Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2023, 04:17 PM   #1

Glacier Nat'l Park Summer Info

https://www.nationalparkstraveler.or...nd-information

Interesting that they'll have a spur-of-the-moment reservation option this year.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2023, 01:21 PM   #2

I'm really happy to read about the reservations system for our national parks. The most popular parks were being destroyed by overcrowding and people who are ignorant of how to act when visiting one.
The last time we visited Zion NP it was so crowded we couldn't enjoy our experience. It was most like a carnival atmosphere, consequently we haven't been back.
That reservation system for spur of the moment trips is a great idea for folks still working and/or with children in school.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 02:37 PM   #3

We were hoping to go to Glacier this summer, but sites inside the park are all gobbled up as soon as available, then if you stay outside of the park you need an entry pass to get in, and those are all gobbled up. All the hassles and fighting the crowds is not for me.
JK
Old 03-12-2023, 07:33 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkjavelin View Post
We were hoping to go to Glacier this summer, but sites inside the park are all gobbled up as soon as available, then if you stay outside of the park you need an entry pass to get in, and those are all gobbled up. All the hassles and fighting the crowds is not for me.
JK
Last year we went to Glacier NP. We had 2 of the vehicles passes for a total of 6 days on the Going to the Sun Road. The first pass was no good, it was July 10-12, they did not open the road until July 13th.

The vehicle reservation pass was not required after 4pm for the Road.

This year the NPS website says no pass required after 3pm:
https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvis...ketedentry.htm
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 07:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkjavelin View Post
JK
If you keep checking recreation.gov for openings, you might hit a cancellation. Might be worth a try, although no guarantees.

19' ETI Escape trailer
Rexlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 08:46 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexlion View Post
If you keep checking recreation.gov for openings, you might hit a cancellation.
In years past, the reservations cancellation policy was quite liberal. Any cancellation more than 72 hours prior would result in full refund.

That policy had the effect of motivating people to make reservations far in advance and allowing them, if they were unable to honor the reservation (for any reason), to cancel with a full refund.

I think that policy had the unintended consequence of driving many reservations cancellations in the week, or so, before the reservation date.

As an example, were I to try to make reservations for a hotel or boat tour in Glacier National Park for July 17th, I wouldn't be surprised to find no availability. Were I to recheck availability on July 10, 11 or 12 for July 17, I might find availability from a cancellation.

I know that doesn't do much good for your future planning. Still, it may offer some hope for admission a week, or so, before arrival.

Here's another observation. Last summer, the Park Service set up a check point about a mile before the park entrance to check that you had a "permit" for entry. A printed email of a reservation inside the park (hotel, boat tour, Red Bus Tour, etc.) inside the park for that day. Presenting that email allowed entry to the park. Importantly, there was NO CHECK whether the reservation had been cancelled. So, if you can't get an entry pass for the Going To The Sun Highway (no cost), you might be able to get (at some cost) a reservation for one of the hotels or boat tours for your desired date, print the confirmation and then cancel the reservation for a full refund. Keep the printed email confirmation for presentation at the checkpoint.

This observation is based on my observation of the process last summer.

BTW, I did NOT employ this (acquire a reservation and then cancel) technique. I was able to get last minute (three days prior) reservations at the Lake McDonald Lodge. Well worth the expense.

Take care,
Stu
Old 03-12-2023, 08:55 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
We were in Glacier late August 2022 and the reservation system didn't seem to make any difference. Every one of the pullouts, the parking lot at Logan Pass and everywhere else were totally packed the entire time we were there. It was vastly more crowded than the last time we were there about ten years ago.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 09:05 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
late August 2022 and the reservation system didn't seem to make any difference. Every one of the pullouts, the parking lot at Logan Pass and everywhere else were totally packed the entire time we were there.
I can't recommend more highly the Red Bus Tours (https://www.glaciernationalparklodges.com/red-bus-tours. They have reserved parking at various locations on the Going To the Sun Highway.

A bit 'pricey', but, well worth the expense.

Take care,
Stu
Old 03-12-2023, 09:12 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with 777 Driver on using the Red Bus Tour. It make the Going to the Sun hwy. so much more enjoyable. No worries about parking, hey have their own reserved spots. Plus you can enjoy the scenery without having to do any of the driving. Well worth the cost.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 08:06 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Last year we didn't use the Red Bus Tour, we rode the Spyder in the park. We got some great pics and videos from our camera system.

Top pic is from the Spyder's camera system, the bottom 2 from my camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022_0713_155802_656_FR.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	363.6 KB
ID:	388063   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1498.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	388064  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1672 (2).jpg
Views:	23
Size:	529.7 KB
ID:	388065  
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 03:10 PM   #11

I’m glad I did Glacier in 2021.
It was open on June 25th when we got there and we had 14 great days with the ticket system.
I'm sure they increased the number of tickets issued per day since because the whole 14 days the going to sun road was empty and easy to park everywhere.
One trip was enough for us.
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote