Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2022, 12:02 PM   #1

Glacier Red Bus Tours

Will be in Glacier for 5 days early July this year. Our tow vehicle is too large to travel on Going to the Sun.

From what I can see, pretty much all the Red Bus tours are the same route, they are just differing lengths?

Trying to determine which one to choose, and I think it may just be our appetite for how long to be sitting on a relatively hard bus bench?

We plan on leaving from the west side, for what that's worth. Will be moving halfway in the stay to the east side and plan on hiking to Many Glacier Hotel and Two Medicine Lake.
Tdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2022, 06:26 PM   #2

We were there in September this past year and loved taking the Red Bus tour. Guide was great, had a lot of knowledge of the area as I am sure they all do. Could really look around and not have to worry about watching the road. They also stop every so often so you can get out and take pictures and stretch. We were on the west side and the only pass we could get was the 1/2 day which went to Logan Pass and back but was fantastic. Would highly recommend.
Ben-Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 08:00 AM   #3

We were there 20+ years ago and, checking the specs of the Red buses, I realized some were built in 1937. This gave me some pause until I looked in the cab and saw a shift lever for the automatic transmission, then saw disc brakes under the front end. The "Jammer Busses", originally called that because the drivers clashed gears when shifting, had recently been mounted on class A motorhome chassis. The drive up to Logan Pass was wonderful, and I wonder what the mechanical condition is of the buses today?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben-Jo View Post
We were there in September this past year and loved taking the Red Bus tour. Guide was great, had a lot of knowledge of the area as I am sure they all do. Could really look around and not have to worry about watching the road. They also stop every so often so you can get out and take pictures and stretch. We were on the west side and the only pass we could get was the 1/2 day which went to Logan Pass and back but was fantastic. Would highly recommend.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 08:44 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdave View Post
Will be in Glacier for 5 days early July this year. Our tow vehicle is too large to travel on Going to the Sun.

From what I can see, pretty much all the Red Bus tours are the same route, they are just differing lengths?

Trying to determine which one to choose, and I think it may just be our appetite for how long to be sitting on a relatively hard bus bench?

We plan on leaving from the west side, for what that's worth. Will be moving halfway in the stay to the east side and plan on hiking to Many Glacier Hotel and Two Medicine Lake.
Well, let us know, we will be there about 2 weeks behind you. We are going to take at least one of the tours, if not a couple.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 09:04 AM   #5

We absolutely loved the tours. Gives you more time to appreciate all the beauty without having to worry about the drive. Definitely recommend taking them.

Be aware that it can still get pretty cold in July.
Old 02-19-2022, 10:29 AM   #6

I saw the vehicle length resrtictions but then saw multiple CC LB SRW trucks like mine. Go figure.
We did the RBT a few years back. It's the best way really IMO. They're informative so you not only get some priority parking for pics but you get some detailed info about the area.
We did the Mountain Majesty Tour. 6-7.5 hours.
FWIW we didn't find the benches hard. LOL. The nice thing is if the weather's nice out the tops rolled back and you can standup for pics if needed.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 10:44 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
A word of caution. Glacier Nat Park required aGoing-to-the-Sun Road Entry Ticket before you can enter the park. 50% are available 120 days in advance or your arrival. In order to assure your access to the park you should purchase in advance. I have the web site below for your info. There are other Nat. Parks that require this entry ticket starting this year because of the volume of tourists.

https://www.recreation.gov/timed-ent...icket/10087087

Safe Travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE.
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 01:10 PM   #8

Thanks for all the responses. I talked to a few more folks and learned that the most dramatic scenery along Going to the Sun is on the east side past Logan Pass.

Since we will be hiking around Many Glacier once we move to St Mary, it didn’t seem to make sense to do the full Crown of the Continent Tour, as it would somewhat overlap, and would be a long day to keep the pooch alone in the camper.

Western Alpine tour would turn around just as the scenery would be turning more dramatic, so Mountain Majesty seems to fit our overall itinerary the best.

Good thing I didn’t delay in making a decision, as I was able to snag the last seats on the bus for the day we wanted to go! Tours just opened a few days ago, indeed they sell out fast.
Old 02-19-2022, 02:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV735 View Post
A word of caution. Glacier Nat Park required aGoing-to-the-Sun Road Entry Ticket before you can enter the park. 50% are available 120 days in advance or your arrival. In order to assure your access to the park you should purchase in advance. I have the web site below for your info. There are other Nat. Parks that require this entry ticket starting this year because of the volume of tourists.

https://www.recreation.gov/timed-ent...icket/10087087

Safe Travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE.
For what itís worth, my understanding is that you do not need an entry ticket if you have a scheduled tour of any kind within the park. Day of your tour your tour reservation number will get you into the park without a ticket.
Old 02-19-2022, 03:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
We were there 20+ years ago and, checking the specs of the Red buses, I realized some were built in 1937. This gave me some pause until I looked in the cab and saw a shift lever for the automatic transmission, then saw disc brakes under the front end. The "Jammer Busses", originally called that because the drivers clashed gears when shifting, had recently been mounted on class A motorhome chassis. The drive up to Logan Pass was wonderful, and I wonder what the mechanical condition is of the buses today?.
Yes they were built in 1937 and actually have wooden frames under the body. They have updated engines, transmissions, brakes, etc. The buses themself are worth the ride. You can tell they are meticulously maintained. Love the fact that the tops are rolled back for viewing picture taking. Like someone said you will want to take a sweatshirt or light jacket because by the time you reach Logan Pass it can get quite cool. Enjoy
Ben-Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 03:49 PM   #11

Ok, looks like luck isnít with us this year regarding Going to the Sun, late snow will keep it closed through at least July 13.

Our Western Alpine tour was booked for July 10. The furthest east they can go is Avalanche Creek. I assume a red bus tour to Avalanche Creek just isnít worth the money?
Old 06-30-2022, 05:12 PM   #12

Oops, Mountain Majesty was our booked tour, Avalanche Creek looks like almost the 2/3 way point?