where do you spend April and May?

I like what I have heard about boondocking in Quartzite in winter. I'm just wondering with it's isolation if I would have enough to do if I was out there for 4-5 mos being single and in my 40's. I used to live in San Diego a number of years ago, and I would go tent camping sometimes out in Anza Borrego near Borrego Springs. Borrego is a pretty isolated place. Back then I remember I loved the desert for a few days camping with the sunsets, starry skies and everything, but I was also always ready to get back to San Diego after a few days out there. So not sure how I would do boondocking way out in the desert for 4+ mos.