Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2023, 09:46 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Glacier National Park vehicle reservations open Feb. 1

Glacier National Park is reminding visitors that 2023 vehicle reservations become available on Wednesday, Feb. 1. Reservations can be made on https://www.recreation.gov/ at 8 a.m.

Vehicle reservations will be available through two types of booking windows: approximately four months in advance and 24 hours in advance. The 24-hour advanced reservations will become available on May 25, 2023 at 8 a.m.

Reservations are required for Going-to-the-Sun Road west side entrances and the North Fork area from May 26-Sept. 10 for entry between 6 a.m. and 3 p.m. Reservations for Going-to-the-Sun Road are good for three days. North Fork reservations are good for one day.

Beginning July 1, a vehicle reservation will be required to access Going-to-the-Sun Road from the Rising Sun check point. Visitors will have access to the St. Mary Visitor Center and park shuttle outside of the vehicle reservation area.

Take care,
Stu
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2023, 12:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post

Glacier National Park is reminding visitors that 2023 vehicle reservations become available on Wednesday, Feb. 1. Reservations can be made on https://www.recreation.gov/ at 8 a.m.
Here's another article:

https://www.nationalparkstraveler.or...open-wednesday
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 12:14 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
That's a good change from last year. We were there last August and the only time reservations were available was the day before you wanted to make entry.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 12:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
That's a good change from last year. We were there last August and the only time reservations were available was the day before you wanted to make entry.
They had a similar system in place last year. The advanced tickets sold out within five minutes. I must admit I am part of the problem. I live in the area. I try to buy a ticket once every week so I have a pass available should I have visitors . Peak season is basically end of June thru end of August so I am only buying 11 passes. At two bucks a piece I’m only out $22.00 if I toss them all away.
Bigceasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 12:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigceasar View Post
At two bucks a piece I’m only out $22.00 if I toss them all away.
Yes, but you're keeping 11 others from getting a pass.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 01:02 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
POSSIBLE Glacier National Park entry hack

In years past, various Glacier National Park (GNP) concessions (hotels and boat trips) had very liberal cancellation policies. Up to 72 hours prior to your reservation, you could cancel with a full refund. Shortly after making a reservation, you would receive email confirmation of that reservation.

GNP would set up a checkpoint a short distance prior to the park entry point where you would be required to present proof of a reservation in order to pass. Showing a printed copy of the confirmation email was sufficient.

So, if you were to make a reservation for a boat tour or a hotel for a specific date and print that email confirmation and then cancel that reservation, you would receive a full refund for that cancellation. Keeping the printed copy of the confirmation email would enable you to present it at the checkpoint to gain park entry. Once inside the park, you’re free to move about at your pleasure for the day.

Your cancelled reservation would then become available for someone else so that no one was denied the opportunity to make a reservation for that hotel or boat tour.

I haven’t checked the cancellation policy for the coming year. You would be well advised to check that before you try to employ this strategy.

Take care,
Stu
Old 01-31-2023, 01:13 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Glacier Boat tour costs

Even if you don't cancel, a boat reservation for 1 is not very expensive compared the gas/diesel cost in getting there. It's around $25.

Regards, Jerry
Old 01-31-2023, 01:42 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryP View Post
Even if you don't cancel, a boat reservation for 1 is not very expensive compared the gas/diesel cost in getting there. It's around $25.

Regards, Jerry
I know that it's contrary to the RV mindset...BUT...we've very much enjoyed staying overnight in several of the park hotels.

Also, I'd offer that the Red Bus Tours (https://www.glaciernationalparklodges.com/red-bus-tours) are an excellent way to enjoy the park. IF you fancy taking a walk at the visitor center on Logan Pass, finding a parking spot in the parking lot there is virtually impossible. The Red Bus Tours have reserved parking there.

Take care,
Stu
Old 01-31-2023, 04:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Yes, but you're keeping 11 others from getting a pass.
They didn’t ask me for input when they came up with the plan. One of the rules is the person who is on the reservation must be in the vehicle. I can’t even give them away if I knew someone who wanted to go. I do it because one of the reasons friends and family do visit is to see the park and not all of them have the ability to plan many months n advance.
I’m my perfect world the park would sell a limited number of any day passes. Sell them in booklets of five . Each one good for one day . I would gladly pay $100 or more for the certainty I could get in if visitors came. It would also get the park ten times the ticket revenue.
Bigceasar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national