Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2019, 06:16 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Georgia Mountain Fair Campground

I believe I've come across this before but I either don't understand the search tool or it is worthless. I entered the sub forum for Camping Locations and scrolled down to Search This Forum and entered "Georgia Mountain Fair Campground" and it returned with Gettysburg, Campgrounds around Denver, etc. So, I'll ask a question that may have already been ask.

Can anyone tell me if the Georgia Mountain Fair Campground is the best CG in the Hiawassee, GA area for amenities and activities for small children. We will be traveling in a 39' FW in June - August time frame. I've read the reviews but there wasn't much discussion about the amenities.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2019, 06:49 PM   #2

I can't help in reference to Georgia mountain fair campground but my practice when I am seeking information on anything is just to Google it, you will find many times it will show threads that are on irv2. I Googled your question and your thread was a choice.

As far as Hiawassee Ga we stayed at Bald Mountain campground, really liked it. Personal friend recommended it, our kids are grown but if they were young and had been there they would have had a good time. They have a putt putt golf, a private pond that can be fished, very pretty around there.

There is a place I believe it is called Bald Mountain lookout you can see for miles and can actually see the campground from it. Just south is the town of Helen it is a town to mimic a Bavarian town, tubing for the kids
Have fun wherever you choose.
pop-sicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:06 PM   #3

We have stayed at the fairgrounds and there werenít many amenities. We took the grandkids for a week and went to Bald Mountain campground and had a great time.

As an aside you might want to think about what route you take. There was a thread or two on that. The road over to Helen goes over the mountains and while I have gone that way some people are not comfortable with it.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:29 PM   #4

Here’s a recent thread with thoughts on roads in the area.....

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/north...ia-431030.html

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:01 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Here’s a recent thread with thoughts on roads in the area.....

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/north...ia-431030.html

Regards
Yes, I've read that one. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark99 View Post
We have stayed at the fairgrounds and there weren’t many amenities. We took the grandkids for a week and went to Bald Mountain campground and had a great time.

As an aside you might want to think about what route you take. There was a thread or two on that. The road over to Helen goes over the mountains and while I have gone that way some people are not comfortable with it.
So I guess you much preferred Bald Mountain CG. This is good to know. Any insight on better sections or camp sites? Thanks.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:14 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are headed to Mountainview Campground, Hiawassee, Ga mid April. It will be our first visit. The campground gets great reviews.

Patrick
Bosunmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:35 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosunmate View Post
We are headed to Mountainview Campground, Hiawassee, Ga mid April. It will be our first visit. The campground gets great reviews.

Patrick
It looks like a really nice CG except it doesn't seem to have a lot of activities / amenities for the grandkids.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:02 AM   #8

We were in 240 something which I selected to be close to playground. Of course grandkids liked the playground across the street better! It was only a short walk to it. Other than that I canít really tell you the difference between different areas. We did return to watch the eclipse and were in site 12.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:01 AM   #9
doc

Appalachian Campers
We have stayed at the Georgia Mountain CG. It is on Lake Chatuge. The sites are on a pretty steep hillside and some work all right and others not so much- too narrow. The roads are paved. There was problems with the wiring when we were there. As a result we don't care for the place.
A better CG is River Bend close to town, yet on the banks of the Hiawassee River. Riverbend Campground - Hiawassee GA
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:23 AM   #10

Yonah is the campground just south of Helen.....be there in Sept...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:03 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Yonah is the campground just south of Helen.....be there in Sept...
Yonah Mountain Camping Resort?
Old 03-14-2019, 11:14 AM   #12

Yes.....Forest River guys are having a rally there, and I'm going....Sept 11/16th...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:48 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Yes.....Forest River guys are having a rally there, and I'm going....Sept 11/16th...
I was born, reared and educated in Georgia, so I'm very familiar with the Helen area although I haven't been there in 30 years. I remember when it had only a couple of shops in 'town' but the last time I was by there it was an overwhelming tourist mess. Don't really want to return, prefer to remember it the way it was. Otherwise, the broader area is very nice with lots of beautiful sites to see if you like the outdoors. And if not, Atlanta is just down the road.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:21 PM   #14

We stayed at Bald Mountain and really enjoyed it.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, campground