Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2020, 03:37 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyG View Post
From Valdosta:
US 84 to Waycross; US 1 to I-20; I-20 to Columbia; I-77 to I-81; I-81 to Scranton; I-84 through Hartford to the Mass. Pike; I-495 near Worcester to I-95; I-295 through Portland, then when and where you want the coastal highway (US 1).
Driven that basic route--though not from Valdosta--several times.

What he said, we just did this returning from Florida. I think you go through Natural Bridge, We stay at a KOA, went to Natural Bridge Park and went to some caves there too.
MainelyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2020, 03:49 PM   #44

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
All the posts that suggest using the I 80 numbers around the cities is the way to go. If you are planning an extended trip there is plenty of nice areas to visit along the way.
I recently dropped EZ Pass from NJ because of their $1.00 fee each month. This was accessed years ago to cover the no bid contract over runs.
I replaced it with the North Carolina Quick Pass with EZ Pass. This will work in all states that honor EZ Pass and Sun Pass. To avoid any added fees due too not getting home in time to pay, sign up for auto replenishment with a set amount like $25.00.

www.ncquickpass.com 1 877-769-7277
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:56 PM   #45

Native New Englander here so if you have specific area questions drop me a PM. Lot of good route advice already so I'll let you collect it and see if you have more questions. I'll just add these comments:
- Most of the Northeast use automated tolls (no toll booths) which means you get a bill in the mail that is a higher charge so definitely get a transponder that works up here is the way to go.
- There are scenic routes, and highway routes. I didn't catch you stating a preference, but it will make a big difference in time and traffic. Scenic routes like MA Rt2 (NY to I495) and NH Rt101 (I-91 to I95)will take more time, but far less traffic. (They both have a couple of steep climbs)
- Route timing - If you are anywhere near NYC, Boston, Hartford, MA-NH-Maine Corridor, and I-93/I-95/I-84/I-495 between those places during commute hours, you will hit heavy traffic, often bumper-to-bumper, will add multiple hours to trip. That said, who knows what the Covid-19 lockdown effect on traffic will be when you finally depart.

Happy to help more when you narrow down the options you prefer.
dan596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 04:00 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky H View Post
Looking to make a trip from south Georgia to Coastal Maine. Looking for some tips on how best to travel such a trip. Interstate 95 is obvious path. Looking also to have rv sites spaced along the trip at roughly 360 miles/ day. Thinking getting through some of the larger cities, there might be better alternative routes???? Need roads appropriate for 36' diesel pusher with toad.
I was doing seemingly well with planning until I got around New York area as far as overnight stay possibilites. Also no clue how long it will take me to get through these larger cities. Do I need to give myself extra hour (or more) driving time?
Thank you for any and all help. Greatly appreciate any little tip.
Vicky
We live in Sylvester, Ga. We have been going to Maine since 1990 and just the past 9 years by RV. You will want to AVOID the big cities. Here is how we go, I 85 to Charlotte, take I 77 north to Wyiethville, Va., then take I 84 all the way to Scranton, Pa., then I 84 across New York into Mass,. then take I 290 to I 495 around Boston, then take I 95 up into Maine. To see some photos go to my Facebook page and look at the albums and/or message me ! Love Maine! My name is Charles Cowles (do you know Mike Welsh from Valdosta?)
grannypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 04:30 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck&Pam View Post
Not sure which side of GA you’re on. We live near Charlotte and always go up the Shenandoah Valley. If you want to stick to the interstates that will be I-77, I-81, and I-88 then across northern Mass or through Vermont and New Hampshire. Beautiful scenery and much less traffic.

Even if you are east Ga you can take 95to 26 to 77.
We did the same thing a couple of years ago, made for a fantastic trip. We are in South Carolina.
LenF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 04:32 PM   #48

Thinking the RV world has come to a screeching halt for the time being. Things are changing and will not be the same for a long time. I just got my cancellation notice from Recreation.gov for a trip we had planned in May. I think it’s the first of many cancellations to come. Realistically getting ready for summer here in Florida...uggg. Hoping to start our long planned summer travel in September perhaps. Giving up the Western part because to drive out there and have it all shut down because of a second wave would leave us stranded on the road. No state wants visitors coming in possibly bringing the virus.
Wench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 04:35 PM   #49

Made the trip many times, sort of. We are in CT just off I-84.
From GA North, I-81 to I-84. Going north from CT we go a slightly different way, for you it would be stay on I-84 to I-9o (MA pike, about i5 mi.) to I-290, I-495 to I-95. From there it depends on where you want to go in ME. The only tolls are for bridges and that short run on the MA pike.

For tolls we use EZ-pass. I got through VA as CT does not have tolls. It covers most of the East coast. I wasn't happy at putting money into the account up front but in the long run it is no big deal. It beats waiting in line to pay tolls. With the new systems you just slow down a bit and cruise though the automatic scanning system.
As for CG's there are many along that route. For overnights we try to find SP's as the CG's hit you with a hefty fee. Our second choice is Wally Mart or a rest area.
Happy trails
Treker Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 04:41 PM   #50

X10 on GuyG route . There are multiple crossovers from 95 to 81 just take one of them before Washington. Just be aware you are traveling the Appalation Mountain Range and will encounter lot of hills. Try not to use the slow truck lane as when it ends or if you encounter a slow truck its tough to get out in traffic.Cant help on campgrounds they are usually all closed when we travel it. Have a great trip and there is lots to see in the Maritime provinces if you want to go a bit farther. As Far as 95 in New Work State ,avoid at all costs.I paid $89.75 for MH and toad just to cross the George Washington bridge last spring.Thought I would try a flatter route. Didn't work out so well.
Old 04-16-2020, 05:03 PM   #51

We really like US-17:thru GA, SC and NC into VA. It’s a bit longer but much more scenic. Somewhere around Newport News you can cut over to Richmond and then make your way to I-81. We pick up I-84 in Scranton and take it across the Hudson, where we make an Overnite stop at CB Campground (Cracker Barrel)!

We use the North Carolina Quik Pass for all our tolls up and down the entire east coast. No way I would ever consider paying cash for tolls...way too much time. But in fact most of the toll booths have converted to Bill your license plate. Then you get grumpy letters from the various states. Get the pass!
rwp48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 05:08 PM   #52

Should you decide to do the I95 route, I recommend taking I295 around Richmond. Depending on the time of day, I doubt you will save any time, but it is such an easier drive.

If you have time, I highly recommend turning east off of I295 on to I10 and visiting Williamsburg and all the historical sites nearby. There are good campgrounds in the area and the historical lesson can’t be beat.

Drive Safely.
RangerFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 05:13 PM   #53

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgia to Maine Trip

Make your way to 81. There are several nice stops along the way. From there get to 84 east. Only 1 toll in Newburg NY for the bridge. When you get to the Mass Pike, they do toll by mail, so you're good. From there, you make your way eventually back to 95. There are a few tolls, nothing crazy. I have ezpass and it covers most everything. I got it online from New Hampshire.. no monthly fees!!

Safe travels!!
Rob_Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 05:19 PM   #54

Toll in the North East and mid-West

Quote:
Looking to make a trip from south Georgia to Coastal Maine. Looking for some tips on how best to travel such a trip. Interstate 95 is obvious path. Looking also to have rv sites spaced along the trip at roughly 360 miles/ day. Thinking getting through some of the larger cities, there might be better alternative routes???? Need roads appropriate for 36' diesel pusher with toad.
I was doing seemingly well with planning until I got around New York area as far as overnight stay possibilites. Also no clue how long it will take me to get through these larger cities. Do I need to give myself extra hour (or more) driving time?
Thank you for any and all help. Greatly appreciate any little tip.
Vicky
Vicky,
If you use the interstate routes 95 to 20 77 and on to your destination of Coastal Main I highly recommend you obtain an E Z Pass transponder from Ohio. It costs $0.75 per month and saves you around 25% on tolls and is accepted on all toll roads from Illinois to Maine and you don't have to stop in the toll booth, you just roll thru slowly at booth and some area have overhead readers so you continue at speed. here's a link to take you to the website: ohioturnpike.org/e-zpass safe trip!
JRoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 05:45 PM   #55

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Thank you. Very helpful.
We do a similar route from Baltimore but don’t like Harrisburg and Scranton. We get off 81 to Lancaster then 222 to 22 (reading, Bethlehem) then 33N to 209 Just before Easton. 209 runs through a watershed park, 2 lanes but moves nicely. Joins 84 west of Port Jervis. Miles wise less than Harrisburg /Scranton- time wise close. Have used it 4 times so far and will do it end of July if things open up.
Mowog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 06:06 PM   #56

The word around the campfire in New England that the extra time it takes to travel the inland route equals the time you will spend in traffic on 95. Also, absolutely use EZ Pass. The Tapan Zee Bridge, now the Mario Cuomo bridge, has been replaced with a new wider gorgeous bridge, much less intimidating than the former bridge, if you choose that route.
derosacamp is offline   Reply With Quote