Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2019, 11:55 AM   #1

Glacier Nat'l Park - Late May

I'm considering camping around this park in late May. We'll be entering from the east side. I'll be in a 35' FW. Looking for input on suggested campgrounds with full hookups if available. Are the roads generally passable at that time of the year. I noticed many of the park CG's don't open until June.

Thanks !
redfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2019, 12:00 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi redfisher,
For me you are too early in the year to enjoy most of Glacier. Going To The Sun Road, high elevation trails, etc will be closed due to snow. There is a KOA in St Mary. This is where I stay. Do not know when they open. The KOA is less then 2 miles from the park entrance.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:20 PM   #3

Not sure when it opens, but we are staying at the West Glacier KOA in late June for our visit. Reviews say it's one of the nicest KOA's in the country, and it is right next to the West Entrance to Glacier Park.

A quick call to them could tell you when they open, and maybe some predictions about travel into the park in May.
Logan Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:45 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We generally stay on the west side and have only stayed on the east side once. There are less choices for RV parks/campgrounds on the east side, possible only the one. We stayed at St Mary's KOA on the east side and it was ok, again we prefer the west side.

As for the roads, May is a bit early but doable. Going to the Sun highway won't be open. We've been in June before and once it was open and the other times it was not due to too much snow. When we have gone in July we haven't had an issue with it being closed.

May is still a pretty time to go as long as you realize you won't be able to go over the Logan Pass.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:30 PM   #5

Here's information on the park's web site. Going to the Sun Rd. varies but usually late June/early July opening.

https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/hours.htm
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 03:47 AM   #6

We stayed at the West Glacier KOA in 2014 and it is a really nice park! We were there in late may and the road to St. Mary's was still closed.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:32 AM   #7

Are there different things to see at both the East and West entrance. I understand the "Going to the Sun" road is the highlight, but what else. I am leaning toward staying a few nights at each entrance. I would roughly get there around the first of June. I am not a big fan of driving steep mountain passes even in the car. Add the factor of maybe having bumper to bumper traffic I could do without the "Going to the Sun" road. I think we would enjoy some short (less than 5 miles) hikes into nature more than riding around in the car.

The East KOA opens on May 1, 2019 and the West KOA opens on May 15, 2019. Our trip will not be until 2020.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:26 AM   #8

We stayed at Glacier Meadow Campground in Essex, arriving May 26,2015 and spent three nights there. Full hookups, very level, clean bathrooms, nice people at checkin, nice views, saw three elk in the field. One day was glorious sun, even taking the top off our Jeep. On day was drizzle. Going to the Sun was closed. Going to Glacier was not on our list of places to see, but why not, we were passing thru on our way to Alaska. So being there was a bonus with or without Going to the Sun. We were away from home 105 days and just “ winged it” everywhere, no reservations. there were no traffic issues/crowds in Glacier.
Gladie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:31 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi reubenray,
Per your last post the east side is for you. The KOA is about 1-2 miles from the Visitors Center to Glacier NP. Like you I can do without Going To The Sun Road. The east side offers many, many trail choices. Both low and high elevation choices are available. There is a book one can buy at the visitors center to provide details about the trails. All different trails are available. Relatively flat to mountainous, forest and mountain and lake views on the east side. Native Americans give a story and dance program once a week at the east side visitors center. Check with the ranger for the day and time. Animals galore. This is the only place (east side) where I've had and encounter with a big horn sheep, a Grizzly bear and black bear all in the same week! The big horn sheep encounter was a bit much and more harrowing that the bear encounters. Before anyone thinks I encouraged the encounters, think again. In all three situations they found and approached me! Must be the after shave. I was on approved and marked trails. I say this so you will have your bear bells, bear horn and bear spray before venturing out on a trail. I digress. There is a guided boat tour one can take around one of the lakes.

Outside the NP there is a gas station (with diesel), grocery store and shopping (treasure shopping). Also, there several local owned restaurants that serve some of the best steak dinners (at the turn off for the side road to many of the trail heads).

I'm not looking for the outstanding CG with all the amenities. I'm looking for area activities that I do not find anywhere else. The mountain views from your CG are breath taking. You can not cut through the park with your 5er. One must go around the park.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfisher View Post
I'm considering camping around this park in late May. We'll be entering from the east side. I'll be in a 35' FW. Looking for input on suggested campgrounds with full hookups if available. Are the roads generally passable at that time of the year. I noticed many of the park CG's don't open until June.

Thanks !
Not to be off topic but I'd suggest it will be more fun in September at the end of the season rather than before it really opens,

Sorry but I've been early and missed going to the Sun Road and IMHO that is one thing that SHOULD NOT BE MISSED! (Lucky for me I've been more than just once so I've done it - even did it once in my old Class A before it was restricted - that was FUN!)

Also to see the Lakes - Clear and Blue is just Special...............

Sorry I am not a CG person can only remember a few in all the US .......So

Enjoy your trip - see more not Less.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:41 AM   #11

Yes, the Going to the Sun Rd. should definitely be included in your plans. You don't have to drive it yourself; from the West side there are free shuttles to take you to the top. We enjoyed it. We stayed at Apgar C.G. in the park and could walk to the bus stop, to the visitor center and to a small store for ice cream. Take the bus a short distance and get off and do a hike and re-board and to the same; or just ride straight to the top. I don't know if they run from the East side up there. There's also the option of taking the small tour cars for a fee which will give you other highlights of the area. But definitely get up there somehow!!

The West side has more businesses in small towns if you like to poke around - gift shops, groceries, restaurants and options for some easy scenic drives. The east side is more quiet and mainly for hiking. You can also go across the border easily from the east side to Glacier Canada. Read up on border crossings as to what to take and what not to take across.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:50 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Visiting Glacier N.P. when Going to the Sun Highway is closed, would be like visiting Grand Canyon N.P. and not seeing the canyon! A terrible shame to do this. I suggest that you change your dates, or choose another destination in May. As an aside, the Utah national parks (except possibly Bryce canyon) are awesome in May.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Visiting Glacier N.P. when Going to the Sun Highway is closed, would be like visiting Grand Canyon N.P. and not seeing the canyon! A terrible shame to do this. I suggest that you change your dates, or choose another destination in May. As an aside, the Utah national parks (except possibly Bryce canyon) are awesome in May.
Totally agree!!

Bryce will be cool, not cold and there will be no snow in May... maybe. This is prime hiking weather.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:12 AM   #14
doc

Appalachian Campers
"Yes, the Going to the Sun Rd. should definitely be included in your plans. You don't have to drive it yourself; from the West side there are free shuttles to take you to the top. We enjoyed it. We stayed at Apgar C.G. in the park and could walk to the bus stop, to the visitor center and to a small store for ice cream. Take the bus a short distance and get off and do a hike and re-board and to the same; or just ride straight to the top."

If you are talking about the Red Buses, they are definitely not free. $55 per person.

Are there other buses that run "to the top"? (Logan's Pass)
doc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, alaska trip