Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2019, 09:37 AM   #1

Goblin Valley State Park

Has anyone stayed at Goblin Valley State Park in Utah in a big rig? When I enter my MH length (40') in the reservation system, I get 9 matching sites. But looking at the details of all the sites, I see a number of sites that show 55' site length, but max vehicle length of only 25' or 30' or 35' feet on some of them. Cross referencing with satellite view, the sites all look the same, so why the restriction? For instance, if you look at satellite view, sites 13, 14, 15 all look pretty much the same and reservation system shows site length of 55' for all of them. But max vehicle lengths are 25', 35' and 40' respectively. I'm confused.
DustyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2019, 11:41 AM   #2

All are back in sites, some are shorter than others. They're just basically warning you of that I think. Note that some of those measurements or length restrictions were likely from decades ago and just have never been updated. Looking at the satellite view, I'd say just go, don't worry about it. Doubt you even need a res this time of year since it's getting down to below freezing at night there now.

BTW, those state and federal reservation systems are notorious for having misinformation about this sort of thing. At least that's what my friends and I have experienced.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:07 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Some years back, i was having a difficult time trying to figure out whether or not we'd be able to fit our truck and 30' TT into a couple of sites at the Pinon Flats Campground in Great Sand Dunes National Park.

I called the campground directly and asked to speak to whoever knew the most about the campsites. It was suggested that I speak with the Park Ranger who took the photos for recreation.gov. I left a message for him, he called me back, recommended a great site (that I'd have sworn we wouldn't fit in) and that was that.

Now that it's too late to make a long story short, maybe you'd have some luck contacting the campground directly.

Although we didn't camp there, our family loved visiting Goblin Valley and climbing all around those incredible "goblins." Have a great trip!

Mary
4ina4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:02 PM   #4

We've stayed there with our 40' motorhome towing the Jeep. It's a small park and very busy so definitely make a reservation. If you're not a hiker then a couple nights would be sufficient. It's a very unique park.

We've used #1, 2, 7, 8, 9, 15, 22 (I keep detailed records of all the places we've stayed. )

Here are photos of the sites:

https://www.campsitephotos.com/campg...ey-state-park/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:38 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
It's small campground but really nice. Depending on the time of year one needs to book well ahead. I recommend going on the the Bell and Little Wild Horse Canyon hikes just a few miles away. Ask park ranger for directions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC600010_resize.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	354.9 KB
ID:	266474   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC500616_resize.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	266475  

Name:	DSC500605_resize.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	266476  
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:11 AM   #6

Twogypsies, the sites you stayed in were 7 of the 9 that came up as matching for me! I am guessing others would work as well since the back-ins mostly appear to be the same size on the satellite view.

And GregoryJ, the photo with a couple of big rigs in the sites pretty much cements it.

I have a couple of months before I can even make reservations for the month I am looking at, but I will probably contact an actual person before then.

Thanks everyone!
DustyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:45 AM   #7

For info, there are a couple of boondocking spots right outside the park on the way to Little Wildhorse Canyon which might be worth checking if you can boondock. Campendium will show you them..
JackieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 03:34 PM   #8

Goblin Valley in a 42' Motorhome

We were there in November, 2019. not crowded then. Our site was #21 nearly next to the bathrooms and nearly across from the dumpster. (neither smelled or was any problems). No problem fitting our 42' motorhome but it was a back in so we unhooked the toad and had room to park it next to us. this site has a sheltered picnic table so we had to watch that backing in.

Climbed all over the goblins in the park down the road. loved it. Dark Sky at night very cool.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5243.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	481.3 KB
ID:	274258   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5236.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	357.6 KB
ID:	274259  

HtlMajestic is offline   Reply With Quote