Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2019, 09:09 AM   #1

Getting to Bar Harbor

Planning a trip to the Bar Harbor area in September or October from NW Ohio. Eventually I will hit 95 going north. I was thinking of exiting 95 at Brunswick, ME and following US1 north to Ellsworth then head south down into Bar Harbor.

Is US1 an acceptable highway for a 30' MH with toad? Don't care about making time but it sure looks like a scenic route.

Would appreciate comments from those of you who are familiar with this route.
TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2019, 10:25 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCollins View Post
Planning a trip to the Bar Harbor area in September or October from NW Ohio. Eventually I will hit 95 going north. I was thinking of exiting 95 at Brunswick, ME and following US1 north to Ellsworth then head south down into Bar Harbor.

Is US1 an acceptable highway for a 30' MH with toad? Don't care about making time but it sure looks like a scenic route.

Ye, by all means take this route. September or October traffic should not be too bad and there’s lots more to see on this route than staying on the interstate. Stop in Camden and take the toad to the top of Mt Battie for a spectacular view of Camden Harbor and the coast. You will not regret it!
Old 03-03-2019, 10:46 AM   #3
IC2

US 1 is fine but be aware that if you enter the state in the Kittery area that travel can be kinda slow as there are quite a few towns. I would NOT go through Portland on US 1 but pick up I95/295 and bypass then pick up US 1 at Freeport (think LL Bean and a great place to spend some time and lots of money). From Freeport to Bar Harbor - clear sailing. The road from US1 to Bar Harbor is easily navigated but is twisty and can be very slow, especially on a weekend. Bar Harbor is tough to navigate though years back did it towing a 35' 5th wheel
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:11 PM   #4

That’s exactly what we did last September. We got off 95 in the Boothbay Area and stayed at Shores Hill Campground for one night. Then headed north to Acadia on Route 1 with our 32 ft coach towing a Jeep. It was very easy, no traffic and much more scenic than 95.
Gladie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCollins View Post

US 1 should be just fine in Sept., and it will be scenic, but do expect it to be a little tight in places like Rockland, Camden, and even Bucksport. In the summer you would hit some backups in places like Wiscasset (be sure to stop at Red's Eats there, if it's open).
There's so much to see along that whole US 1 route to Ellsworth that it's impossible to list it all. Almost every town on and near US 1 has cool stuff. Bath, Boothbay Harbor, Rockland, Camden, and more. Be sure to check out the observatory at the new Penobscot Narrows Bridge, too.
We're doing that route in early June, with a couple of nights at Shore Hills (Boothbay), and a week at Bucksport (KOA). We have family near there, and it's easy to get to both Acadia/Bar Harbor and Bangor.
2 years ago did that in mid Oct., unfortunately after all the campgrounds closed. Fall foliage is cool.
Good luck!
Roger
Old 03-03-2019, 09:16 PM   #6

Don't forget to stop at "Red's Eats" on Rt 1 in Wiscasset ME. Best lobstah rolls in the world. Its on the left at the bottom of the hill.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancslad View Post
Don't forget to stop at "Red's Eats" on Rt 1 in Wiscasset ME. Best lobstah rolls in the world. Its on the left at the bottom of the hill.
Yeah, and it's also kinda hard to miss with the lines around the block!

Roger
Old 03-04-2019, 06:32 AM   #8

we do that route every year in our 43'mh towing a pickup . No issues
PanJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 12:19 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We did that trip last Sept as well, except taking I-95 to route 3 to Ellsworth then onto Bar Harbor. What ever you do don't let the Visitor Center in Bar Harbor direct you to drive your RV thru downtown Bar Harbor to get to our campground the Blackwoods Campground. I should have known better. Even in Sept. Bar Harbor was busy and has very narrow streets.

Use the free national park shuttle bus as it saves the headache of finding a parking spot both in downtown Bar Harbor and inside the park along the coastal road.

Route 1 north of Acadia NP. did have some rough road sections and two major construction zones. We did two weeks in Acadia and then a week in New Brunswick Canada. Made it a 6 week trip from our home in NE. Ohio.

Would I plan another Acadia trip? Yes. Would I do it in the summer? No way, I couldn't imagine the summer season traffic from Bucksport / Ellsworth and then south into the Mt. Desert Peninsula...Especially loved our second week at Schoodic Woods National Park Campground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5217.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	236823   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5167.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	312.9 KB
ID:	236826  

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 12:23 PM   #10
doc

Appalachian Campers
What IC2 said
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:01 PM   #11

I live here and truthfully September and October are best time to drive Route One. You should have no trouble getting around with your rig and you’ll certainly see more of the coast!
MainelyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
We did that trip last Sept as well, except taking I-95 to route 3 to Ellsworth then onto Bar Harbor. What ever you do don't let the Visitor Center in Bar Harbor direct you to drive your RV thru downtown Bar Harbor to get to our campground the Blackwoods Campground. I should have known better. Even in Sept. Bar Harbor was busy and has very narrow streets.

Use the free national park shuttle bus as it saves the headache of finding a parking spot both in downtown Bar Harbor and inside the park along the coastal road.

Route 1 north of Acadia NP. did have some rough road sections and two major construction zones. We did two weeks in Acadia and then a week in New Brunswick Canada. Made it a 6 week trip from our home in NE. Ohio.

Would I plan another Acadia trip? Yes. Would I do it in the summer? No way, I couldn't imagine the summer season traffic from Bucksport / Ellsworth and then south into the Mt. Desert Peninsula...Especially loved our second week at Schoodic Woods National Park Campground.
What he said, 100%
Old 03-10-2019, 04:04 PM   #13

Quote:

What IC2 said, 100% 👍
Old 03-19-2019, 07:12 AM   #14

Quote:

I was looking at staying in Acadia National Park this June. They still had openings for a up to a 35 foot MH, but all of the sites said 11 foot height clearance. We are at 12' 3" to the top of the AC. Comments in Alstays say that many sites are OK up to 14 feet, but nothing says which those might be. I hate to book anything when I might not be able to use it. Any firsthand knowledge appreciated.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote