RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2019, 12:32 PM   #15

When we drove to Alaska for the first time in 2011, we stayed a couple of days inside the park about the first of June(east side). Since the road was partially closed, we explored the east side pretty well, taking many walking trails.
On our return trip home in mid July, they had just opened the road all the way and since I didn't feel like driving anymore that day, I decided to take one of the green buses ( as I remember,they were free). On our way to the Pass, we stopped a few times to see animals or other points of interest and we only had a few other passengers on board. At the pass, the other passengers got off the bus to catch one going west, and my wife and I were then the only passengers left to go back east. The bus driver stopped anywhere we wanted for a short time and at one point she even let me out to take a picture, since there was no traffic behind us in the late afternoon. We walked back to the campsite from the visitor center. I'd rather stay in the parks and only stay at koa's as a last resort.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2019, 12:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post

If you are talking about the Red Buses, they are definitely not free. $55 per person.

Are there other buses that run "to the top"? (Logan's Pass)
The red buses are tour buses and yes, they cost. The green buses are free shuttles. Ride them as often as you want and get off when you want to do some hiking or whatever. They go up to Logan Pass. We always took them from the west side. I'm not sure from the east side. Look at the park's web site for definite information.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:54 PM   #17

If staying at West Glacier KOA , what’s the best route going south to I90. Will be heading to east Montana.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
If staying at West Glacier KOA , what’s the best route going south to I90. Will be heading to east Montana.
We've taken either 93 or 83. Both are good.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
The red buses are tour buses and yes, they cost. The green buses are free shuttles. Ride them as often as you want and get off when you want to do some hiking or whatever. They go up to Logan Pass. We always took them from the west side. I'm not sure from the east side. Look at the park's web site for definite information.
The green buses turn around at the pass. If you want to go from the west to east or vice versa, you need to change bus.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:32 PM   #20

Thanks to all from the OP

Thanks to all of you for the great information. If all goes well we'll buy a new to us FW in Alberta during the winter and pick it up in May. That accounts for the the early season visit to Glacier which will be our first stop after picking it up. Our plan from that point is to head over to Yellowstone and the Tetons. Then head south to southern Utah to see Zion and the other NP's down there. Not sure where we'll go from there but will have several weeks to take a slow drive back home to NC.

We're open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks again !
redfisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, alaska trip