Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2018, 09:50 AM   #1

Glacier National Park timing

we are planning to head west from Miami the beginning of May or earlier with plans to pretty much drive through to southern California, up coast HW to San Francisco, cut over to Yosemite, then back to the coast and up to Washington then over to Glacier NP, then south through Yellowstone and Grand Tetons and then to tour Colorado, mostly the SW area, and them maybe to Arches and Canyon Lands, then back home. With lots of stops at different parks.
The question is how soon can expect to get into Glacier without major snow or cold? Another option is to come over US 40, explore Colorado first, head north to Glacier then west to the coast and south to LA, then east to home. Estimating about 6 weeks on the road.
Any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated.
rjspillane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2018, 10:01 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjspillane View Post
The question is how soon can expect to get into Glacier without major snow or cold?
May/June or even July for higher elevation roads. Going to the Sun road could be shut down anytime of the summer as travel on it is very weather dependant. The way the spring is going this year plan on sometime between early to mid-August.

Edited to add: Park info
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:16 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Wow - all that in 6 weeks? We are doing a lot of the west this summer as well, but we are taking 6 months to do it! In 2016 we did a lot of the National Parks out west, and just grazed the surface in 5 months!
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:20 AM   #4

Plan your trip so you hit the northern spots (Glacier) last.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:27 AM   #5

Each national park has a great web site. Check them out for lots of good information on weather, roads, special alerts, camping and things to do.

On Glacier's site there's a PDF clicky which will give you past history on opening/closing dates.

Taking the last 10 years the earliest the Going to the Sun Road opened was June 26 and the latest it opened was July 2.

The earliest it closed was Sept. 18 and the latest Oct 20.

As you know, weather is not predictable. You'll definitely want to be there when the Going to the Sun Road is open because that's the highlight of the park. Keep in mind, also, that wildfires in the West occur usually in late summer so you might have to plan around that, also, but hopefully not.

I think if you could plan for Glacier NP between July 1 and Oct 1 you'd be o.k.

https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/gtsrinfo.htm
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:00 AM   #6

Thanks to all for the input. Looks like we will have to skip Glacier this year.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:23 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi rjspillane,
Hope this is not too late for you to read. The bottom line on glacier is to plan your visit for August or early September if you hike the high elevation trails (like Grinnell Glacier or Iceberg Lake). If you do windshield stops or low elevation hikes, one can add late July into the acceptable timeframe. Consider staying on the east side of the park. St. Mary has a KOA that is a perfect place to stay. Mountain views from your site, about 1 1/2 miles to the park entrance and the east side is where the trail heads for many, many trails (that are not in the forests) are at.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:48 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
All good info here. I might add Glacier to our return from Alaska next summer. That would put me in the neighborhood of Sept. 10 - 14 arrival. On the National Park website what campgrounds would one stay at? Apgar, Rising Sun.

I notice most of the campsites in the park are first come first serve. 29' trailer trailer. Would like to spend 4-5 days in the park. On the natioal park website it shows at what time of day the campground "Filled" at. Doesn't seem to be an issue once you get past Labor Day Weekend.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:07 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
We prefer the west side of Glacier NP. There is so much more to do than on the east side. KOA about 2 miles to the entrance. Also a nice park is Columbia Falls RV park, in Columbia Falls.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:12 AM   #10
M2D

We stayed on labor day weekend for five days last year at the St. Mary's KOA. There was some smoke there from the fires in the park. We were able to take the red bus on the Saturday for the full length of the GTTSR. The next morning the west side of the road up to Logan Pass closed due to the fires.

We stayed on the west side for three days at Columbia Falls park mentioned earlier. We had a repair done there. When we reached the west side on Monday the west entrance to the park was closed due to the fires.

We were grateful for what we had been able to do/see but you are at the mercy of mother nature all the while.
M2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:20 AM   #11

Thanks to everyone for your valuable input. It looks like for this year we will have to skip glacier. Maybe next trip.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:09 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks to OP for this thread and to all who have answered. Hubs and I are also planning our (bucket-list) trip to Glacier. I was shooting for 4-6 wks beginning late May to early June, 2019 but looks like I may need to re-think by about 2 months.

As we're fairly new to RV'g and are not truly active yet on forums, if adding my request to an active post is not appropriate, my apologies.

I have us leaving No. GA and just kinda heading northwest thru the middle of the country (TN - KY - IL or IA to SD, where we will revisit parts of our 2006 m/c cruise to the HOG rally in Billings MT. But, I haven't found many what I would call interesting places and/or events along that route.

We have a cruise planned in 6 wks to visit a wolf preserve in the FL panhandle (so no need for wolf preserve southwest of St. Louis). We have done the "moonbow" and the Corvette Museum in KY and, having grown up there, I know Memphis and surrounds only to well.

Does anyone have suggestions along the currently anticipated route to break up the trip? We are extremely flexible, both as to time and distance, and I really, really do not want to think about driving/boondocking the roughly 1,350 miles b/t Chattanooga TN and The Badlands SD.

Thanks.
Micki-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjspillane View Post
we are planning to

head west from Miami the beginning of

May or earlier with plans to pretty much

drive through to southern California,

up coast HW to

San Francisco, cut over

to Yosemite, then

back to the coast and up to

Washington then over

to Glacier NP, then

south through Yellowstone and Grand Tetons and

then to tour Colorado, mostly the SW area, and them

maybe to Arches and Canyon Lands, then back home.

With lots of stops at different parks.

The question is how soon can expect to get into Glacier without major snow or cold?

Another option is to come over US 40,

explore Colorado first,

head north to Glacier

then west to the coast and

south to LA, then

east to home.

Estimating about 6 weeks on the road.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Ambitious to say the least even without Glacier - Info to help with Glacier - https://www.nps.gov/glac/learn/news/...-6-26-2017.pdf

Appears you have only eliminated Glacier.

Have you done a Map of your trip?

Might be smart - Long Drive to the Pacific - I'd think long and Hard about making it worthwhile.

Week out and week back - leaving 4 weeks, sound about right? - California has more to see than you will even Imagine.

https://www.nps.gov/state/ca/list.htm?program=parks

List of parks located in California

https://californiathroughmylens.com/...nal-monuments/

9 Great National Parks | Visit California

Now add Oregon and Washington - throw in the Pacific - LA - San Fran - a winery or two, or more :-)

So IMHO I think you need a little more Focus on this Big Trip - See more - Enjoy More - Just Drive less.

Next year do the Rockies and in the Fall after the Aspen ( https://lynn.smugmug.com/Travel/Colo...pens/i-tsVRkXg ) catch Utah.

It's a long drive from Florida, make it Count.

JMHO,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micki-D View Post
Thanks to OP for this thread and to all who have answered. Hubs and I are also planning our (bucket-list) trip to Glacier. I was shooting for 4-6 wks beginning late May to early June, 2019 but looks like I may need to re-think by about 2 months.

As we're fairly new to RV'g and are not truly active yet on forums, if adding my request to an active post is not appropriate, my apologies.

I have us leaving No. GA and just kinda heading northwest thru the middle of the country (TN - KY - IL or IA to SD, where we will revisit parts of our 2006 m/c cruise to the HOG rally in Billings MT. But, I haven't found many what I would call interesting places and/or events along that route.

We have a cruise planned in 6 wks to visit a wolf preserve in the FL panhandle (so no need for wolf preserve southwest of St. Louis). We have done the "moonbow" and the Corvette Museum in KY and, having grown up there, I know Memphis and surrounds only to well.

Does anyone have suggestions along the currently anticipated route to break up the trip? We are extremely flexible, both as to time and distance, and I really, really do not want to think about driving/boondocking the roughly 1,350 miles b/t Chattanooga TN and The Badlands SD.

Thanks.
Just a suggestion - Start your own Post.

Just makes it easier and it will be better to address your questions.

KISS - the simpler the question the better the chance for an answer that helps.

Keep it Focused - Have a Mission.

The "Cruise" has me confused - is it a "Land Yacht" ????

Few things we have learned in the 50 years plus doing this - Seasons are Important -

Elevation is Critical -

Timing helps -

State Parks are often Missed, but are still crowded.

You need to be thinking Boondocking as the reservation system is usually FuLL.

Hope this helps,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, alaska trip, national