Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2016, 03:58 AM   #1

Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge

Gonna take the kids to the Smokie this summer... any campgrounds suggested... we will have our two boys with us 4 and 8.

Also, any routes or areas to avoid? I hear the traffic can be bad.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2016, 05:41 AM   #2

Traffic is worst on Friday and Monday. If you go to Dollywood go on Tuesday or Wednesday. If you go after 3 the second day is free. So we go on Tuesday afternoon and all day Wednesday. If you want great food for a reasonable price in a good down home family atmosphere go to Huck Finns catfish. They have more than just fish and its all awesome. Its way on the end of town headed to Gatlinberg.
I always take the kids to the Nascar speed park for a day of go carts. 20 bucks a head its all day. You can come and go as you please. The food is very pricey. A lot of people have a picnic in the parking lot. I just bite the bullet and pay for the 5 dollar hot dog. The old mill area has some nice shops. There is a blacksmith shop that for a price will teach you how to make stuff. Its pretty cool if you are into that kind of stuff. Im going to try it.
Wonderworks (the big upside down building) was a little overpriced but had fun. Everyone really liked the wax museum.

We always take a day and walk Gatlinberg. Park in a paid parking garage on the hill (its like 5 or 6 bucks). I have a long box crew cab pickup and have no problems parking up there. We Walk all the way to Cooters and back. Sometimes we go to the aquarium. That is one place you need to go if you have never been there.
Stars cars is pretty neat. I enjoyed it. the riplys believe it or not places are pretty cool too if you are into that. On the way back to the truck I always stop at old smoky moonshine and try every flavor. (free samples). Then go across the street to Bubba Gumps for a tall beer and some shrimp. The wife drives back and I take a nap.

We never camp there. We leave the camper in Kentucky at my Mother in laws house. My wifes family has a time share cabin so we stay there. We go almost every year around the 4th of july
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:40 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I like being near Gatlinburg and the National Park since hiking is our prime activity. With kids, your needs are likely different. We stay at Twin Creek RV Resort. Small park, no activities but have a pool. Very convenient location for what we want. We don't like the Pigeon Forge area.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:46 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Beautiful area - make some time to ride through the trails if you have a 4x4 !

We even took our first VERY small rv through here

Nice National Park --> https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...Tennessee.html

and nice rv parks --> New RV Resort, Breathtaking Views, Fireplaces, BathHouse, STAY WITH US
Old 04-07-2016, 05:49 PM   #5

We always stay at camp rivers landing, has a new heated pool with playground, we like creek side, like feeding the geese and ducks in the morning while cooking breakfast, it is 2 blocks off of the main strip in pigeon forge just behind the Dixie stamped
mikelisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
I like being near Gatlinburg and the National Park since hiking is our prime activity. With kids, your needs are likely different. We stay at Twin Creek RV Resort. Small park, no activities but have a pool. Very convenient location for what we want. We don't like the Pigeon Forge area.
Ditto, they are right at the end of the trolly line so you can get around Gatlinburg without driving and parking. Last year however we found it less stressful and probably less expense and less hassle to leave the RV 5 hours away at the campground and take the toad and get a rate on a motel in the heart of town. If you are camping in a smaller RV you may want to consider the Park campgrounds.
Catch14me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:05 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Claybough's family campground is good for kids and everything is there that you may need - city trolley pickup, store, fuel, pools, little restaurant aft of the store. We go there if the grandkids are with us. Nice sites under the trees, not a "parking lot". jmo mark
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:13 AM   #8

Will the trolley take you to Old Mill area, Nascar go carts, Smoky Mountain Opry, Hatfield & McCoy, Dollywood ect ??
BCRacing24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:08 AM   #9

I think so yes. We just drive ourselves everywhere. Parking is a pain sometimes. Nascar go cart track has a huge parking lot. Getting our big truck in there is not an issue. Parking at the old mill was not bad. Parking at dollywood is no issue at all. You can take a semi in there if you wanted. They have a tram to pick people up. All the attractions we have been to have ample parking even to accommodate my crew cab long box truck. The only place it was really tight was the little shops. 3 bears store and any older stores right on the strip.

The thing about the trolley is you have to be certain place at a certain time. With kids that's difficult and I like the freedom to come and go as I please.

I wanted to ride it to Gatlinberg once. The wife said no. We are driving. Fine then. lol

There is a local grocery store besides Walmart. Everything has 2 prices. One for if you have their card, one if not. Don't worry about it. Ask and they will give you the card when you check out.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:34 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi chertz,
If you can't get into Clabough's at Clabough's Campground & Cabins . . . 800-965-8524 - Stay at one of our 310 large, shaded sites with 2 swimming pools, a lazy river, very clean facilities and even a market with complete grocery line and a restaurant on site! Family owned and operated try River Plantation at Camping, Campground, Campsites | River Plantation
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post

We second the vote for Twin Creek. For many of the same reasons.
Martinichuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:10 PM   #12

I enjoy the Townsend Koa, it's close to Cade's Cove area of the park and a short drive to Pigeon Forge.

It's on the water and for a few bucks you can rent a tube and float down the rive... With transportation back up river to the drop off area...
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote