Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2022, 06:43 AM   #1

Fulltime wintering in FL - subsequent to hurricane Ian - Your thougths

2008 Tiffin Phaeton 40' CL A DP pulling a Equinox
We retired at the end of 2021 and so began full timing in Jan 2022
For 2022 we went up the east coast and across the northeast and are now heading down towards florida visiting family as we go.
We plan to hit Red Bay and stay in AL for a month before going to FL
We are thousand trails members
I'm planning a trip to the southwest for 2023, and this has delayed my winter reservations ... so I'm behind in making winter 2022-2023 reservations

Given Hurricane Ian in Florida now, we wont know the extent of the damage for a while, it currently sounds like a broad wind and water damage.

I'm a florida native so lived through many hurricanes. Usually despite the storm winds and rain/flooding, severe damage is usually confined to a limiited area. While that area is severely affected, the remainder of the state , even 50 miles away maybe unaffected or have minimal damage.

I had heard that last week Thousand Trails Peace river was evacuated for flooding. no matter what, this won't help that, as well the three Thousand Trails parks are all around the orlando/Tampa area where the storm went thru.

Thoughts about how the hurricane will affect RV wintering in Florida?
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2022, 07:03 AM   #2
Community Moderator

We have Orlando for 3 weeks starting Oct. 31st. Then we move to Lake Magic for a week then to Key West area for 3 weeks.
We then are scheduled to go back to Orlando for another 2 weeks then start heading west toward Texas for the winter. I wonder with the hurricane if you will be able to get into either of the 3 TT Parks there.

Since Peace River puts everybody down in the big open field, I am going to/would avoid that park.
Check the TT website and they put out updates on the parks.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 07:50 AM   #3

swduns-

Here are my guesses:

1) A number of RV parks will be damaged such that they won't be full-capacity this Winter.
2) The repair and construction workers will be looking for places to live for several months to a couple of years.
3) As a result, the competition for RV sites will increase and remain high throughout this Winter, and possibly through 2023.

You may be able to find open sites for short periods along the storm track. If you go farther than 100 miles either side of the storm track, you may be able to make a longer reservation. As you know from living in Florida, the window for a December-to-April, one-site-don't-have-to-move snowbird reservation closed last April or May.

My predictions have been incorrect for just about everything, so I would not lay any money on the above.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 07:52 AM   #4

We don’t go down until January
Look like at the resorts we will stay at are ok except in Ft. Meyers.
I’ll have to check with them sometime in October or November
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 12:23 PM   #5

Personally, I'd avoid Florida for this winter. Let them have the time to get it back in shape. Many out-of-state workers will be there. Plus, think of all those displaced alligators and snakes. ... and with all the standing water the mosquitoes will be in full force. Even if the park gets repairs in order to open, the surrounding community will take longer. It's just not going to be the same for this winter.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 02:11 PM   #6

If you don't already have reservations, just finding a place may be difficult....actually worse because before the hurricane, it would have been difficult. You may want to consider another location such as Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana or Texas. And, keep in mind that the hurricane season isn't over yet!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 02:42 PM   #7

Remain flexible...give them a month to get their feet back on the ground and see what availability might be at that time for the winter. Maybe go to Texas if Florida isn't ready for us yet. (As fate would have it, we decided not to travel this year. However, we are hoping to spend Nov + Dec 2023 in Florida. We are on a Florida Max Pass so we have 9 parks + TC).
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 08:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJFogelberg View Post
Remain flexible...give them a month to get their feet back on the ground and see what availability might be at that time for the winter. Maybe go to Texas if Florida isn't ready for us yet. (As fate would have it, we decided not to travel this year. However, we are hoping to spend Nov + Dec 2023 in Florida. We are on a Florida Max Pass so we have 9 parks + TC).
What is a Florida max pass?
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 04:34 PM   #9

We own a lot in Torrey Oaks near Wachulla. The park had some tree limbs come down and several 5th wheels were damaged and there is some damage to the buildings. I'm sure that we will be in near normal opereations for the winter.
1000 trails Peace River was totally under water as the river crested at 26'. Anything along the Peace and Myakka rivers probably has flood damage. My guess is that parks in northern central FL will be OK. I talked to Suncoast Designers in Hudson as we have an appointment for windows in 2 weeks. They are open and said they can keep our appointment.
I would say give eveeyone s couple of weeks to get power back and see where they stand before giving up on plans to come. Everyone still needs your business.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 05:33 PM   #10

I have reservations in Fort DeSoto Campground starting Monday 3 October. I wrote to get my money back and they said they are open, starting 3 October. I said "okay, we'll be there."

I called the KOA in Orlando/Kissimmee to check on their status, as we have reservations starting 7 October, and they are open now and hope we will continue our planned visit. We are, since Universal Studios will be open.

I haven't heard back from North Beach Camp Resort near St Augustine, where we have reservations starting 10 October, but assume I'll hear something soon. If not, I'll extend my stay in Orlando or go elsewhere.

Overall I think my money will be more useful to these communities than my sympathies. If they didn't want us there they wouldn't be open or would only be open to linesmen crews and others doing relief work.
El Chapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 07:11 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
1000 trails Peace River was totally under water as the river crested at 26'. Anything along the Peace and Myakka rivers probably has flood damage. My guess is that parks in northern central FL will be OK.
We talked to some friends in Orlando TT Park, and they said the park is doing good, no issues. But we saw pictures from other TT members of Peace River. It was under water, even up in the top section. We saw some rigs sitting up to the window lines on the rigs.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 07:11 AM   #12

We get the Hardee County updates. The Peace River crested at over 27 feet, destroyed several bridges and flooded many homes. Many roads were washed out. It will take a while for the flooding to subside. Power is still out for most of the county, but water is back on with a boil water notice. People from our park have been able to go north on 17 to Bartow, but not south through Zolfow Springs. Walmart in Wachula is open, but most of the downtown area is still closed.
I think that you need to check with any park on or near the Peace of Myakks rivers and see the status, but it may be several weeks before you will be able to contact them. Have not heard anything about SKP in Zolfo, but you may have a hard time getting there.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 08:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Personally, I'd avoid Florida for this winter. Let them have the time to get it back in shape. Many out-of-state workers will be there. Plus, think of all those displaced alligators and snakes. ... and with all the standing water the mosquitoes will be in full force. Even if the park gets repairs in order to open, the surrounding community will take longer. It's just not going to be the same for this winter.
This is a very unselfish assessment. I think anyone, whether they have reservations or not, should consider giving those reservations up so those coming in to help clean up and rebuild the stricken areas will have places to stay. Judging by the numbers of trucks and equipment moving into the devastated areas there will be a real need for places where folks can stay. A lot of these folks will be working double shifts to hasten the rebuilding. They need comfortable places to stay and get some R&R when they are off the clock.
No one wants to give up their plans but these are extenuating circumstances.
Old 10-02-2022, 08:06 PM   #14

Has anyone heard about the Myakka river resort on 41 right before North Port. Are they open?
Tonkexpress1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fulltime, hurricane, winter