Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2005, 05:18 PM   #1
Administrator Emeritus

We're heading up and across the top of the U.S. this July and are in need of a half-way stopover between Frankenmuth MI and the Mall of America in MN.

It's a little over 700 miles,which is something with the little one we don't do....

Even a 2/3 one day and 1/3 the next would be o.k.

Ideas?

(I searched the forums and really didn't find a suitable solution...)
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2005, 05:18 PM   #2
Administrator Emeritus

We're heading up and across the top of the U.S. this July and are in need of a half-way stopover between Frankenmuth MI and the Mall of America in MN.

It's a little over 700 miles,which is something with the little one we don't do....

Even a 2/3 one day and 1/3 the next would be o.k.

Ideas?

(I searched the forums and really didn't find a suitable solution...)
Old 12-13-2005, 02:01 AM   #3

Not knowing your route...I am assuming upper pennsula of Michigan not Chicago. There are many campgrounds on Michigan 35 and 2 . Is that your intent????
Old 12-13-2005, 02:24 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Mapquest link

Mapquest takes me "down and under" the lake and through Chicago apparently....doesn't sound like a good idea with a 40'er and a toad to me.

I'm ALL ears now!!
Old 12-13-2005, 03:38 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I've made the run from my place (1 hour north of Milwaukee) to the Elkhart, IN area quite a bit so I'm somewhat familiar with the Chicago "stuff" in case yopu want to do the southern route.

We pull a toad behind a 40 footer also and it's not too bad if you time it right around Chicago. If you are going to get there around the morning or afternoon drive times - forget it! We find that very early (pre 6AM) works or else evenings after 7 PM aren't too bad. Naturally, you DO NOT go through Chicago on I-94. Instead, take the I-294 bypass around Chicago before rehooking up with I-94 to take you to Bloomington. If you really hate traffic, you can head straight out on I-80 until you pick up I-39, then head north but that will add extra miles to your trip. In order to bust through the Chicago area early AM I'd stay at one of the rest areas on the Indiana Tollroad because they're spacious and don't cost anything. That way you can get an early AM jump off from right outside the IL state line. If you run it late at night, you'll wind up in Wisconsin, which doesn't have any decent rest areas so that way only works on the return trip. And of course, there's the toll booth stuff in Chicago. They're converting over to in-motion I-Pass stuff which is nice because you roll right through and they just take it out of your account. But I-Pass requires a $50 up-front deposit to fund your account so it only works if you travel that way frequently, although it is transferrable to your car as well. Without I-Pass you have to wait in line at the booths.

If you want to go north around the lake, you'll be heading through the U.P. I understand there are some great parks in the Mackinac area but I'm not familiar with them. I do know that hwy 29 is a great road - mostly 4 lane divided all the way from Green Bay to Minneapolis so that's a good road for an RV. Overall the northern route is slower, with more stop and go stuff but it's more scenic and if you're not in a hurry, it'll probably be less stressful and you won't have to deal with the tolls.

Then again, you could take the ferry over from Ludington to Manitowoc. I have no idea what kind of ride that might be. Lake Michigan isn't exactly placid.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:40 AM   #6

We avoid Chicago area like the plague....we have found no matter what time we hit that area it is just toooooo congested. Much nicer ride through the U.P. That would take you along the Lake and across The Bridge. Many places along US 2 to pull off and park right along the beach. Frankenmuth is just an 1 1/2hours south of us. Don't know the rates of the ferry but that would put you into Luddington, Mich. area.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:15 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Many places along US 2 to pull off and park right along the beach. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For an overnight????

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:23 AM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

OK GREAT response!!

I've done the map around the top and it looks like Frankenmuth to somewhere around Green Bay is a good run for the first day and then straight out 29 the next day.

I'll check TL directory and rvparkreviews,but any faves around Green Bay and vicinity?

We're kind of excited about going up and around,and we're certainly not in a hurry.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:42 AM   #9

Don't know about overnight parking off 2 on Lake Mich., but its a great spot to stop for lunch and get your feet wet! There are some nice cgs on 2 and when you cross the bridge. By the way the milage going up is not that much longer than going Chicago. And with traffic probably takes just about as long. Sometimes it is good to get off the freeways and enjoy the sites as you cruise along. If your not in a big hurry a day trip to Mackinac Island is nice too. That is a boat trip from Mackinaw City. Any other info I can help with????
Old 12-13-2005, 09:42 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Thanks Ed,(or Cheryl??)

Rvparkreviews lists by City or town,so I'll have to zoom in Mapquest and compare the towns on their list to the map.

I'm sure we'll have to get our feet wet,the girls love dipping those toes!

ON EDIT....Anybody ever stayed at Oconto?
Map shows just north of GB on 41,there's one review on rvparkreview.com.
Looks pretty decent according to their web page.